The Happy Thread

Duncy H

Wow, didn't know our Tom is a Dad, also congrats to Sci haha

That line about freedom is the truest thing, dang. You might get an hour of free time in a whole day, if you're lucky lol.

Well, when they're tiny they sleep a lot so there's a bit of a chance to get stuff done then lol

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Davetrials said:

Maybe happy isn’t the right word,

but I love the fact that British TGS hasn’t progressed that much and Damon just hopped on a bike again and is blowing every rider from the last ten years out the water*

*minus jack 

Got any links? I don't watch much trials these days! :D 

On 4/22/2022 at 2:36 PM, Revolver said:

Wow, didn't know our Tom is a Dad, also congrats to Sci haha

That line about freedom is the truest thing, dang. You might get an hour of free time in a whole day, if you're lucky lol.

Well, when they're tiny they sleep a lot so there's a bit of a chance to get stuff done then lol

Yeah 7 months ago, you'd know if you didn't become Kim Jon Tobias.

Its so good, Ray's just so happy all the time so it's a nice feeling to think you must be doing something right for him.

The freedom is the worst part of it all, but its no different to moving in with your partner or whatever, rather then you being split into half with you time and you and partner time, it's now thirds, but more like you and baby time or you, partner and baby time :lol:

We've been in Edinburgh for a few days and left Ray with my parents, it's a weird feeling not having him around. It's a feeling like you've always forgotten your wallet or something.

That said though Jenny's brother has just had a baby with his wife, would not want to go back to the new born stage, you forget how quickly how fast they change and grow, Ray holding his own head and sitting up is something I majourly take for granted now.

The monitor I ordered back in march randomly turned up today! Also, a massively overpriced gpu from eBay should arrive Monday. Only downside is I think the nvme drive I got on a hotdeal doesn't look like its going to be compatible with the Mac Pro :( but free amazon returns by June means I can try again after updating the firmware when the gpu arrives. Then I can transfer all the photos and iTunes library to the Mac Pro on separate drives and set up a win10 boot. 

Well that sucks that you can't just use any GPU :(
I had the option to buy an RX580 when I bought my GTX1070 three years ago, was about 175 quid back then but I went with the 1070 at the slightly more expensive 200 quid because it was faster.
Sold the 1070 for 300 quid last november and bought the RTX3070 for 469.

Yeah its a bit silly - ideally id have got a newer supported metal card like a 5700xt or something (can't remember exactly which ones are allowed) but to do the firmware it has to be supported in high Sierra/Mojave. There were a couple of cheaper options but those cards were ancient so didn't really represent great value either. The rx580 was £120 posted but only the 4gb version which is not ideal but needs must. Seems a crazy amount for hardware that old. 

:laugh:

I guess to be fair to apple if the owner had kept up to date over the years and done the firmware as part of it I could go straight to a newer card and Monterey. But yeah in general apple loves to screw your over. I still love it though. 12 years old and still relevant! The case is a work of art! It’ll be weird to have a windows machine again, but it’ll be useful for Claire for work. 

• 1 month later...

The van is back home!

ECU blew up on Easter Sunday and it's been away since, having a replacement transplanted back in.

It was a 98bhp 310cdi, it's now a 130bhp 313cdi :D

The suspension on the car is worn out and has gotten very sketchy to drive so having the second vehicle again is a life saver!

Got my new Hope Tech 4 Trials brake for the front yesterday, so no have a matching front and rear brakes. So much nicer than the Hope Trial Zones I was using before :)

Also got time off approved so I can go to Radfest for the first time, won't be able to ride much but should be fun! :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 2:05 PM, Mark W said:

How are you watching/following it, out of interest?

Eurosport via skygo. I get home from work at a really good point in most stages. They seem to miss a lot of the important bits in the highlights packages, so I try and watch live if possible. 

Wiggins on a motorbike is always a good laugh. 

• 3 weeks later...

The vape thread reminded me of something that made me happy (and still does).

Walked through Bristol 3 weeks ago and found a ton of trials spots that I just knew from vids (most memorably courtesy of @manuel and Matt). May have geeked out. My girlfriend may possibly have questioned my sanity.

Walked through the bit with the shops towards castle park and, these walls in front of me somehow ringing a distant bell, said 'I think I've seen someone riding these walls'. Walked through the park past the church and - picture a small kid entering a toy shop - exclaimed 'we're [i]here[/i]!' excitedly pointing to what in her eyes must've been a bunch of walls with some scuff marks on them. Skip to two mins later and we past the sloped wall up to the 'bridge' (repeat my exclamation) and then past the wine st. spot where I sort of managed to suppress another exclamation for her sake..

I never realised that all those spots were so close together! Bit jealous, I admit. :biggrin:

Pretty sure she did think I lost my marbles for a bit, but I showed her a couple of vids since and I think she understands now :tongue:

• Like 3

When I first moved to Bristol for uni, I could only navigate about the city using riding spots for the first month or so. This wouldn't normally be a massive issue, but they had to be in a very specific order, which was NOT the most direct way at all, so some of the freshers' events in the centre that should have taken me about 10 minutes to walk to were a 30 minute stumble home after a heavy session :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

This happened.

We were awake for 40 hours which totally destroyed me, so I can only imagine what Sheryl went through. Almost everything that could go wrong, did, but she soldiered through and handled it all amazingly.

The wee man is incredible and my mind is honestly blown. I never wanted kids when I was younger and even recently I've had a lot of doubts, but the moment he was handed to me it all changed.

They have one more night in hospital so I'm sat here with a rum & coke, gathering my thoughts and listening to music. It's all so surreal!

301273292_10166493871320587_4524682270830491357_n.jpg

• Like 11

Embrace the quiet :lol:

Congratulations to you both, its sick having a baby for the most part. Ray is nearly 1 now and it's awesome, hes nearly walking so its exciting, proper excited for it.

It gets alot easier very quickly so don't give up hope if you do find it difficult. By 6 months 7 or 8 feeds a day becomes 3 or 4 so you get alot of time between feeds, it all starts to feel alot less consuming. 

The first night at home is the maddest thing ever though :lol: Just kinda sent off in the deep end with zero idea what to do.