Chain enquiry.. KMC 510/610/HX... Motorcycle chains

Andeee

I have the 510hx and its decent enough, the 710 stretched just that little bit more. The 610hx (trial-tech lite) stretched the worst of all and felt "springy" after a month and that being the reason I've never ran one since. Never snapped any of these chains because they are strong for a few months and I dont expect a 350 odd gram chain to last more than 6 months tops, but as said chains are important as they keep you smiling and looking pretty!

Edited by gage-mann

I run a 710 on my blade, and I'm 16 stone. it feels fine to me, I don't think I could trust anything smaller now after snapping a 610 on my old inspired trying to do a fakie. I was gonna run a 910 but they are mega heavy

You and your mates mark must be the upmarket ones.

Definitely not the case. The guys I rode with for 3 years in London were all Southbank locals who were notorious for having shit bikes and never spending any money on them, and the guys I rode with in Newcastle when I lived there were all part of the 'NSF' thing so didn't have the whole pristine, colour-coded bike shit on the go.

• Like 1

I dunno how you guys break chains. I've had a K710 on my bike for almost a year on 16/14 gearing which is supposedly notorious for killing chains in an inordinately short amount of time. I think Andy T had a chain that was something stupid like 7 years old on his trials bike iirc.

Edited by rupintart

So i just received my gusset tank through the post.. fast service winstanleys!

I have always used the 3 piece style split links over the years and never snapped a chain on the split link.

A lot of people seem to run chains by joining it by the rivet. My last one was joined by the pin first time ever and went within 7 weeks which has kind of put me off.

The split link on the tank chain looks pretty damn fat and its the 3 piece style.

Suggestions? I seem quite lost on what route to go down :/

So i just received my gusset tank through the post.. fast service winstanleys!

I have always used the 3 piece style split links over the years and never snapped a chain on the split link.

A lot of people seem to run chains by joining it by the rivet. My last one was joined by the pin first time ever and went within 7 weeks which has kind of put me off.

The split link on the tank chain looks pretty damn fat and its the 3 piece style.

Suggestions? I seem quite lost on what route to go down :/

Join it by the pin; don't use the split link.

My last one was joined by the pin first time ever and went within 7 weeks which has kind of put me off.

That is purely coincidence.

The Tank chain is so huge you can join it either way and it doesn't matter - I would go with the split link as few chain tools can cope with it.

Definitely not the case. The guys I rode with for 3 years in London were all Southbank locals who were notorious for having shit bikes and never spending any money on them, and the guys I rode with in Newcastle when I lived there were all part of the 'NSF' thing so didn't have the whole pristine, colour-coded bike shit on the go.

Yes NSF! bulletproof bikes at low cost! reminded me of the NSF VHS... Souter's ledge tech and joe cox multiple combinations down the hate rail!

Completely unrelated post I apologise...

Their chains were ok anyway :)

1st time using my icetoolz chain extractor to shorten the tank and the b*****d pins snaps!!! Urghhhhhh

not to be a dick but I tried to worn you.

Big chain need Big chain tool. Ug.

Put a new pin in and try again, it will work eventually, i promise. :wink:

As for the split link, a bmx guy I mentioned earlier was in a hurry putting his tank on when he got it.

Only half joined the clip bit you do up with pliers (Fail, i know). he rode 2-3 miles to the park and half a day of riding before i noticed and pointed it out to him.

The clip was just hanging there and the chain wasn't going to budge any time soon.

He hadn't even noticed...

Edited by CC12345678910

• 6 months later...

Iv'e recently put on a kmx z610hx onto my new mod build and its been nothing but trouble. iv'e only ridden the bike round to get used to it, not actually using it for proper trials use and its constantly stretching and i'm considering replacing it already. i know its definatly the chain stretching rarther than the wheel slipping forward in the dropouts cos the brakes still work perfect. i've only used it for 1 hour riding time so far aswell, surely this isnt right

Sorry bit of a thread bump, but i have the same issue. lots of stretch on the first ride.. 5mm (total chain length)..hope it stays at this length.

My 16 st basher mate and i are both running Kmc 710sl chains 6 months at a time with no breakages.

Fitted using a 3 piece connector. As we tryed the split link and snaped those in a month.

I fitted a 610hx chain to another mates bike. It looked good and strong and u can use a regular chain splitter on it no need for a bmx tool

To Kidney and Ali I weigh 14.9 stone come on give us big boys a break. Were not all light as feathers and wear skinny jeans or even dress like one direction for a ride.

I weigh 15.9st and i have only snapped one chain which was an Orbital, haven't snapped my KMC 610HX and I've had it since November. Im in no way a smooth rider either.