09 Boxxer Maxle Rounded Bolt

Gaz96

On my 09 Boxxers I've managed to completely strip the 8mm Bolt and now my maxle is stuck on! Anyone know how to get the maxle off? Also would one of modern maxles, like the one on my Pikes fit in the 09 Boxxer? Would be a bit easier than the current one.

The internal bolt or the external bolt?

I usualy take out the 6mm parts with the thin axle from the centre and there is a larger Allen let fitting inside it. But if that's rounded then all you can do is hammer a larger torque bit into the rounded Allen key fitment and try to undo it again.

My Boxxer Maxle has a problem which makes it seem as though the bolt is rounded (it isn't) but it's really hard to describe. I'll do my best.

When you undo the first allen bolt, the wedge on the opposite fork leg sometimes doesn't come out evenly. This means that it doesn't expose enough of the other allen head (the one used for taking the maxle out fully), so you can't get any purchase. When you undo the wedge section, make sure the inner section of the maxle is evenly spaced between both legs. You may need to hit one end with a hammer. This might free up a bit more of the thread and allow you to use the Maxle as usual.

Does that sound anything like your problem?