Bucky

Hello All,

Not updated in here for along time.

Sold the commencal and built this:

11406792_10153320924324431_7443743261140

11040918_10153320924624431_3300005383227

11235386_10153320924559431_7680549405052

11407160_10153320924454431_5384987006882

I wanted a really clean light weight build. Got the frame for free, stripped it, put the wheels from the commencal onto it. then bought a loads of bits and fitted a load of old freebies I had. Not bad eh, probably around 350 spent on it.

I went with carbon forks as they were free, but thinking I might get some small suspension ones as it is bloody hard to hold onto the handlebars over rough terrain.

Cheers, Ash

PS, yes they are 05 Zoo! handlebars lol

EDIT: It currently has 30 gears, not sure all of them are necessary...

Edited by Ash-Kennard
  • Like 4

I've doubled my total number of bikes thanks to the arrival of my Dad's old Giant roadie:

LKUDacM.jpg

Didn't check what model it was but took it out for a spin earlier and it's pretty pacey. Feels nice and fast to ride - first carbon frame/fork roadie I've ridden, I approve.

I seem to have shit lungs (nurse called me out for having poor lung function when I got pretty ill a few years ago in Blackpool and was having trouble breathing), so having a blast on this from time-to-time will hopefully help sort things out a bit. Just need to work out if I can use Strava offline and then I'll be able to get a rough idea about whether I'm able to improve much over time. I don't give a shit about posting up times or joining leaderboards or any shit like that, I just want to be able to store a ride on my phone so I can get an idea of distance/time when I'm done. Seen people posting up mixed results, so going to give it a pop next time I'm out and see whether it works properly or not.

• Like 1

That's cool about the privacy, I just wasn't sure how accurate the tracking would be if it didn't have a 3G connection to follow me with. I read a few people who said that even without it can still pin-point where you are, but just doesn't show it on a map during the ride or something like that, and that you can only 'save' the ride once you're back with a net connection again (although you can finish it wherever/whenever).

It's got a computer on it anyway so it's no biggie either way, but it'd be interesting to see differences over a period of time.

Currently using some bright blue Shimano clipless shoes with it - cut-off jeans, T-shirt and blue disco slippers is a classy as f**k look.

Not sure if it'll help (I suspect your best bet is to just give it a shot) but I have no mobile internet at home at all and it manages to track me pretty reliably. I use a Garmin watch now but used to run the Strava app on both iOS and Android with reasonably accurate results. Used to save the ride/run when I got home to a wifi connection :)

Not sure if it'll help (I suspect your best bet is to just give it a shot) but I have no mobile internet at home at all and it manages to track me pretty reliably. I use a Garmin watch now but used to run the Strava app on both iOS and Android with reasonably accurate results. Used to save the ride/run when I got home to a wifi connection :)

Same, pretty much everywhere I ride (Dartmoor, Quantocks etc) has no internet at all, then will upload once i'm in the car back into civilization.

Ideal, thanks dude :) I've seen a couple of other people say they used a similar procedure so hopefully it'll do the trick.

Just need to learn to clip-in properly now and I'll be f**king up some KOM shit.

Don't make the same mistake I did...

My first "proper" ride on a roadie was a 55mile extra hilly sportive around Dartmoor and my cleats didn't match the old pedals I was using, despite my old man (ex roadie racer) guaranteeing me that they did. Got the whole way around clipped in the which was fine (though my feet were all over the place from the odd fit of the cleats) but when I got to the finish those bad boys were not coming undone.

Turns out that even as a trials rider who can trackstand for a reasonable time, it's still easier to just stack it than to try and balance whilst removing shoes if the clips won't release.

I think this is the exact moment I was disowned as a son

375011_10151453778078932_1811137577_n_zp

• Like 9

Haha, classy.

These cleats are a relatively loose fit in the pedal as it is so it's not too bad. Unclipping is pretty easy. The only thing that really f**ks me up is that all the clipless pedals I've used before have been the SPD type where you can clip in from either direction - with the ones I've got now it's one side only, and it seems the weighting of the pedal means that it falls to a really awkward point to just catch the leading edge of the pedal with the front end of the cleat to flick it up and round. I'm sure I'll get used to it though - that was the first time I'd used them and it was only a quick 14 mile ride (albeit with a f**king tonne of traffic lights) so I'd expect things to get better.

• 2 weeks later...

Big lot of upgrading gone on for me in the last few weeks. Did the 1x10 conversion a few weeks ago, now it's bedded in nicely and quiet as a mouse. Got a right bargain off gumtree last night, got a set of pro 2 Evo hubs on mavic xm319 rims for £90 all in. Well chuffed with it, can't half tell the difference now

Old tyre sidewalls had perished so picked up a pair of michelin wild grip'rs, light, grip really well and cheap with it :)

The barrel adjuster had stripped on my old xt mech (which to be fair was 18+ years old!) and was ghost shifting a fair amount so started looking to replace it and a clutch mech is the logical step. Unfortunately they don't come in 9 speed and my cassette and chain are both pretty new so upgrading to 10 speed seems daft.

Picked up a shadow+ xt mech for 25 quid, mated it to a sram x5 o speed shifter for a tenner and with the addition of a small aluminium spacer block works perfectly as 9 speed :)

• Like 2

I had the same dilemma. Wanted to upgrade to a clutch because my 9 speed SRAM X9 mech was humped. The cable kept falling out the guide and the joints were all flimsy.

After a search around I ended up just buying new. Went for a Zee mech from Chain Reaction as they were reduced.

Picked up a 2nd hand SRAM 11/36 off PB. My mate owed me a favour so gave me a XT shifter then I treated myself to a fancy chain. So all in it was about £75 to upgrade to 10 speed with a clutch.

Setting aside some time to fit it all next week :D

I've obviously not gone 10 speed but it's cost me 35 quid to get the clutch mech. Turns out it was a necessary purchase anyways as the b screw bracket snapped on the old xt mech rendering it pretty much useless!

Really impressed with the design and build of the shadow mech though :)

Edited by forteh