Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

New tyre shizzle. Got a pair of dual compound on one chunky monkeys for £25. 42a edges and 50a centres. Had a blast round pine on Monday morning, it was quite wet and claggy but the tyres were brilliant. Seemed to find grip almost anywhere

image.jpeg

She's getting there now. Only upgrades I have planned so far are going 10 speed with a clutch mech, narrow wide chainring (needs to be a tad bigger as well, since I ride it on the road a lot) and changing the headset. I'm really happy with everything else.

IMG_1480 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Some updates after getting this bike, new gears,chain,full service, new tires continental Baron 26x2.5 apex protection with downhill tubes.  x 2 and (heavy as hell) 

conti x-king tire 26x2.4.   x2 as summer dry weather tire. Lol

collage-1447674333829.jpg

Edited by 87Monty
  • Like 1

Almost sorted all the bits for my Dad's crimbo present so hopefully get some build pics up next week. Current spec is:

On One Whippet Carbon frame

Exotic aluminium forks

Deore/Mach1 wheelbuilds 

SLX cranks with Superstar N/W and XT 9 speed drivetrain 

MT2 brakes

Just need to sort tyres/tubes and some pedals, looking like the full build is gonna come in at just under £400 and should be a pretty tidy and lightweight trail thrasher! Very happy as the brakes are brand new off a new build that cost £50 and the cranks are also pretty much spanking for the bargainous £35!

Managed to get this beast brand new at a pretty good price! rrp is £1150 (as you can see) but picking it up for £750 ish soon! :D 2016 Cube LTD, got the new Deore XT stuff on it which is prettymuch the same as xtr stuff now, as well as the newer 11 speed shizzle, pretty well specced in the first place for the price let alone my price!! Happy days! (Y):D Changing some bits n' bobs on it obviously, this is just stock. Pedals, stem, bars, grips and tyres being the main bits.

22562096763_c17ea2453c_o.thumb.jpg.2783022821129089_ba21cfe0a0_o.thumb.jpg.fe39a22821129639_28ca1a2e67_o.thumb.jpg.46d6122893354440_12724cef8e_o.thumb.jpg.f334523163064526_597a646c3a_o.thumb.jpg.49795

Edited by JJ Leigh

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MadManMike said:

I'm not sure I'll ever understand CX.

Kinda like doing a road event on an enduro bike, I'm sure it's fun but I just don't get it.

Its not something I'm going to pursue but after attending a race I can see where the appeal is. For me the simple fact that it was challenging was enough for me to enjoy it. Challenging in the way that it was in fact a race and I had to push myself to keep ahead. Also that the course was hilly and my skills as a bike rider were put to good use with the twists and turns and the thick mud to pedal through. The whole getting off and pushing/carrying the bike up hill was all part of being challenged too. If you are strong at pedalling, that's great but its not going to win you a CX race if you cant mount your bike and get clipped in fast enough... Something I had a problem with!

Its also a good spectators sport. My friends were able to see most of what was going on by hanging around the race village and walking from barrier to barrier to catch different turns on the track. There was a guy on a mic shouting out the lap times and names of who was coming through the finish line, so folk would know how well the riders were doing etc.

Id be happy to answer any questions and divulge what limited information I have on CX races if you want to know more? :) 

Edited by Ross McArthur
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Its not something I'm going to pursue but after attending a race I can see where the appeal is. For me the simple fact that it was challenging was enough for me to enjoy it. Challenging in the way that it was in fact a race and I had to push myself to keep ahead. Also that the course was hilly and my skills as a bike rider were put to good use with the twists and turns and the thick mud to pedal through. The whole getting off and pushing/carrying the bike up hill was all part of being challenged too. If you are strong at pedalling, that's great but its not going to win you a CX race if you cant mount your bike and get clipped in fast enough... Something I had a problem with!

Its also a good spectators sport. My friends were able to see most of what was going on by hanging around the race village and walking from barrier to barrier to catch different turns on the track. There was a guy on a mic shouting out the lap times and names of who was coming through the finish line, so folk would know how well the riders were doing etc.

Id be happy to answer any questions and divulge what limited information I have on CX races if you want to know more? :) 

But would you not have been quicker/better off on a lightweight 29er hardtail say? As Mike says it just seems like CX is using the wrong tool for the job...

Drop bars are only a problem if you're not used to drop bars. I'm sure these CX riders are used to handling drop bars in the same way we can hop around on the back wheel and for it look unnatural to them?

And what makes you think the frame is too big? Do you think the 200+ riders at the race would have a bike with a frame that's too big for them? Ok that's me trolling. You mean the high top tubes, compared to a short seat tube and high seat post/saddle set up of a XC bike? The way I was told to mount the bike was to swing my leg over the back of the saddle. So all I was having to clear was the back tyre with my foot/leg. I wasn't stepping over the top tube, so that can be as high as it likes.

I was also told that the tyre width is such to cut through mud instead of floating around on top of it, like you would with a 2.1" or above XC tyre. And cutting though mud I did, that's for sure.

Wheel strength? What? The wheels I had were FFW Carbon jobbies. Felt plenty strong to me. Probably stiffer than my alloy 26" XC wheels actually.

As for the why does it even exist question. Err, I dunno.

15 minutes ago, Ross McArthur said:

Drop bars are only a problem if you're not used to drop bars. I'm sure these CX riders are used to handling drop bars in the same way we can hop around on the back wheel and for it look unnatural to them? But for off road stability/control wider bars help. It seems like drop bars potentially limit how well the bike will handle off road.

You mean the high top tubes, compared to a short seat tube and high seat post/saddle set up of a XC bike? The way I was told to mount the bike was to swing my leg over the back of the saddle. So all I was having to clear was the back tyre with my foot/leg. I wasn't stepping over the top tube, so that can be as high as it likes. But extra standover again is better for confidence and allowing you to move around the bike more to give more control (hence why MTBs and trials bikes tend to have smaller frames and longer seatposts). It shouldn't just be about how you mount your steed...

I was also told that the tyre width is such to cut through mud instead of floating around on top of it, like you would with a 2.1" or above XC tyre. And cutting though mud I did, that's for sure. I get that but again XC bike with skinny tyres would make more sense than a road bike with fatty tires.

Wheel strength? What? The wheels I had were FFW Carbon jobbies. Felt plenty strong to me. Probably stiffer than my alloy 26" XC wheels actually. That's fair enough- I was imagining road rims but I guess actually CX rims are probably more like 29er XC rims.

Is it not that the using the bike on unsuitable becomes the great leveller?  By riding in adverse terrain it's promoting bike handling skills that would otherwise not be used because the problems are masked by suspension and wide bars.

Take supermoto racing, you can be valentino rossi on tarmac but take your slick tyres onto dirt and mud and suddenly your road advantage is lost and all the people who can ride against the conditions are overtaking you.

As long as your cardio and stamina are good enough I would imagine anyone semi competent on a trials bike to find cx alot easier than say a pure road rider :)

• Like 1