Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

I've always seen Supermoto as the opposite of that though- big softly sprung dirtbikes that can hang with the road bikes on the hard stuff but I get your point. To be fair I can imagine that a road rider who also does CX in the off season being in a far better position bike-control wise than someone who's never been on mud. I guess in the same way that MotoGP riders often ride dirt track or MX over the winter.

I can't say I felt unstable at any point due to the width of the bars nor did I have a problem moving around on the bike due to the frame being too big. 

I did however run the stem in the + position instead of minus. Which my mate I borrowed the bike from laughed at. CX banter.

It was the first ever race I've done on any bike (excluding trials comps. The Euro boys call it w race, don't they?) and it was a lot of fun. I don't like to admit I'm competitive as I'd like to think I'm more humble than that but the beast was released as soon as I heard that horn!

3 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

Mainly the too big frame, drop bars, geometry, tyre width, wheel strength, brake/gear position/accessibility and the fact it'd be designed to work off road rather than being (from what I can tell having never ridden a CX bike) a road bike with slightly off road tyres...

You'd be suprised at how good it actually is. It has quite a big level of grip and is very predictable. I did sherwood pines full red route on it today, and it felt decent and grippy, if a little jarry on the ride. It's like riding a rigid mtb, but rolls faster. I've been riding road bike for years so I'm used to drop bars, (mine has the chicken stick bar top levers)and if anything it teaches you more about the purer side of riding, choosing your line and being really smooth, as you don't have 160mm of travel to bail you out should you be a bit ham fisted. And it climbs awesomely. And it's low maintenance, literally needs a bit of chain lube and that's it

Nobody is saying it can't be done, but put a rally car in an F1 race and see who wins.

Likewise, put an MX-5 in a rally with loads of Impreza's and see who wins.

It's possible to do, but it's not the best option. Much like rallying an MX-5 would be fun, I'm sure CX is, I just don't really get it - I'd rather use the right tool for the job.

Not a criticising the sport, it's just not for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm faster on my 160mm travel mtb, but it's like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut if you forgive the analogy. I got it because I'd got bored of mtb, i felt like it was taking away some of my skill and was just a case of how fast I could throw it down a hill and let the suspension do rest. I want to rediscover what I learnt all those years on a fully rigid, although this has slightly better brakes which I'm thankful for

19 hours ago, MadManMike said:

Nobody is saying it can't be done, but put a rally car in an F1 race and see who wins.

Likewise, put an MX-5 in a rally with loads of Impreza's and see who wins.

It's possible to do, but it's not the best option. Much like rallying an MX-5 would be fun, I'm sure CX is, I just don't really get it - I'd rather use the right tool for the job.

Not a criticising the sport, it's just not for me.

Yeah but it's not putting a rally car in an F1 race, it's putting a load of rally cars on an F1 track and seeing who wins.

In non CX bike news I may have picked myself up a free Spesh Rockhopper (Pro?) from around 2007. Long story short it got abandoned in the yard of a guy my dad works with by request of the police who were arresting the lad riding for being aled up. 3 months later and he hasn't claimed it so the official word from them is that he can keep it so he's passed it on to my Dad for me!

Not 100% sure on the spec but if I remember rightly it was 27 speed deore/XT drivetrain with Avid juicy discs and Rockshox forks. Should do for pootling about on!

• Like 5

On 1/21/2016 at 8:56 AM, MadManMike said:

I'm not sure I'll ever understand CX.

Kinda like doing a road event on an enduro bike, I'm sure it's fun but I just don't get it.

Sorry to use this as an example but I can't stop myself posting to say how much I hate the way the bike industry is using the word Enduro.

An Enduro is a style of race that you enter on a Mountain Bike, it is not a type of Mountain Bike.

Andreu Lacondeguy knows the score:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...