Post a pic of your non trials bike

Bucky

1 hour ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I love my T-130... Everything feels so smooth and fast on it! I know I'm biased but I do prefer my colour scheme to the black and neon :P!

Ha i genuinely  wanted the t130 S  Yari but they were sold out at the time, I worked for alpine bikes for 7 years so thankfully they managed to get me this one on a deal instead. How long you had yours bud? 

2 hours ago, monkeyseemonkeydo said:

I got a mildly second hand 2015 Works SCR, upgraded with Chris King/Pacenti wheels, just before Christmas. Came from a 2009 Commencal Meta so a fair difference!

Nice!!

out of curiosity what did you think of the meta?

Edited by Synergy

16 hours ago, Synergy said:

out of curiosity what did you think of the meta?

The Meta was my first full sus and I got on well with it but it was obviously fairly old school in geometry etc. I upgraded it to 1x10 with SLX brakes and messed about with the bars and stem but at the end of the day I fancied trying 650B and modern geometry so was on the lookout for something different. The T-130 was pretty bargainous for what it is and ticked all the boxes!

My new DH Bike arrived a week ago on my Birthday and after a massive hangover I slowly got it built up and ready to ride. I spent the last 2 days guiding in the Bike Park on it and I'm really happy so far! Yesterday was a fairly chilled intermediate jump lesson but today my clients were stronger and wanted to ride tech trails and discuss line choice so my day was spent mainly on black tech trails in disgusting wet conditions.

After demoing one a couple of weeks ago I decided to get a Norco Aurum C7.2. I still need to cut the seat post shorter, set the tyres up tubeless and get some new pedals but otherwise it's good to go as standard. I also have an air spring on order so I can get the forks dialed.

Photos as promised:

13612281_10154358170878896_4277900556962298593_n.jpg

13569892_10154346047243896_286849651_o.jpg

• Like 3

I've merged both my On One Inbred and my Giant Trance into one bike as I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get out on rides and I can't justify having two! I really enjoy having a hardtail, the Giant was a little too good at smoothing everything out and rougher terrain was no hassle making it less fun. The money from selling the spares I can use towards buying stuff for my workshop.

2016-07-17%2015.41.25_zpsc4huhjxm.jpg

I think I'll ditch the Hope/DT wheels in favour of the lesser SLX/Rockrider wheels which have been perfectly good enough for the past 3 years just without the lovely clickyness.

Do these prices (without postage) sound about right for the parts I have left? 

Giant Trance X5 frame and shock, resprayed but chipped heavily on the rear triangle £150

Rockshox Pike forks (worn bushes but still really plush, recently serviced) £50

Bare Deore cranks with BB £30

Hope Pro 2 hubs on 26" DT rims £150

Sunline V1 bar and stem £30

On one single speed kit (chainring, sprocket, spacers, KMC kool) £15

Tektro Auriga brakes, new pads £20

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on my marzocchi pheonix forks :)

Got the two replacement components machined, did a dry assembly run and all went together pretty smoothly.  Assembled the damper with a guessed shim stack, glued the bottom bung in and left it overnight to cure, rebuilt the forks next day filled with oil and something wasnt quite right because there was no compression damping at all; I think I had made the shim stack far too stiff and it was blowing the oil past the glide rings on the compression and rebound groups.  Stripped it all down again, took the shims out to rebuild it as the original marzocchi poppet valve (which to be fair is far from bad) glued the bung in and stuck it  under a heat lamp to speed up the cure.  Reassembled the forks again, put them on the bike, a couple of quick bounces later the glue comes unstuck the cartrigde dismantles in the forks and its back to stripping again!

Decide to revisit the design whereby the plug is glued into the bottom of the damper body, the cartridge is only 1mm thick aluminium tube so no way to cut a thread onto it, the only possibility is to glue a threaded sleeve to the bottom and thread the outside of the plug.  On investigation of tooling at work we have no M20 fine pitch taps or dies, manage to find some on ebay for 20 quid and get a brass threaded collar machined and bonded onto the cartridge body.  I threaded the outside diameter of the plug and hey presto a quickly serviceable compression damper group.

Assemble the forks (again with the poppet valve set up) as a test, there is a fair amount of initial stiction that shouldnt be there and there is oil weeping from the bottom of the compresison adjuster.  Back to pieces again, replaced a chewed up o-ring on the compresison adjuster and discovered that the stiction is because the cartridge is no longer sitting concentric to the stanchion tubes and is pushing the damper rod at an angle - going to destroy the damper rod and top glide bushing in addition to making the very top of the stroke (the bit where you want zero stickiness) really sticky.  After much deliberation I realised that I must have bonded the threaded collar on at a slight angle resulting in the slanted cartridge, cue a little (actually quite a lot) of tactical filing of the bottom plug and its now concentric again with zero stiction :)

Whilst it was apart I revisited the shim stack, working on a known base point I would assemble the cartrigde into the lower legs, fill with oil and pump the damper rod by hand whilst playing with the compression adjuster to see how the shims were affecting the stroke.  After 3-4 iterations I got a shim stack that gave noticeable low speed compression damping but still opened up with faster movements.  Put it all back together again with fresh oil and ride it to work next day (seeing as I finished cleaning the oil from the dining room floor at 2am!); the forks feel nicely composed, loads of support at the top of the stoke with very little pedal induced movement unless honking on the bars, small bumps dissapear completely.  If I remember correctly the shim stack is 15x0.15 - 15x0.2 - 8x0.2 - 14x0.2 - 12x0.2 - 11x0.2 - 10x0.15 clamped up with an 8mm clamp.

Just been out for a couple of miles including a short section round the local nature reserve and woods and the fork just works.  Thrashing down 20+ steep sleeper edged steps (with eroded dirt tops so not a smooth roll off) felt like rolling off a kerb, lots of successive high speed impacts just dissapeared and at no point did it feel overwhelmed.  Impacts when cornering were sucked up and flattened with no deviation from the front wheel, just tracking where it was pointed. Hucking a bunnyhop to flat off a 2 foot high bank (I know it is hardly big!) resulted in about 75% fork travel so high speed compression damping seems to be pretty good in that respect, need a touch more on the rear shock though I think.  Climbing hard on the pedals out of the saddle and over the bars gives about 2" of fork bob, I think I will add another 14x0.15 shim to the back of the low speed compression stack to see if that will quell the standing pedal bob a little without sacrificing the small bump compliance.

All in all super pleased with how the fork is working for the moment and glad that I have invested the time and effort to rebuild it!

TL:DR my forks are back together and better than they were because I fixed them :D

edit: just got back from a quick lap of cannock chase, the fork is sublime. Rides high in the travel, completely flattens trail chatter, opens up like a trapdoor when something big comes through and recovers instantly for the next hit; the worst of cannocks braking bumps were simply ploughed through as if they were flat.  Launching off jumps gives a lovely controlled landing, zero impact just a composed dissipation of energy; last time I rode was with the tst micro cartridge and in comparison to the shim stack it is diabolically bad off the same jumps.

To say that Im pleased is a massive understatement, the fact that the forks are performing so well on first attempt makes it all the better :)

Edited by forteh
  • Like 1

I've updated my CX bike. It's only a c2w boardman, but it's now 1x10 using a superstar n/w chainring. And I've bought some of those cable pull hydraulic brakes off eBay to try. They use old style shimano pads, but the compound they have used is a bit hard, so think I'm gonna go organic on them to see if it'll bite a bit more. They are a vast improvement on the old bb5's I had on though

image.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Finished building up my new Cube Stereo 140 HPA trail bike, full 2016 XT groupset, converted it to 1x11 instead, fox performance kashima shox front and rear, DT wheelset, rest speaks for its self. Lighter than my trials bike which is almost embarrassing haha! SUPER happy with this thing, beastly little machine to add to my arsenal! :D (not the best pics but hey ho)29322177172_ae8ed8e883_o.jpg

29055823900_440d3191d7_o (1).jpg29350697111_c8962e5416_o.jpg

Edited by JJ Leigh