26" gearing

niconmara

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has gone down a gear ratio. I was thinking of changing my current 18/15 ration for a 16/13 or 16/12. I know it will be a bit harder to run the 16/12 ratio.

Will it be noticeably harder with 16/12 ratios. And Will the 16/13 be the same as 18/15.

regards.

18/15 works out as 1.2

16/13 is 1.23.

The difference from personal experience is noticeable but not by much. Suitable if 18/15 has become not heavy, or fast, enough anymore

Thanks mate just what i wanted to hear(read). do you know how many links shorter the chain becomes.

By my calculations, going from 18:15 to 16:13 will only increase the ratio by roughly 2.5%, which I doubt would be noticeable.

If you changed to 18:14 however, that would be a 7.2% increase, which would be noticeable IMO. Not by much though.

16:12 would be around 10.08% increase.

Personally I'd go for 18:14, as it would only require you to change one sprocket and still gives a pretty big increase.

I'm considering the change from 16:14 to 16:13... Still not too sure; here's a calculator for you:

Do it, I bought a bike with 16:14 once. Tried to stick with it for a few days but it was awful, soon switched to 16:13. The difference was very noticeable I thought.

I'm not that good lol. Probably do 5-6 ft max, it just felt right if you know what I mean. Best thing to do is get a load of sprockets and try it. You can always sell them on when you don't need them

Cos riders like Tunnicliffe/Damon/Craig lee Scott have the technique absolutely dialled in. In Damon's case quite a lot of muscle to go with it. It's like all sports, practice makes perfect. In some cases, people are just naturally gifted at it

The neil tunnicliffe mister is running 18:16 is that any good, does anyone else run that?

I used to with 170mm cranks, TRA did too. It makes the bike feel more responsive, which is great for gaps and short run ups. I never liked 18:15 really, the bike felt way too sluggish with it.

so why does tunni nail them

Don't change your spec to match a pro riders bike, as they can usually ride anything like a boss.

I built a bike up very similar to Damon's bike, and it f**king sucked. Couldn't sidehop above 35 for shit, which is usually pretty easy on my mod which I have now.