Why brakeless is so unpopular?

clerictgm

Why don't we respect one anothers preferences when it comes to trials? Don't get me wrong, I haven't been into trials for a long time, actually I just started getting into it. The vids I have seen of brakeless riders do seem to carry a style of their own, but they would still classify as trials.

Maybe not by UCI standard, but hey f**k it. At the end of the day we're all in this for the fun of it right, so why not let the rider decide what's fun for them? I don't see why there's such an uproar about brakeloss not being pure trials. It isn't pure trials, but it's trials nonetheless.

How is it that a new-comer to the trials world posting in a foreign language can "get it" so much more than most people that have been riding for years?

A lot of people need to take a lesson or two from this guy! :P

The only thing I disagree with is calling it "pure" trials. Please don't do that - it implies the other aspects of trials are less worthwhile. I know it's only a word, but - to quote V: "Words offer the means to meaning" - and so are much more important than a lot of people give them credit for.

• Like 1

Related to that, relates to argument about brakeless trials n other sports that are somtimes not recognised or sneared at... Just somthing highly relevant IMO... "oh its just trials for people tht cant afford a bike"....

Cheers

Again, how is that related? Nobody said trials, brakeless or otherwise, or anything else wasn't a sport.

When people criticise other forms of expression separate to their own, what they're assuming is that they've worked out what's 'best' or 'right' and everyone else is just confused. Those people who are enjoying the wrong things should hear their criticisms and change their ways. To me this just suggests a kind of insecurity; the attempt to validate your own choice by having other people practice and agree that it's the 'best' way. In reality something like the choice of riding style is definitely a subjective choice - no right or wrong beyond what suits the individual.

There are things about riding which can better or harm our enjoyment of riding and that are pretty much true for everyone but whether you like this or that style of challenge isn't really one of them.

It's what also causes all the arguments in the TGS vs. Street debate as far as I can tell. It's a waste of time because it's based on a misunderstanding of what's subjective, what's not and when it is subjective whether there is actually any room or point to criticising beyond the insecure need to validate your own choices...

• Like 2

Related to that, relates to argument about brakeless trials n other sports that are somtimes not recognised or sneared at... Just somthing highly relevant IMO... "oh its just trials for people tht cant afford a bike"....

so because i find riding brakeless more fun, creative and enjoyable that makes me to poor to buy brakes or a bike with brakes.Some people just want to ride their bike the way they like it.

• Like 1

It's only like owning a old fast car. That's not cool. But you don't care what the corsa boys don't like it. Because you know how much better that old car is to you.

Brakeless or not. If you think your cool then you are. Does it really matter what others think.

Your out riding for your enjoyment bot others

• Like 1

When people criticise other forms of expression separate to their own, what they're assuming is that they've worked out what's 'best' or 'right' and everyone else is just confused. Those people who are enjoying the wrong things should hear their criticisms and change their ways.

Isn't this religion...?

• Like 1

Na i just like a decent debate, whatever side :) i was sort of under that imprrssion but my views have changes after learning what people have to say about it.

I think its good, but not for me as i like brakes. Changed from "its not trials cuz u cant compete in a trials comp"... Like u say official.or not its still trials.sport.

Cheers

Sidehoping a wall with brakes is trials

Sidehoping a wall without brakes is still trials

There's to many divides these days between riders I'd love to go back 10 years were every single rider had fun and there was no bitching

Just MEGA riding and MEGA laughs

There just bikes boys it doesn't matter if everyone rode the same trials would be pretty boring

Regards

• Like 1

There's to many divides these days between riders I'd love to go back 10 years were every single rider had fun and there was no bitching

Just MEGA riding and MEGA laughs

There just bikes boys it doesn't matter if everyone rode the same trials would be pretty boring

Regards

It is still like that. Just not on the forum. It seems like any topic about different styles results in a huge debate but I've never seen the same thing happen out on a ride. I think people have too much time to dwell on these things when they're in front of their computers but when they're out they're too busy having fun to care.
  • Like 1

I always love it when this point comes out in these threads. Am I the only one who can remember it being exactly the same 10 years ago, but the factions were calling themselves 'natural' and 'street'?

When the factions fractioned* we ended up with more in-fighting, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there to begin with. *Mon the biffy.

Edited by JDâ„¢

I always love it when this point comes out in these threads. Am I the only one who can remember it being exactly the same 10 years ago, but the factions were calling themselves 'natural' and 'street'?

When the factions fractioned* we ended up with more in-fighting, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there to begin with. *Mon the biffy

23467833.jpg

• Like 4

i love riding brakeless mod so much less hassle no grinding rims every day

not grinded my brakes in like 3 months and the grind is still good

its each to there own at the end of the day, everyone likes different riding styles. i rode brakeless these past few weeks because my frame needed to be repaired on the brake mounts. its ridiculously fun. its just what you prefer at the end of the day. but personally i will contiue to ride brakes.

Edited by ashleys sugden

When the factions fractioned* we ended up with more in-fighting, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there to begin with. *Mon the biffy.

I remember too, plus the "This is just BMX" arguments when every new TrialsKings video was released :P

You can even ride TGS without brakes.

But if in TGS if you really-really like some moves that can't be done without brakes, why almost every single street-trials(that alot closer to mtb:dirt/street and bmx) bike equipped with brakes?

And yet you can do almost all types of moves without brakes, so why there are only 1% of brakeless riders? It's really fun and challenging, and not so hard to learn. Plus this feel of absolute control of your bike, crazy balance and brilliant coordination.

Anyone can ride brakeless and stay alive(it's no more dangerous than trials with brakes). Some cool riders already proved that.

It's partially an image thing. Some people try it, found no advantage or fun so stayed with brakes. Some know it's just effort and a disadvantage for themselves. Some can't be bothered to re-learn. Others follow others (who have brakes). Some think it's too street/ bmxy/ uncool/ reserved for 24"ers.

Brakeless trials is fun for a change, but trying to ride pure TGS all the time would get dull, quick. This is pretty much shown from the majority of riders who are brakeless use the advantages for tricks and not for trials, where i found there wasn't a single advantage. Unless of course you felt the need to learn pedal pressure.

I rode brakeless bmx for years before i got back into trials so my opinion is probably different.

This topic got big, quickly!

To answer the title, because it's hard.

Depends what trials really. I think comp stuff the rider wouldn't finish, obviously on basic routes it would probably not be an issue. But street, unless you're trying to stop on the rear after a gap/ drop/ up the rest is easy. Tap, to manual. Gap, land sideways. Sidehop, ermm, jump?

At least i found TGS on walls no different.

Yeah, i'd get shit from my friends if i dared mention making a route on the streets.

Wecomes to the interents. While i think it's good, i also think it's bollocks. Love TF but f**k TF.

This thread's been really interesting, I understand why people get so passionate about it because I'm passionate about riding my bike.

I've grown up riding trials, mostly motorbike trials and competed 90% of Sundays for the last fourteen years. It's fun, i wouldn't get out of bed every Sunday if it wasn't.

And here's my point, riding your bike (any bike) is supposed to be enjoyable, it's meant to bring a smile to your face.

Surely if someone is riding their bike and having fun then that's enough, It doesn't matter if they've got brakes or not.

Personally I think it's close minded to write something off because you don't understand or aren't interested in it.

Different people ride bikes, and generally live their lives, in different ways. The world would be a pretty monotone place if we didn't.

I ride with brakes, I'm not very good with them on so I'd most likely be awful without them, but when i watch brakeless riding it blows my mind because I can appreciate how difficult it is.

Life's short, lets enjoy it and not worry too much about putting things in boxes.

Just my two cents.

• Like 1

So, afterall I hope that there are no stupid myths about brakeless anymore like:

Brakeless is dangerous (Don't ride brakeless without fullface if you don't want to loose your teeth!) - no more than trials with brakes. Also you can't fall off due to bad brakes.

Brakeless is very difficult - for me now it's easier to hop on rear wheel without brakes, than with brakes. It may be only a little difficult at first.

• Like 1

So, afterall I hope that there are no stupid myths about brakeless anymore like:

Brakeless is dangerous (Don't ride brakeless without fullface if you don't want to loose your teeth!) - no more than trials with brakes. Also you can't fall off due to bad brakes.

Brakeless is very difficult - for me now it's easier to hop on rear wheel without brakes, than with brakes. It may be only a little difficult at first.

well that is utter bollocks, of course you can fall off because of bad brakes. and it can be dangerous. it depends how hard you push yourself.

hopping on the back wheel is most certainly easier WITH brakes. thats just wrong.

not trying to cause an argument, but i felt that had to be said

• Like 1