has anyone made his own pad refills?

FamilyBiker

googled a lot and found some old topics involving ali c using urethane from ebay,if i remember correctly.

i want to get some urethane sheet from a company that produces industrial grade rubbers and stuff,making my own refills,so i´m asking about what durometer/material description etc i should look for.

thought about 85 shore a...

from a sheet for 25 euro one could make something like 100 sets of pads,how awesome would that be?

cheers for comments and opinions,and especially for advice!

Edited by FamilyBiker

The problem then, and presumably still now was/is that an 85A from one company doesn't necessarily line up with an 85A from another, despite the fact that it kinda should. By the time you throw in other additives that can alter the properties of the material (even down to things like the colouring) it's a little hit and miss really, so you've just got to aim for a certain ballpark and work from there using a trial and error technique rather than it being an exact science.

Pick up some cheap small samples from somewhere and go from there - if you stumble upon the right material quickly you may save a few quid but if it's going to take forever, be hassle to cut to fit and cost a fair bit in samples/material then you may decide it's not worth the fuss like most people did years ago :P

247022_10150217186648645_4449930_n.jpg

Only image I can find, but Steve@heatsinkbikes used to sell blocks of material for around £10 that would give you 8 pads or so.

I've still got 4 pieces of the snowie material, and 1 set of reds that I've very gashly knocked up into some pads

This is something that I also thought like one year ago! And I think that actually some pads companies do the same, so why not us?
Looking at some old VIZ brand pads that I have, there is written "hardness 85" and I'm really sure that is polyurethane with that shore... I remember that them were too hard, maybe trying with less shore..
I also contacted with some local companies, but only offers big sheet, the good was that I could choose colors besides to the shore.
Have you got any link for ebay PU?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/1-4-x-4-1-8-X-48-URETHANE-POLYURETHANE-85-A-BLUE-SHEET-/370692034279?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564ef78ee7

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PUR-Polyurethan-PU-80-Shore-Platte-420x-240x-5mm-/220789428923?pt=Kunststoffe_Chemie&hash=item33681352bb

atm i´m testing some pads that actually feel pretty soft,their bite and hold is awesome though.

need to find out the pu grade of those

pretty sure theyre selfmade from someone,glued to a plastic backing

Edited by FamilyBiker

thought so,got exactly those yellow pads in my hand right now and theyre like a skateboard wheel,pretty hard,fast rebound.

why do you think it isnt the durometer,out of interest?

There seems to be no applicable relationship between the number and designated use of the pads.

I'm extremely tempted to get some of this and just go for it, would they fit in CNC backings?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyurethane-Sheet-12-x-12-0-375-93-Shore-A-Red-/160935556243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item257881b493

EDIT- that was such a stupid question.

Edited by DrStix

something between 80 and 85 (both shore a)would be good i guess....

any harder would be like a plastic backing,and under 70 we´re in pencil eraser territory lol

edit:interesting find:http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/800511059/Hardess_Shore_40_80A_Pure_Gum.html

check the chart below,tensile strengths and co

edit 2:oh,seen its gummy rubber

will continue searching

Edited by FamilyBiker