What's going on with all the strong parts?

Blake

Right, getting a bit pissed off now with what's happening to the trials market, not because it directly affects me but because of how it's forcing a bunch of riders to quit riding trials. My main issue is Damon, Lazenby and Tunni being pretty much squeezed out of trials because there's nothing available to them that they can ride like they do, after every single move all these riders are just getting their allen keys in order to fix their bikes that are shit because everything they've got is made to be lightweight and not strong.

It's all fair having the availability for lightweight parts as there is a market for it and it's obviously successful but these days it seems you can't even get access to parts that won't crumble after one ride. Even deng who is supposed to be well known for strong parts is making lightweight guff that just breaks when used on proper street riding, you see it all over this forum and all over facebook too. I've even heard Trialtech are eliminating all their strong parts this year and bringing out a new SL range which will be all their products.

What I'm asking is for a decent company like Deng to revert to older methods and start making stuff that can actually withstand dropgaps because right now everything just doesn't last for the big riders, and everything is made for danny mac or coustellier.

Does anyone else agree? TGS should be an option again as it was a huge thing a few years ago but now it's gone nobody seems to care as long as they save their 100g.

• Like 1

I completely agree! I have the new TrialTech SL forks and as you have seen they are flexy and feel weird! All this lightweight stuff is forcing people to go smaller in fear that they will snap pats that they have paid top dollar for :(

Bring back old school parts! (Also silver rims) :)

• Like 1

I have the new TrialTech SL forks

Unless you're a sponsored rider, you don't... Strangely, Tunni has been testing those and they have been outlasting other 'strong' forks.

I've even heard Trialtech are eliminating all their strong parts this year and bringing out a new SL range which will be all their products.

Not true.

This happens because when there was a choice everyone was being a weight whore and buying the lighter stuff. Say you're a company, and you're making a wide range of parts but only half are being sold - what would you do?

The trials market did this to itself, you should all be ashamed of yourselves :P

• Like 1

He bought them from a sponsored rider he does...

And this is why most sponsored riders really get on my tits :) People getting stuff for free to test, shouldn't be selling it on IMO.

This happens because when there was a choice everyone was being a weight whore and buying the lighter stuff. Say you're a company, and you're making a wide range of parts but only half are being sold - what would you do?

The trials market did this to itself, you should all be ashamed of yourselves :P

This.

• Like 1

I blame Jack Harmer.

• Like 4

Agree, as well as overall quality...shity welds, bad graphics quality, poor alinement of the components...

Nobody will buy stuff that's 'made properly', they say it's too expensive.

On a similar note, there's a few brands / products we don't stock to 'protect' customers from themselves. Many people seem to just buy stuff by looking at the brand, the pictures and / or the weight, which is really frustrating for me to see.

If anyone wants to know what's a good product then please feel free to ask us for an honest opinion. Many times we've had this and we've actively dissuaded customers from buying a more expensive product because a cheaper one will fit their needs better (or not buying anything at all because what they already have is better for them than what they wanted to buy!).

• Like 1

Other brands will fill the void, just look at what JAF are doing. Damon's frame was off Josh and it was about the only part that didn't break.I'd like to see an inspired comp frame built like their street frames, I dare say it'd be a bit pricey though.

Nobody will buy stuff that's 'made properly', they say it's too expensive.

I'd like to see an inspired comp frame built like their street frames, I dare say it'd be a bit pricey though.

Point proven :P

(Not directly aimed at you - it's a common thing from speaking to customers).

Absolutely agree. Gaylight suxx. Also this isn't only because of weightwinnie fashion. The quality of components leaves much to be desired.

When I was completely n00b I killed:

2 forks (brand new echo urban 2012 lived just over a month of smooth tech riding)

2 freewheels

1 rim brake (echo tr) was absolutely dead also. even new o-rings did not help.

Quality and technology is pretty poor when price is pretty high.

47560931e323c06bf265a611c17f3211.jpeg 6ba9d688d4f6601327885ec365094fe8.jpeg 33e459e9a9e118c0f804b91cbfc06bfe.jpeg e86041c5f232183d43b463ed5f71185b.jpeg

• Like 1

Point proven :P

(Not directly aimed at you - it's a common thing from speaking to customers).

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have the money to buy top end parts. I think with other cycling disciplines there is a bigger percentage of riders that are older with a higher disposable income so manufacturers cater to them, unlike trials which is much smaller and includes a lot of younger riders with less money.

What I'm asking is for a decent company like Deng to revert to older methods and start making stuff that can actually withstand dropgaps because right now everything just doesn't last for the big riders, and everything is made for danny mac or coustellier.

Does anyone else agree? TGS should be an option again as it was a huge thing a few years ago but now it's gone nobody seems to care as long as they save their 100g.

Don't know how long you have ridden, but back in 2000? Deng had ZOO! and Echo. ZOO! Boa and Lynx were renowned for snapping / cracking and being light weight. Same with the Original Echo bikes such as the ES3 and later the original Echo Pure.

706d1102291257-zoo-lynx-complete-mod-lyn

Now you say everything is made for Danny Mac or Coustellier... I admit they are what pushing the sport forward at the moment. Danny with Redbull and Giles with being world champion so why wouldn't sponsors make stuff to their specifications since they are generating PR and in turn printing them cash.

Back when I was a TGS Basher and rode with CLS pretty much daily himself and Neil were the forefront of Trials and TGS was what everybody did. Sadly they dropped off the map to some extent and that side slipped into disarray as riders had to look elsewhere for inspiration. Aka Danny Mac & Giles.

Also as Adam said,

" Yeah, that's part of the issue. Plus, with the sport being smaller, the production batches are much smaller so the cost per item is higher... Vicious circle "

My main issue is Damon, Lazenby and Tunni being pretty much squeezed out of trials because there's nothing available to them that they can ride like they do, after every single move all these riders are just getting their allen keys in order to fix their bikes that are shit because everything they've got is made to be lightweight and not strong.

But if you think about it, they are only a few peoples riding that big.

The majority of riders that I know have no problems with the new lightweight stuff. And I run the middle light weight parts and haven't had that much problems actually. Parts do break and I think it's a bit wrong to just blame that they are lightweight shit.

You do have a point though.

Or perhaps its because there is no money in selling parts that don't break! Everybody loves repeat orders don't they? This actually annoyed me to so much I started flawless bikes, with the plan to sell decent components and a reasonable price! Don't worry guys the company is growing and we will be bring out parts that stand the test of time!

• Like 3

Well that is nice to hear but until you start bringing out competitively priced frames and forks you can't really say that they will stand the test of time as these are the components that require the most research and development to avoid failure

Also in regards to light things being shit that is simply not true. A well designed piece like middleburns can be both light and strong. It is the general shit quality light stuff which is crap buy the components you know you can trust. I used to destroy forks but trial tech ones have removed that annoyance but are still reasonably light. It's all about looking for the better designed parts

• Like 1

This is defiantly a problem with this new era of trials. However there still are some companies making super strong components. Tnn forks are basically bomb proof and would hold up for any rider for a lomg time. Tnn even has a proto frame that is supposed to be just as strong as well. Personally though I dont think it is enough though. it would be nice if there were a number of companies who deticated their products to more "agressive" riders who need the extra material. I would love to see stronger parts on the market so the tgs riders continue to exist.

This topic/argument is completely pointless and getting very boring now. There are some ridiculously strong parts on the market currently... try all produce undrilled rims, jaf and marino are banging out steel frames, heatsink still produce old school bits and bobs, avid bb7, pro2s, trialtech cranks, tnn forks.. the list goes on.

The bike Damon is selling is arguably the toughest bike ever produced, and it's still up to date geo wise.

Fed up with people crying over it on facebook.

MAN ZE FUARK UP

• Like 2

This topic/argument is completely pointless and getting very boring now. There are some ridiculously strong parts on the market currently... try all produce undrilled rims, jaf and marino are banging out steel frames, heatsink still produce old school bits and bobs, avid bb7, pro2s, trialtech cranks, tnn forks.. the list goes on.

The bike Damon is selling is arguably the toughest bike ever produced, and it's still up to date geo wise.

Fed up with people crying over it on facebook.

This.

The extreme trials riders are 5% of the actual market, and brands cant have loads of stocked products on their warehouse waiting for sell them. Making money on bikes is this.

And more, riders should try to be as smooth as possible since the first day of riding. Because is way nicer, way enjoyable as a rider, and your parts will last longer.