CAREFUL ABOUT MARINO PRODUCTS (AND OTHERS)

zoster

first one was carbon-steel, it broke, he made me a special price for a 4130 replacement (2), asked for a 26" frame as well (3), he messed up the geometry so he build another one with the right geometry (4)

Edit: first frame was ok build, no problems, and i thought it was god send, since i had 2 mielec bikes before that had some geometry problems)

i have a marino custom build 4130 fork, and this is what happened:

post-13202-0-05062400-1379015224_thumb.j

resulting in a friend of mine that just borrowed my bike to see how i handles to look like this now:

post-13202-0-11364300-1379014845_thumb.j

The part that you don't see is below the pathc, where he has a cut that goes right to the bone (it looked like a slit tennis ball when he got up from the crash), which had it been somewhat lower, he would have lost his eye, and even lower, meaning on the neck, he would have lost his life, as happened to a kid just a month or two ago in a very similar accident. The same thing could have happened to me, since it is my bike, and this could also have happened in traffic...

The fork broke while he was doing a small bunnyhop on flat... The cut is probably from the broken area of the fork, which is extremely sharp.

here are some more pics:

post-13202-0-31926100-1379016281_thumb.j

post-13202-0-70590000-1379016281_thumb.j

also have 3 marino chromoly 4130 frames that i can't really trust now...

I also have one of these lesson forks, which is also a custom fork, which might be a lot better build, but i don't know if i should trust custom forks again...

post-13202-0-23839700-1379016392_thumb.j

Edited by zoster

man,is it so funny for all you guys here that i am interested in whats going on with marinos products?

i´m riding that stuff for myself.

its just that i´ve heard from or seen dozens of establish trials brands forks snapped,and this is the first marino fork.

maybe at some point mine´ll snap too,but nothing lasts forever,i´ll see.

theres so much questions as "how old were those forks" and "what did he do to his forks before his mate did a small bh"(like hooking and stuff),to ask,before i find it acceptable to slate marino for producing stuff that doesnt last forever,as none of the others products do.

sorry for your mate though,hope he´ll be fine soon

Edited by FamilyBiker

of course it's not because of the bunnyhop, but i didn't abuse it much either, and it should stand it or at least not brake in such a menacing way, those scattered ends cut like hell...

edit : i've been doing a lot of this kind of stuff lately

Edited by zoster

From the corrosion shown on some edges I guess the fork had been cracked already before your friend crashed.

Now, I broke a Surly 1x1 fork some years ago, should this mean that nobody should ever buy a Surly bike again?

Nico.

p.s.: How old was the fork?

Edited by niconj

MY BOTTOM(ish) LINE:

i changed the title, since maybe the heat of the moment made me a bit more intransigent. I kept the capitals, since i think this is something people need to be wary about.

i try to be as fair as i can, so here is the history of this fork:

i was the only owner. i got it 3 years ago, but it hasn't been ridden 3 years. i think 1 year is a fair approximation, 1.5 at max.

it was used on 2 bikes: the one in he youtube clip above,doing beginner fixed gear freestyle tricks and mocking around (nothing above 2 feet), and a 24" street-trials bike doing novice stuff like in the link below, nothing above 3 feet.

I really don't think this kind of use should make a fork that is build for abuse to crack like this, therefore i believe marino is responsible, even though i do think he is generally a good guy, BUT i have 3 of his frames (had 4), and a close friend has another, and 2 forks, and there were all sorts of problems due to lack of carefulness in manufacturing (misalignments and such), which makes me think there can be other problems in his products that are less visible and can lead to accidents like this one.

PS: i didn't flex or show other singes of cracking beforehand. the youtube clip seen above is filmed just minutes before it broke, and i didn't feel any wobbling or anything when landing it.

I have 3 of his frames (had 4), and a close friend has another, and 2 forks, and there were all sorts of problems due to lack of carefulness in manufacturing (misalignments and such)

If the first frame isn't like you expected it to be, why the hack do you buy a second and even a third and fourth frame? Doesn't make any sense.

Nico.

MY BOTTOM(ish) LINE:

i changed the title, since maybe the heat of the moment made me a bit more intransigent. I kept the capitals, since i think this is something people need to be wary about.

i try to be as fair as i can, so here is the history of this fork:

i was the only owner. i got it 3 years ago, but it hasn't been ridden 3 years. i think 1 year is a fair approximation, 1.5 at max.

it was used on 2 bikes: the one in he youtube clip above,doing beginner fixed gear freestyle tricks and mocking around (nothing above 2 feet), and a 24" street-trials bike doing novice stuff like in the link below, nothing above 3 feet.

I really don't think this kind of use should make a fork that is build for abuse to crack like this, therefore i believe marino is responsible, even though i do think he is generally a good guy, BUT i have 3 of his frames (had 4), and a close friend has another, and 2 forks, and there were all sorts of problems due to lack of carefulness in manufacturing (misalignments and such), which makes me think there can be other problems in his products that are less visible and can lead to accidents like this one.

PS: i didn't flex or show other singes of cracking beforehand. the youtube clip seen above is filmed just minutes before it broke, and i didn't feel any wobbling or anything when landing it.

You pays yer money, you takes yer chance.

Marino is cheap. Cheap does not buy R+D. R+D costs money. R+D ends up with Inspired-esque prices. Some people can't stomach that cost, so they buy Marino. I'm one of them. I love my Marino, but I won't be surprised if/when it breaks. I just hope I won't get hurt too bad if/when it does.

Everything breaks when you abuse it, and trials is abuse.

Nico.

I can assure you that we can see who you are from your username, you don't have to sign off every post with your name.

Jason.

If the first frame isn't like you expected it to be, why the hack do you buy a second and even a third and fourth frame? Doesn't make any sense.

Nico.

first one was carbon-steel, it broke, he made me a special price for a 4130 replacement (2), asked for a 26" frame as well (3), he messed up the geometry so he build another one with the right geometry (4)

Edit: first frame was ok build, no problems, and i thought it was god send, since i had 2 mielec bikes before that had some geometry problems)

Edited by zoster

Even though on the internet, I try to have some etiquettes dear Jason.

NICO!

How is it possible that using more of my 0s and 1s to display the page is in anyway showing etiquette? Here on the internet we have a cute term called 'netiquette', and you just found your tutor. Congratulations.

I know I wouldn't keep forks for 3 years!

I know of several people that have snapped Inspired forks in under a year, they just didn't post it on here or got lucky & didn't get injured. Doesn't mean they're crap, they're really good forks, it's just a rough sport, you need to decide when it's time to replace stuff.

These are £50 custom lightweight forks, they're steel & barely weigh 1kg. For that rock hard tyre street stuff you need something heavier & beefier. (Judging by that skinny slick tyre)

Edited by LEON

they flex a fair bit due to the heat treatment,it seems to add a good amount of elasticity.i have one of the new ones too,i´m far away from riding like ross but do much to-front stuff since a while,becaus i´m practising that a lot.

zosters wasnt heat treated,and in that weight range its pretty important to do it(in my opinion)

to be honest i´m surprised how they hold up until now,with 1010g i didnt expect much life from them...

i think the heat treatment makes the difference in this case