Such a hard choice (inspired arcade news and info)

nicolasp1405

Hard to say with Matt Staples, but played a major contribution to the first stage prototype development of the fourplay before he quit riding and joined the Marines.

The geo and set-up of the Arcade would suit Matt's style of riding down to a tee.

Edited by Rusevelt

the Skye geo is vastly improved with the shorter back end, but 10mm bb rise and 73 head angle? No thanks.

Horses for courses thought.....I personally like the low BB and 73 isn't exactly slack so no issues there. Having said that I'd be intrigued to try the shorter stays but a steeper head angle wouldn't be my first priority as sometimes the steepness catches me out as it is.

The arcade looks very fun but it looks mental steep and it'd be interesting to see how figity it is. I think a balance is needed.

The arcade looks very fun but it looks mental steep and it'd be interesting to see how figity it is. I think a balance is needed.

Interestingly (maybe...), Ben Rowlands' JAF used to be 75.5° and he mentioned possibly wanting to go a bit steeper.

Only in the sense that any bike can be dangerous. You just adapt to the geometry. It's similar to how BMXs used to have 74° head angles, then 74.5°, then street and flatland frames moved up to 75° while dirt frames stayed nearer 74/74.5°. Now they're getting steeper again with some being 75.5° and 76° (and some randoms in between) which would have been unthinkable 3-4 years ago.

When I switched from 74.5° to 75° on my BMX it felt pretty twitchy but I got used to it and it was fine. When I first got on my Arcade it felt nippier than my Fourplay, but you get used to that and take it into account.

Interestingly (maybe...), Ben Rowlands' JAF used to be 75.5° and he mentioned possibly wanting to go a bit steeper.

Bloody 'ell that is steep. I'd be really interested to try it. I think switching between a MTB, road bike and trials bike the trials bike is naturally the steepest so it always feels really nimble when I'm on it.

I'd certainly be interested in less rake on my forks, but also for aesthetic reasons as they look a little far out.

It's true what you say though that you do adapt to a bike and then get used to its geo. I actually find the more bikes I ride the easiest the transition becomes.

Interesting you mention that. I used to find it pretty tricky to swap between my BMX and my Echo Urban, and then from my Purple Sky to my Inspired. Everyone kept telling me I'd get used to getting used to stuff, but I ended up just not riding my other bikes in the end :P

It's only a very recent thing. I used to hate it going from one to the other (MTB-trials bike). It's only in the last couple of months that it doesn't really cause any issues. It could also be down to the fact I'm on a bike nearly (if not) everyday so it's just bike handling skills in general sharpening up (possibly).

I went on my Skye on Sunday after a couple months off it and thought it'd be awful but it was normal right off the bat.

I know discussing head angle is a much mocked subject but it's funny seeing both sides with street trials riders wanting to go steeper and steeper and mtbers wanting to go slacker and slacker I think that's why I'm not on the extreme either way. I'm against MTBs continually getting slacker (whilst appreciating why people want it) due to riding trials and enjoying a steeper head angle but wonder when an extreme/trade off is met in the reverse (in terms of trials bikes). I'm surprised no one has experiment with anglesets in trials...