Koxx enter liquidation

Mark W

Absolutely but I would write a strong but formal letter indicating that I'd sought legal advice and would be seeking remuneration and compensation either from him personally or from the firm dealing with the liquidation. Particularly if I was going to put it online I'd be careful to keep it professional.

Comments like "All of this really make me believe that the end of Koxx WAS PLANNED !" make him sound like Dave Anscombe is all.

As an aside to this, how come prize money is paid to the sponsor and not the athlete? That seems a bit odd to me? Are they not given one of those giant comedy cheques on the day to take down the bank?

I think he means win/podium bonuses. But no, no giant novelty cheques - that's a little too flamboyant or light-hearted for the UCI ;)

But yeah, I mean you can kind of see where Gilles was coming from with the "It's almost like it was planned" thing. It happened to go down pretty soon after the UCI World Cup wrapped up for the season, the Hashtagg site had been up since mid-September (which suggests Dom at least knew something was up?), and it just seems like the writing had been on the wall for a while.

As an aside to this, how come prize money is paid to the sponsor and not the athlete? That seems a bit odd to me? Are they not given one of those giant comedy cheques on the day to take down the bank?

I'm guessing it will be bonuses from the company for certain results, and not have anything to do with prize winnings.

But yeah, I mean you can kind of see where Gilles was coming from with the "It's almost like it was planned" thing. It happened to go down pretty soon after the UCI World Cup wrapped up for the season, the Hashtagg site had been up since mid-September (which suggests Dom at least knew something was up?), and it just seems like the writing had been on the wall for a while.

Yeah, I know what you mean and can understand Gilles' annoyance but seeing as he admits that he knew they were in a bad financial place for a long time surely he's guilty of not jumping the sinking ship... Just take a look at Koxx’s financial results in 2012 and before : the company was loosing a lot of money. And even with this bad financial situation, you kepts on scamming people.

That doesn't sound like a company it's a good idea to continue to be involved with. Don't know where I'm leading with any of this just playing Devil's Advocate.

If you don't know the full story about it, but you find out there's been a new investor and so on, I guess you might buy into the "Things are going to get better" line? Similarly, I doubt any of the other trials companies out there were likely to match the deal Koxx had put on the table for him.

I doubt any of the other trials companies out there were likely to match the deal Koxx had put on the table for him.

Im gonna sound like a douchebag (especially as I know shit all about the situation :P ), but to me, the only reason he doesn't/didn't have a better option is because of the way he seems to conduct himself and the way he approaches his career/riding/media approach. He is immensely talented and a world champ, but he doesn't really seem to offer a potential big time sponsor anything. I guess its his choice.

• Like 1

Yeah, fully agree with that about outside sponsorship, but I meant in terms of a trials bike/parts sponsor. None of the other bigger trials companies seem to really have much of a push for media from their riders so I guess just having the World No.1 would be best for them.

But yeah, with how good Gilles is if he could start putting out better photos/videos from time to time it'd probably help him out a lot financially with other sponsors (e.g. what Kenny does/is doing).

I wonder how many DH riders would be able to carry on racing DH next year at top level if they relied on just one sponsor for income and support?

Hopefully this situation will push Gilles and other riders to think a little bit more out of the box when it comes to sponsors which will help attract more attention and money from outside the sport.

It's kind of a shame, but I feel that Koxx has been going downhill since I got into trials... or just as. I remember going to a few tyketrial comps back in... what 2004 now? A lot of people has koxx's in intermediate+. But after that with the whole t-pro/level boss thing where they were the same frame, they became just too over priced, and then the whole echo products started to overtake their products they became super expensive for top comp riders and not really selling much to the average rider.

They played a massive part in the development of trials but just didn't keep up.

Also mark I agree very much with what you were saying at OTN on the whole comp scene being more about strategic dabs than actual riding. Would be awesome if the rules were scrapped and started a new. Would be interesting to have easier sections where by you had to clean a section for it to count, you get a certain amount of attempts to clean it for a point. Don't clean it no points. Winner is the person who cleaned the most sections. In case of a draw it would be the person who cleaned the most sections on their first attempt. Would wipe out strategic dabs all together. :dance:

strategic dabs can be awesome though there are some crazy ones about

Yeah but really when going to a trials competition, I'd like to see actual trials rather than... yoga.

• Like 1