People who work outside a lot crew, huddle in here.

N.Wood

My job means I am outside a lot, often just to stand around supervising which = Great in summer, ice cold in winter.

Last winter in particular I got COLD and hated it. Trying to combat that this year.

So looking at Dunlop Purofort Thermo + boots http://www.bestinthecountry.co.uk/country-clothing/steel_toecap_wellingtons/dunlop_purofort_c662933_thermo_safety_wellington_green/97861_p.html#.Ul7LsRCYETA . Meant to be good for - 40.

Also looking at some sort of merino baselayer.

Anyone use the dunlops / have any good products to keep themselves warm?

In terms of base layers, I mention them every time but the Uniqlo Heattech base layers work well for me. I've worn them the past 5-6 years or so - I spotted them the first winter I lived in London when I was getting f**king cold in the winter standing/crouching/lying around taking photos of people riding. I've tried a couple of generic merino baselayers but generally prefer the fit and feel of the Heattech stuff. Most base layers I've tried have had a f**king weird cut, and seem to have quite a short body on them. The Heattech ones have quite a long body so you can tuck them in to whatever you're wearing on your lower half so they seem to keep heat in much better in that sense. They just generally work well at keeping you warm too, plus as they're so thin you can wear more than one if you want to layer it up a bit. They often smash out deals on them too so it might be worth signing up to their mailing list and seeing if anything pops up over the next couple of weeks.

In personal experience standing still marshalling winter xc races for 8 hrs and the like, an outer sock with pronounced weave with a decent inner seems best, allows for more trapped air and reduces your skin compression against cold surfaces of boots. I didn't need/have winter specific boots though.

Also used to have some army/hunting mittens which flipped down to allow you to use your fingers freely. I got them in an army surplus, possibly German or Scandinavan? They were great, I used to stuff a gel handwarmer in the fold over bit so when I had to reheat my fingers it was easy!

Also polartec buff (other brands are available) if its windy!

In terms of base layers, I mention them every time but the Uniqlo Heattech base layers work well for me. I've worn them the past 5-6 years or so - I spotted them the first winter I lived in London when I was getting f**king cold in the winter standing/crouching/lying around taking photos of people riding. I've tried a couple of generic merino baselayers but generally prefer the fit and feel of the Heattech stuff. Most base layers I've tried have had a f**king weird cut, and seem to have quite a short body on them. The Heattech ones have quite a long body so you can tuck them in to whatever you're wearing on your lower half so they seem to keep heat in much better in that sense. They just generally work well at keeping you warm too, plus as they're so thin you can wear more than one if you want to layer it up a bit. They often smash out deals on them too so it might be worth signing up to their mailing list and seeing if anything pops up over the next couple of weeks.

Cool, will check them out (Y)

In personal experience standing still marshalling winter xc races for 8 hrs and the like, an outer sock with pronounced weave with a decent inner seems best, allows for more trapped air and reduces your skin compression against cold surfaces of boots. I didn't need/have winter specific boots though.

Also used to have some army/hunting mittens which flipped down to allow you to use your fingers freely. I got them in an army surplus, possibly German or Scandinavan? They were great, I used to stuff a gel handwarmer in the fold over bit so when I had to reheat my fingers it was easy!

Also polartec buff (other brands are available) if its windy!

Will keep in mind, cheers.

Southern pussaaaayyyyy.

Back in your box, office boy.

They look good, I need steel toe cap and midsole though.

• Like 1

I use merino wool long-johns in the winter. Makes a huge difference. The best boots for you would be ones with neoprene lining. Either Le Chameau, or the cheaper ones that I use are from Seeland. Leather lined are good all year round, but neoprene should keep you warmer in the cold, but sweaty in the summer.

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1678http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_detail.asp?productID=1678

EDIT: I've got the leather lined Seeland boots, which come with Vibram soles. Grip like mad!

Edited by Luke Dunstan

Merino baselayers are the shiznit. Make sure you get them with a snug fit.

It's worth wearing lots of thin layers too rather than thick ones, that goes for legs too which people often forget. In the snow last year I was wearing merino long-johns, some stretchy Craghoppers trousers as a mid layer then a water/wind proof pair of outers. Stayed warm without getting sweaty, fairly non-restrictive too as far as winter clothing goes.

You recommended me to buy these in 2010 for riding in winter. I bought the whole set in black and I used to dress up solely in these and jump out and chase people in my Uni halls all the time on my floor hahahah.

I looked like a massive black rubbery condom.

• Like 2