Spanish ISIS bottom bracket bearing change

matthew_coggan

My bottom bracket has exploded on my Echo 24, not that happy as it hasn't had much use. I thought I would have to chance the whole bb but have since seen the bearings on tarty so got a few questions on how to change them.

One side of the bb is open as its come open and the bearings have all come out so will I be able to punch both sides out with a screw driver?

If so can I then put the new bearings in knocking them in gently? Or would I need the proper tool?

Any alternate advice am happy to listen to as am clueless with these Spanish bottom brackets.

Best way to do it without having the proper tool, is to get a piece of threaded bar, m12 minimum size, with nuts, and 2 large washers. Get the bearings started in the frame, put the threaded bar with the 2 washers on the outside of the bearings, with the bar running through the middle. Then wind the 2 nuts together and it should drive the bearings in flat and square. Then simply install the axle, and the job should be a good un. I have one I had made, but instead of the washers I have 2 pieces of 2" square steel plate, 10mm thick, with holes drilled in them. I use this as a headset press as well

Edited by bing

Best way to do it without having the proper tool, is to get a piece of threaded bar, m12 minimum size, with nuts, and 2 large washers. Get the bearings started in the frame, put the threaded bar with the 2 washers on the outside of the bearings, with the bar running through the middle. Then wind the 2 nuts together and it should drive the bearings in flat and square. Then simply install the axle, and the job should be a good un. I have one I had made, but instead of the washers I have 2 pieces of 2" square steel plate, 10mm thick, with holes drilled in them. I use this as a headset press as well

the axle has 2 flanges that sit against the inner faces of the bearings so that might not be the best idea!

although you could install the first bearing that way :)

• Like 1