Anime

1a2bcio8

Does anyone here watch it? I've not found it to be something many people I know are into. I pursued it after feeling like I'd exhausted the world of Western television and film, in terms of what interests me and so far it's been very rewarding and different.

I just this minute finished watching Full Metal Alchemist which at the start I imagined myself not enjoying but it was immense. The world was interesting, it had meaningful themes, comedy and was intelligent.

Some of the others I've really enjoyed recently are Cowboy Bebop, Berserk and Basilisk.

Anyway, it would be cool if anyone has any recommendations for anime.

I'm expecting the possibility of tumbleweed :P

I'm not one for modern anime, I prefer the older 80's and 90's stuff, mainly films with the odd series like Guyver, Fist Of The North Star, Dominion Tank Police, 3x3 Eyes and one of my particular favourites Doomed Megalopolis which is rumoured to be where the inspiration for the design of M Bison (or Vega if you're being anal) from the Street Fighter series came from.

I'd definitely recommend watching that last one if you can get hold of it.

Filmwise there's loads that I like, obvious ones are Akira and Ghost In The Shell, other less well known ones would be Devil Man, Ninja Scroll, Dangaioh (easily a massive influence on the recent Pacific Rim movie), Macross Plus, Street Fighter 2, Roujin Z (one of my favourites), Crying Freeman, GoShogun and it's sequel which is superb Time Stranger.

In the mid to late 90's Channel 4 used to change to 4later after midnight showing all sorts of shows and every week they used to religously show either an anime film or series which is where I originally saw 3x3 eyes and Doomed Megalopolis. I know I've watched more than I've listed but tracking down the names is an absolute nightmare when you've only got a vague memory in your head, took me about 3 years to track down the name and finally a download of Doomed Megalopolis last year after first watching it in about 1997ish.

Thanks that's a wealth of possibilities in your post.

I've watched Fist of the North Star and Ninja Scroll. The former was alright but the latter was amazing. Ninja Scroll got me looking into Ninja anime and led me to Basilisk. I've also watched Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I found them mediocre compared say Ninja Scroll or the other stuff I've listed.

Also Princess Mononoke and the other films by the same director are really good. They feel as though they have a strong message even if I don't always understand the particular Japanese symbolism.

Have you watched any of the modern anime I've listed out of interest?

No, my sister is a massive anime fan thanks to me (so much so she ended up doing animation at uni and now works with the woman who drew Jessica Rabbit who incidentally lives over the road from my mum on a god forsaken Island off the coast of Scotland) and she's well into Bebop and FMA. Off the top of my head the few modern things I have watched are Heat Guy J and Blood+.

Out of interest when you watched Ghost and Akira was it the English dub or subtitled? Personally I prefer to watch them in the original Japanese with subtitles as they tend to put a lot more emotion into it, though saying that there were quite a few pretty standard anime voiceover actors who did some good work and were in quite a few mainstream cartoons.

Forgot to mention the Urotsukidoji films though by the third they go a bit too wierd!

I really like Akira, so well done and pretty mental story. I also like Cowboy Bebop, has a great feel to it and I like how it's drawn.

I used to watch Dragon Ball (Z) with a passion, it wasn't as good when it went to the American animators but I still followed it.

Paprika is immense too, well worth a watch if you've not seen it, same goes for Venus Wars, I really like the 80's Manga style.

I've only watched Baccano and Durarara (I think that's what they're called) after seeing praise for them.

I thought they were great. Very strange and dark themes and they take a few episodes to get going, but both provide an exiting ending.

The version of Baccano I watched was an American dub, and Durarara had English subtitles. The american voices in Baccano seem to work better than you might imagine.

I watch everything dubbed. I dislike having to take my viewing away from what's happening to understand what's being said. To be honest, I've never sensed anything lacking in the dubbed versions but then I don't have an experience of the subbed to compare it to.

Ali, you should check out 'Cat Soup'. Sureal cat anime - very interesting stuff!

Thanks for all the recommendations though. I will definitely check them out.

In the mean time I've found out that The Full Metal Alchemist has several films and a different version that sticks to the Manga with a whole 61 episodes :dance:

Edited by Ben Rowlands

One of the things I don't like about anime is it con often be quite childish at times. Sometimes that's ok but sometimes it can spoil it a bit.

Anyway one anime series I watched that was quite serious was Afro Samurai.

Oh, and Neon Genesis Evangelion manages to be quite adult. It goes a bit strange and psychological in the last four episodes or so. Perhaps you'd like that, Ben.

Anyway that last one is a giant robot anime so if that's not your bag, avoid it.

I tried watching Neon Genesis Evangelion but couldn't get into. For me I couldn't get beyond the fact it was aimed at kids despite the fact if had more adult themes as well.

I share your feelings though. I mostly only watch anime that's meant for adults unless it's particularly well done and despite being open for children doesn't debase itself for them. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are good examples of this.

Check out Ninja Scroll, Cowboy Bebop, Basilisk, Berserk, etc. if you like adult anime. They are either intelligent or stylishly gory.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

Hey Ben,

I also found that Japanese animations made for a nice change from Western movies and series. I wouldn't consider myself an avid anime watcher (I actually don't watch TV much at all). But I do consider it an art form. The style of storytelling and symbolism that some series/films have are pretty compelling.

Princess Mononoke is awesome, actually most of the Studio Ghibli films are well worth watching- see if you like Grave of the Fireflies.

As for series- Samurai Champloo to me has struck out as one of the most captivating, because it's so simple- Three strangers from totally different backgrounds who go on a journey together. Based in the Edo Period of Japan's history, it has in my opinion one of the best soundtracks around: Nujabes, Fat Jon, Tsutchie. It doesn't take itself too seriously and is pretty funny in a lot of small ways. If you're interested in Hip-hop culture's original four elements (breaking, DJing, MCing, graffiti) then you may be in for a treat. ;)

I'd also recommend Death Note. Though the atmosphere in this one is comparatively darker it really draws the viewer in from early on. A lot of twists and difficult to predict what's going to happen next. Definitely need to pay close attention to the dialogue in this one. One of the more intelligently thought out series. If you're interested in morality, ethics, and the hows and whys of human psychology then this is worth checking out.

edit: both series I mentioned are aimed at more mature audiences. The English dub in these are some of the rare few that have managed to match the original intended meaning and depth of the original Japanese dialogue.

Edited by Ares