Brakes question

HippY

Hey guys, well, my rear magura died, so it is time for a brand new one. but which one? I have mounts and 2 slave cylinders. Opt 1: `05 HS33 Lever:£45 , but I need to sort out the cableing ( don have proper tools but it is can do it) opt 2: 14 HS33 full system: £70 (4finger fun version), ready bled, pop up, and go Opt 3: Race line Hs33 Lever: £80, shiny red, with aluminium everywhere Which option is the best? I am a beginner, money is not a problem, although it wont be bad if it would be cheaper. Is it worth get the raceline for me? And another fast question: I bathed my disc in oil, so I need new pads and brakes. Would A2Z wavy or SpeedRace hex are decent ones? I am looking for reliability in both one

cant say much about your disc problem,but for the hs i´d go for a 05 "allday everyday".

didnt try the 2014 yet,but i personally just dont like the whole carbotecture concept.

if you got slaves and clamps maybe a racingline lever would be something for you,if my 05 lever dies i´ll go for that or the tensile tocco,both aluminium all the way and based on the 05,but brand new

okay, so I narrowed it down for two options:

`11 and `14 hs33

`11 is proven that it is good quality, `14 has no reviews regarding quality (because it is just came out)

I would prefer `14 because it is more up to date, seems like a perfected `05 HS33, and kinda looks cool, although it is not really important.

Which one would you choose and why?

Can I trust in `14?

okay, so I narrowed it down for two options:

`11 and `14 hs33

`11 is proven that it is good quality, `14 has no reviews regarding quality (because it is just came out)

I would prefer `14 because it is more up to date, seems like a perfected `05 HS33, and kinda looks cool, although it is not really important.

Which one would you choose and why?

Can I trust in `14?

2014, the 11's are wankie

Why not just a 2014 lever as the rest of the brake is the same anyway? Reading your posts it seems like you've already decided on the 2014 so go with that.

the reason why I went with that is I needed it quite fast ( by wendesday, after post) and actually I hope that they made it good and last long, from the reviews so far they accomplished the first task

´14 a perfected ´05?seriously?

:blink:

a "bettered" 05 would be a tensile tocco or a racingline

I am a professional... computer technician, and by the look it actually seems to use the desing of `05. and hopefully they improved it. its like GTX 760 for GTX 670, or the 280x for radeon hd7950. they took the old card, imrpoved it, and sold it again.

Ah, that old chestnut. Have you tried one of the 2014 brakes out of interest? Just out of idle curiosity, have you even tried one of the 2011 HS33s?

All the 2014s I've used have felt pretty much spot-on, in much the same way all the MT disc brakes I've tried have felt pretty good. The 2011 design was totally different and I think the actual lever layout was the main issue, rather than because it's "made of plastic".

no,i havent tried a 14,but seen dozens of 11s that gave up leaking or had damaged lever pivot links on trekking bikes due to the carbotecture material or a bad joint of the lever and the pivot system.HELLO???TREKKING bikes!

they didnt change the material.okay,radial master could make a difference,but i wouldnt take the risk of getting a 90.-€ brake that leaks(like 11s did) or looses the lever pivot bolt(as some of the german forum guys experienced yet with their 2014s) if theyres an alternative made from metal,having slaves laying around.

i´m just giving advice in the limitation of my knowledge,just like you.

i just know its limited... :wink2:

edit:i predict someone to flood this thread with polemic phrases now,followed by people joining in out of their solidarity.

same old thing,but its okay.its the internet

Edited by FamilyBiker

Why not just say that then instead of trotting out the same shit about "what it's made out of"? The reason you get called out for that is because on it's own that's a completely empty statement, and is the typical "friend of a friend" forum reason for why "they're shit" - which is why someone always says something. If you actually expanded on it or tried making an actual point then this kind of thing would be much less likely to happen. It's not even like it's a "lost in translation" thing or "different sense of humour" or whatever other crutch you want to fall back on again.

Like I said, I don't think the 2011 design was the best and the way it worked contributed to it's failure, but they seem to have addressed a lot of the issues people were experiencing with them (hence the entire lever being totally different, including the pivot...). Adam mentioned that they've sold a lot of the 2014 brakes and haven't had any complaints at all, Joe's been using his for quite a while too - compared to the 2011 which seemed to exhibit either problems or just general complaints about feel they seem to have done something right with the newer ones.

What did you mean about the 'pivot bolt', by the way?

if they made one gpu from silicium,and the other from rubber,which one you´d buy?

neither of them. I would move from the tesco toy part then

anyway, i kinda see your point, although at pc-s you use metal, because they dissipate heat rather well

but actually i am open minded and I know that even if a thing is totally different from the one they used, it can be as good or better

as soon as the brake arrives, i will tell you how does it feel

What did you mean about the 'pivot bolt', by the way?

for the non-quoted text:yeah,i shouldnt´ve been coming across that way,sorry.get what you mean.

for the quote:

post-30389-0-03358000-1382387031_thumb.j

thats a pic from the german trials forum,the guy told about the lever pivot loosening all the time,so he fixed it with a ziptie.

got no other pics then that copied-and-pasted one here,but several stories of other people reached me per pm(i asked how they get on with their 14s,because i really was interested in them really being better now).

seems to be a new common thing

i have used them all

1. if moneys no worry Racing line full lever

2.buy a used 05 and a racing line body and build a complete lever from it, same as 05 but stronger as they are weak

3.buy a used 05 and fit it on

4 think about the 3 options again and pick one

same as 05 but stronger as they are weak

heard of many cracking at the sharp edge of the body near the cylinder,but fortunately my 05(its from december 09 though) is going strong since 2010.

mine isnt even modified,may have been lucky until now

Edited by FamilyBiker

heard of many cracking at the sharp edge of the body near the cylinder,but fortunately my 05(its from december 09 though) is going strong since 2010.

mine isnt even modified,may have been lucky until now

I think you have just been lucky, you think the later ones are stronger ?

think the later ones are stronger ?

have no evidence,but nope,i dont think carbotecture is stronger in the long run.

but if that was your question:i´ve never seen a cracked 05 lever live,only on the net.

have an echo tr lever on its way to me to try if thats something for me,if i dont like it i´ll go for a tensile,they look massive and have alu tpa/piston.

heard of tensiles leaking,but hopefully they got round to fix this.

did anyone ride a tr lever and can tell about the leverage?will i get close to a 4-finger 05 blade?

Edited by FamilyBiker