Cycle2work scheme, just hear me out...

isitafox

The cycle to work scheme is back open at our place till the end of November and I was looking at it to get a half decent mountain bike rather than build the cannondale I've just happened upon. I went on the cyclescheme website to see what local stores are in the scheme and one caught my eye so I'm seriously considering getting one of these for riding to work on, go gentle on me......

sport20111.jpg

They're £885 so taking tax and NI into account I'd be paying around the £600 mark, would give me the oomph to 'ride' to work (there's some big ass hills between me and work that the car eats up but my legs don't). I know of a few people local who have them and say they are superb and I'm pretty sure (I know) I could personalise it with some cheap hydro discs to replace the cables and the odd bit here and there.
Opinions??

They do a dark blue version which I'd get and obviously try to make it look as respectable as possible!

Was talking to a guy the other week who said his neighbour who's got a disease which saps his energy has got one for getting about local. Apparently a few weeks back he was out and about having a ride around Hope and Castleton (some may know it) when some roadies overtook took him and were laughing as they flew past. A bit further down the road is a hellish climb called winnats pass (1 in 3.5 gradient!), the guy on the electric bike caught up with the roadies on there and just cruised up hill doing about 15kph laughing as he effortlessly ambled past!

Dave my dads got a similar sort of thing that he wants to get rid of, it's probably not been used for a good 8 years or so and wasn't used much anyway if you are interested? Not really sure what it's worth and not seen it in a while cause it's just been sat in his wharehouse.

What the f**k are you thinking?... :P

On another note, I looked into the Cycle 2 Work scheme before getting my Ribble but because of the way they now work the system and how the final value system works now it just didn't seem worth the hassle. I ended up just getting the RIbble on 10 months interest free instead of fannying around with the C2W thing.

Edit: Found something maybe a bit more becoming: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-wheel-battery-electric-tricycle-for-cargo-/281188113549?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item41781e1c8d

You might want to add handlebar streamers to finish off the look but it's almost there.

• Like 1

wouldn't a roady with a tiny inner ring help you master the hills and make you a fitter beast? and make you feel like more of a champ....

It would but at 5.15am pitch black, steep back roads don't really inspire me much as I'm a lazy boy. If I had some battery backup I'd be quite happy riding in on nights as well which would save a lot of diesel!

Werd. How long would it take you to break even on fuel costs/purchase price? Remember the weather is about to be shocking for the next 6 months, so you'll be wanting to drive to work anyway, especially at silly'o'clock

I think the fuel bill is a small price to pay not to be seen on that thing, and retain what little dignity you may have left :P