Why can't I do rolling moves on my rear v brake.

Sam Song

I made a switch to rear v brake a few months ago from HS33 rear.

I love the v brake's lack of maintenance and the fact that I do not have to worry about the lever when I bail, but I just cannot seem to do rolling moves such as pedal gaps and the full stroke pedal kick right before a sidehop. The v brake simply slips out, forcing me to jump off the pedals.

However, I have no issues doing rear wheel sidehops and static gaps.

Do I just accept this as a part of v brake characteristics? But I still like doing rolling moves!

I do have a booster on there, although I had to grind it a bit to fit the tire, but do you think a new stiffer booster would help?

The current carbon booster I have is quite flexy I have to say, but I am just not sure how much difference a different booster would make.

My current v brake set up.

- Shimano Deore M590 V brake arms

- TNN LGV pads

- Odyssey Race Linear Slic cables

- Avid SD7 lever

- $5 carbon booster.

I have also attached pictures.

post-30122-0-42671200-1382462694_thumb.j

post-30122-0-26228800-1382462757_thumb.j

post-30122-0-53143500-1382462798_thumb.j

I spent an entire morning trying to do the rolling pedal gap to sidehop move that I could do without any issues with my previous HS33

Edited by Sam Song

a booster often reduces bite but vastly improves holding power so it's worth having one in my eyes (ideally a salsa one or carbon shimano). V brakes never really have the same bite asa magura but they have way better hold which makes them a better brake in my eyes, saying that mine never made me scared due to lack of bite so something's up somewhere.

a booster often reduces bite but vastly improves holding power so it's worth having one in my eyes (ideally a salsa one or carbon shimano). V brakes never really have the same bite asa magura but they have way better hold which makes them a better brake in my eyes, saying that mine never made me scared due to lack of bite so something's up somewhere.

Unfortunately, Salsa and Shimano boosters will not clear a Continental Der Kaiser on a 47mm rear rim, and I would hate the grind those boosters since they cost so much.

How would this booster work? Any experiences with them?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/brand-x-thermoplastic-v-brake-booster/rp-prod8215

In this case it sounds like he hasn't got enough hold?

If it has lots of bite it's unlikely to slip through forwards though.

Maguras tend to have lots of bite but not much old, so they'll not easily slip forwards but are more likely to slip backwards.

V brakes have less bite but more hold so they're more likely to slip forwards but they'll not easily slip backwards. (which in my mind is the more important way to have it)

• Like 1

Does it display the same characteristics with a good clean and a grind or have you been running it for a while and worn them in? from the angle of the photo it also looks like your pads could perhaps be more central to the rim.

Edited by jambo

If it has lots of bite it's unlikely to slip through forwards though.

Maguras tend to have lots of bite but not much old, so they'll not easily slip forwards but are more likely to slip backwards.

V brakes have less bite but more hold so they're more likely to slip forwards but they'll not easily slip backwards. (which in my mind is the more important way to have it)

Really? I'd much rather have my brake slip backwards and go to bash than loop out

that's a TGS mindset right there :P Get on some rocks or anything other than taps, gaps and sidehops and you'll appreciate how important hold is. Saying that, even with TGS most moves are landed with the back wheel trying to go backwards (sidehops to rear, taps, some gaps, hooks etc). All bite does is make a bike annoyingly noisy. I remember a friend going on about how good his brake was and it was indeed loud and had good bite, but it slipped out on me when I tried to get up a low wall and I went to bash.....not what I'd consider a good brake.

To me a V brake is the ideal trials brake, they are quiet forwards so you don't annoy yourself or people, insanely powerful for all the important backwards landing forces, light, adjustable, easy to fix, no pad wobble, lighter pull and levers are cheap to replace. Why top trials riders still use Maguras is weird to me...perhaps they think V brakes work the same as on cheap Argos bikes?

Try some of the new coust pads. Medium grind. Perfect brake. On or off.

Can be loud though but I've had problems with vee brakes breaking alot. But i have a really strong braking grip. Magura always died too. But the echo stuff has been great and the racing line stuff looks like it would be strong and good hopefully. If anything I can't believe anyone is still using vee brakes for trials. If you want to ride alot of natural or street