Should i get worried with this? Try-All Carbon Bars

Perez

Just ordered the Bonz Carbon ones, lets see.. :dance:

By the way i dont use Carthy bars, just "regular" angle like most of us, never broked a bar, and the previous Rockman Carbon ones i had were great, and after i sold them, they are still running great with the other riders.

Im afraid that this Try-All´s crack when i least expect, for me security is in first place ( as well get money to buy parts ).

Anyone with broken Bonz Carbon??

Edited by Perez

I've seen Aaron Browne, Mikey Douglas snap theirs, Mikey has also cracked a pair of trialtechs, Andy Quibèlls cracked his try alls. All of them run normal ish bar angles so it's not that. And they are all fairly smooth riders, only Mikey does quite a lot of front wheel moves

I've seen Aaron Browne, Mikey Douglas snap theirs, Mikey has also cracked a pair of trialtechs, Andy Quibèlls cracked his try alls. All of them run normal ish bar angles so it's not that. And they are all fairly smooth riders, only Mikey does quite a lot of front wheel moves

Andy's didn't crack, I'm running them now.

How many try-all's have you seen snap?

Not sure. As dan stated above.. plus adam baxter, myself, iain rennie. I know a lot more have snapped, but as mentioned they seem to be the most popular of all carbons, so it's likely that you will hear of more faults.

Just so we're clear, I approve of carbon products in a big way. Yes stuff is snapping, but so are ally parts. My rockman forks have lasted longer than my try alls and trialtechs.

Barry has had his set 19months with 0 issues. You know how much he rides and does a hell of alot front wheel moves. Natural and street.

Had my set since Radfest and they seem fine. Although mine are torqued to the correct amounts and installed with Carbin paste.

So by changing bar position changes the applied force on the bar, lol

The width is the only thing that can change the amount of force

Shouldn't you have done one of your work done equations.

Hannes Herman runs his bars in what you lot on here would class as normal and he snapped a pair pretty quickly.

I'd be 90% sure that they have been made in a different factory why a shit quality control. And have they changed the process ? Don't the leave the internal bladder in the middle now ?

That might explain why they got heavier, iv never seem the inside of the older ones so I can't tell you.

If they are made in the same factory as the rockman forks I wouldn't be surprised they all snapp.

What's happened to your spelling lately?

As for carbon bars I can't really give any helpful insight into them really, but out of all the bars out I'd personally go for Trialtechs as I know how much of a perfectionist Mr Cleaver is and I don't think they'd be on the market if they were sub-standard.

So by changing bar position changes the applied force on the bar, lol

The width is the only thing that can change the amount of force

Shouldn't you have done one of your work done equations.

Not at all, the force on the bars hasn't changed, however if there was additional material added to resist the normal operating forces in the conventional position (as riser bars were typically run when they were designed a few years ago) then that material is now in the wrong place to resist those forces.

It's like running a seat post beyond the safe limit line, move the mounting position to somewhere outside of the design intent and things will fail, especially when they are made to a tight weight budget.

It may not be the case and the lay up may be uniform throughout, but then you're not making best advantage of the material characteristics and you either have a product that is overly heavy or not as strong as it could be.

Not at all, the force on the bars hasn't changed, however if there was additional material added to resist the normal operating forces in the conventional position (as riser bars were typically run when they were designed a few years ago) then that material is now in the wrong place to resist those forces.

It's like running a seat post beyond the safe limit line, move the mounting position to somewhere outside of the design intent and things will fail, especially when they are made to a tight weight budget.

It may not be the case and the lay up may be uniform throughout, but then you're not making best advantage of the material characteristics and you either have a product that is overly heavy or not as strong as it could be.

Yes totally understand and agree with you, apart from riders like Gilles have been running their bars like that since before theses bars started production. And I would expect he would have been one of the testers too, but the only changeable factor really is that he cuts his bars down a bit so they arnt going to be under so much force!

Arnt they layed up uniformly on the diameter ?

How often would Gilles be changing bars though? Besides which he could hardly be described as a basher :)

I don't know if they are uniformly laid up, certainly my easton monkeylites aren't, they are thicker at the top of the bar (when mounted in the conventional manner). Without sectioning an unbroken pair of the bars you can't easily tell unless you possess ultrasound.

Even if the bars are laid up uniformly on the diameter then rotating them forwards is going to be significantly weaker because you have introduced a torque moment between the rise and the bar clamp in addition to the bending moment applied by impact.

My try all carbons snapped after 2 months, I didn't run them at a stupid angle neither would I say I'm rough on the bike. Such a shame because I loved the geo of them.

But you bought them new?? Damn 2 months is way too fast!

Did you get any warranty?