How to get a freewheel off a crank - the easy way

bing

Here is a short and simple guide of how to get a freewheel off a crank the easy way. Even the most stubbornnest of freewheels will come off this way. The tools required are:

A vice

A length of M12 threaded bar and 2 m12 nuts and washers - these are easily available from any nut and bolt shop and are very cheap, they may even have an off cut knocking about if you ask nicely like I did. About 10 inches is enough for this job.

Freewheel removal tool - splined or 4 prong

A levering bar. For this I've used a piece of steel tube, but a breaker bar or an old pair of handlebars will do the job.

For this job I'm using a splined tool, the one you use to get tensile freewheels and Isis bb's out

post-29242-0-47527700-1384523949_thumb.j

Remove your crank from the bike, with the pedal still attached and assemble the tool and threaded bar as shown in the picture below

post-29242-0-39466600-1384524347_thumb.j

Then take the whole assembly, and put it in the vice at such an angle which gives you enough clearance for the levering bar. Do it up TIGHT! The last thing you want it for it to slip out and cause injury

post-29242-0-43844100-1384524478_thumb.j

Then place the levering bar behind the threaded bar that sticks out, and in front of your pedal which is still attached to the crank arm. I've only cable tied it on for photo purposes

post-29242-0-78029500-1384524713_thumb.j

Then apply some newtons to the right hand side of the levering bar, using your left hand as a steady on the small piece of bar poking out. This will give you enough leverage to get it off. This method has never failed me yet

I will post up the vice free way of removing a freewheel when our lass gets out of the bath and can take photos

Dan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The none vice way is just as easy. I wedge the rig as shown above under a car tyre or under the corner of my shed, and use a 24mm deep reach socket and a 4ft breaker bar on the tool. Comes off just as easy