Fancying a full Susser..

Tom Booth

Drum roll please...

image_zps7a0458ea.jpg

And yes, that's not an alpine :P.

After the 26-27.5 chat, the chat of fox 34's and a few sizing issues with the alpine I hired both bikes out for the day at Rutland cycles. I loved the alpine, seemed very docile, rolled over anything and sucked it up in its stride. The five thou was abit more feisty, kept rolling and felt more like the lapierres I tried. I instantly fell in love with it and ordered one straight after I got home.

Plus, there is nowhere in the uk I think you could use the alpine to its full, whereas the fives probably abit more UK friendly.

Spec is -

Five in 21"

Fox 32 floats, 150mm ctd

Raceface Chester bar, stem, post and crankset

Hope pro2 evos on mavic 650b 319s

Slx brake set (these are awesome, really can't rate them enough)

Slx triggers, front mech, xt clutch rear

I know tats factory spec, but it's bloody lovely. I have no regrets at all about buying Orange, I might have hit more for less money elsewhere but I feel a certain pride in a British build.

post-5803-0-73208000-1392318825_thumb.jp

post-5803-0-51537900-1392319743_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Just for you Paul, forum uploaded rotated it for some reason?

A dropper post will come in good time, to be honest I ran out of money so it'll be a future addition.

I was not expecting that! To be honest when I saw the pic I thought "they've sent him a Five". With your height the bigger wheels are probably a good thing.

One thing i'd contest.....there sure is some places in the UK you could use the Alpine :)

I hope you have an awesome time on it, for a 140 bike the Five is fairly bottomless, also the 32 is a much better fork than the 34on the Alpine so that's a plus!

Yeah your probably right, there is places you could use it, but I doubt I'd be able to ride it to the level it'd deserve.

So pleased with it, been a 20 mile hack around the woods near me and it's very very fun. 650b makes a hell of a lot of sense after riding it.

Cheers for the help all, it's been very very much appreciated. I must give a shout out to Rob Nichol at stif too, if anyone's fancying a full build I wouldn't hesitate in getting in contact with those guys.

First upgrade arrived this morning, blackspire twinty chain guide, dropping the 42t for a bash and a guide. Never ever use a 42t so its not a problem. IXS hack knee pads turned up too, also booked a few days off work next week to try some new spots which I'm pretty stoked about.

First upgrade arrived this morning, blackspire twinty chain guide, dropping the 42t for a bash and a guide. Never ever use a 42t so its not a problem. IXS hack knee pads turned up too, also booked a few days off work next week to try some new spots which I'm pretty stoked about.

Good choice man. I use the Der Guide for my single ring and it's faultless. I also use iXS pad (the Flows) and they're very good.

Yeah I've only read good things about the blackspire guides so thought I'd bite the bullet. I use a superstar plasma on the 456 and it's brillian but they don't do a twin ring, Plus the blackspire is a jockeywheel-less setup so should be fairly silent.

The ixs pads seemed brilliant value compared to the 661 kit.

Just smashed pines on the five, it's unbelievable how awesome it rides. Didn't notice masses of pedal bob which was nice. The things I have to really work the onone over the five just floats over! Pleased I went 650b. Really enjoying the miles on it.

The ixs pads are awesome too, soo comfy, they hardly moved too which was brilliant.

• Like 1

I went on a demo day in Scotland once, it was at Laggen which is quite a rocky trail centre, I rode some Santacruzes, Coves, Lappierrs, an Orange 5 and an Orange Blood. I wasn't impressed with any really, all seemed to be really inefficient over the rocks with noticeable decrease in momentum.......all except for the Five. That seemed to speed me up over the bumps, I felt like the wheel was actually moving out of the way and allowing me to pump the downsides. I liked it so much I bought one. The only downside I found was the flexy back end. On one ride I stopped halfway down a descent as I thought I'd snapped the rear axle as the bike felt like it was crabbing loads, everything was fine when I checked. I'd definitely consider getting the stiffest rims possible with it.

I've not ridden any full sus bikes for a couple of years now so there may be some amazing bikes out there now, but I'm glad you got an Orange (I like them as a company) and I hope you get on well with it, they are a blast!

• Like 2

Cheers Ali, the funny thing is the reactions it got around the car park and stuff, some guys where practically condemning it yet one guy was practically tossing it off. I know I could've got abit more for my money if I'd have looked at the canyons, lapierres, giants and treks but there's something about an Orange that just appeals. Knowing that some tubby guy in a boiler suit stitched the whole bike together whilst having a cup of tea is cool as f**k in my books.

It might be fat, might be outdated, shit pivot design and a right old dinosaur but it's mine and I f**king love it.

Was fancying Cannock today but the trails are shut due to wind damage :(