BMX

Scott Gibbs

Total bullshit.

Shit company, avoid. WTP offer good value frames from a good quality factory. My Ovoid was my second favourite frame.

Doesn't matter what wheelsize you go for, it's all about frame length. Bigger wheels are more stable, but a short frame with big wheels will still be flicky as hell.

2.2kg is lighter than all the frames i have now. (the one i ride and the ones sat around)

A 2.2kg frame, no pegs, and Grifters will pretty damn light. If it's not light enough, then you must be too used to trials bikes.

• Like 1

Posted this in the happy thread but it's probably best off here.

Been searching high and low for a jump bike within budget that's not shit and finally found one I think. :)

p4pb10360003.jpg

Spec as follows:

White Ram 4130 Brett signature frame

Marzocchi team forks 100mm in purple very rare and extremely versatile ( BUYER SHOULD KNOW- end cap for axle is missing but is fine to ride with pinch bolts tightened.)

Alloy standard bars

shimano deore hydraulic rear brake 160mm rotor

halo front wheel on halo hub

Stem was an ns but has been sprayed black (not a very good job, wasnt me)

we the people cranks

colony seat and pivtoal post

Dmr rear wheel

maxxis tyres 2.35 extremely good grip

£220 posted

Opinions? I'm pretty sure it's a good deal but I may be wrong.

• 1 year later...

My bmx/mtb mate runs some apparently high end oddessy caliper, an oddessy lever with a 'london mod' setup (??? that mean owt to you? It has twin cables and no straddle) a sealed gyro and clear pads on a chrome rim.

(It should be said that I barely give a shit about BMX so I know nothing about model names etc, his bike is nice and I use it for some rail peg bashing and playing chicken with c**t scooters cluttering up a skatepark i've paid hard earned to ride)

The upshot is it's the only bmx brake I've ever ridden that works, all others I've ridden were heavy at the lever, had no power (like the cable was rusty) and are shit. It works when he rides it & my mate isn't called 'tank' because he's built like a supermodel :giggle: Funnily enough he had/has a lacey too - a purple one.

Edited by CC12345678910

I'm guessing it was an odyssey evo 2 caliper?

I forget to be honest. It's black, says odyssey on it and it works to a averagely good trials standard with even that fat bugger doing a tap, I can't be any more help than that sorry. If it was trials or MTB I'd be able to help, but honestly I have about as much interest in bmx as I do scooter parts...

EDIT: just google imaged it and that was the one yeah. Like with all cable brakes it working well comes from the other hardware in the chain; The lever, that cable mod thing, the quality of the gear cables used, the pads, and the manner of care and attention with which I put it together for/with him. It's all in the prep as always.

Edited by CC12345678910

If it's on a chrome rim that's going to be the biggest difference. When I ran brakes on my BMX I'd only use chrome rims because the braking they have is amazing, it's pretty much like running permanent tar. It's just a pity that they don't really do chrome plating in the same way now due to the environmental issues associated with it so it tends to wear off a lot faster now when you use brakes than it used to. My old Araya rims which were 'properly' chrome plated were faultless for the couple of years I had them, but the Odyssey Hazard Lite rim I used had chrome that bubbled and peeled off after a relatively short period of time, and had a noticeable drop in brake performance because of that.

this one is modern enough that it peeled so we/I sanded what was left off with a mouse sander that gave it a 'fake grind' for a while, but that'll be long gone by now. They're only generic clear pads anyway, surely in this case any deficiency in a rim could be made up with better pads like HS yellows etc.? Rock blues make for an excellent streetable magura on me mates hex, for example, no tar - lots of slip & you add the amount of tar in relation to the amount of slip wanted. It's uncanny how, er, 'linear' it is, I've never ridden a brake like it. Put it in full trials mode and it's spot on, I should add.

BTW, I have a feeling it might be that odyssey hazard lite rim you mentioned that he's running, it rings a bell.

Edited by CC12345678910

The old peregrine super pro chrome rims rocked, then araya brought out the super7x which was a good cheaper alternative. Got chrome primo hula hoops on my standard with a fly bikes brake and its phenomenal :)