My quite unattractive build

marshole82

put it into a fork, and personally I use a magura pad, but you can use anything, and using something as a reference point true the wheel. not the best solution, but it works!

Elastic band a pencil to the fork leg and use that.

Used the missus GT! Only problem was rim width so found what I though was the middle, I.e. both brake arms at the same angle and went from there.

Its about a mm out to the non disc side and it eggs in one place.

I'm happy for now and will true it once I have forks and a brake to set up.

Really chuffed with my first wheel build.

I saw flipp use a cable tie of either side of the wheel attached to the fork then cut off. Seemed to work really well.

that, sir, is not a bad idea. stored for future ref :)

on the lookout for a matching rear hub now, the list of bits i need is really long though!

Headset, bottom bracket and cranks donated to me by a good friend with a huge box of unused bike parts! Legend.

The list is slowly coming down!

Vee caliper

Pads

Cables

Forks

Tyres

Pedals

Single Speed Kit

Chain

Grips

Top cap

Caliper bolts

Crank bolts

Headset bearings

Seatpost

Chainring

Edited by marshole82
  • Like 1

yeah the sprocket is fine but i was under the misaprehension that a single speed bmx chain would be ok. after all, how much difference can there really be between 1/8" and 3/32"? apparently enough haha

knew KMC may be on it's way if i can first check about chain length - i dont want to have to spend more on a tensioner and a mech dropout when this is supposed to be on the cheap.

alot of people are going to tell me that this was stupid, but for £10 posted i've got some Scott v-mount forks. yes they are standard MTB so won't be up for big drops etc, but for a tenner, and the fact that i wont need to source a disc brake i'd be silly not to as a short term thing.

i've said it before, but i can't even trackstand at the minute, so the liklihood of me doing any drops ore hopping across railings is very slim. if i get decent then i can swap my forks out for something better and stronger.

it's coming together slowly, hopefully will get a ride this summer!