Homebuilt frame - Reynolds tubing

mike425

Hi all, so with it being a Friday I am pretty bored out of my mind in the office so thought I would share a little project I am working on.

I have wanted to build my own trials frame for years, I owned a leeson around 14 years ago! I have always been more of a fan of steel frames but not so keen on the modern look of trials frames.

So I decided to build my own frame based around the geo of an Echo 26" frame. It will be a traditional looking frame with hopefully a custom carbon seat. So far I have almost finished my jig, just need to machine down some cones on the lathe for my head tube which I will be doing on Saturday.

This is not my first frame build, but will be the first trials bike. It will be fillet brazed as this is what I know and I enjoy doing it. I have purchased a full Reynolds 631 tubeset, the headset will be integrated. Tubing wise I probably over specced it so this will not be ultra light build but should last a long time. I am planning on getting the dropouts and other plate bits laser cut and machined.

Time wise, don't hold your breath lol. This is purely a hobby thing for me so fitting it in can be tricky, it could take 4 weeks or 4 months!

Jig, almost done:-

p4pb10687085.jpg

I built a balance bike for my neice:-

p4pb10687088.jpg

Practice fillets from a while back:-

p4pb10687084.jpg

Thought this might be of interest to some people!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 11

it is nice .. especially for someone like me . i love 24 street-trials bikes . but they are too expensive here in Iran ... so the only way remains is to build a frame.

i want to know how strong this home made frames are ??

and what equipments i need in order to build one ?

OP- Good luck with your frame. Should be fun when it's done.

it is nice .. especially for someone like me . i love 24 street-trials bikes . but they are too expensive here in Iran ... so the only way remains is to build a frame.

i want to know how strong this home made frames are ??

and what equipments i need in order to build one ?

I think this is just a hobby for him. Speak/ search Marino for cheap/ affordable customs.

Thanks for all the comments guys. With regards to strength of brazing - I have tested loads of joints with a 6 ft bar and I always snap the tube, not the join. TIG is technically stronger but with bike frames the tube is the weaker point and many people argue that the heat affected zone from TIG is more detrimental on a bike frame. Either way, I enjoy doing brazing and have the equipment! Brian curtis taught me to braze and he said he has never had a joint fail but plenty of tubes have.

The cost of the reynolds tubing would probably surprise a lot of people when compared with how much marino charges for a full frame. I have around £150 in tubing alone for this frame, but it is triple butted

• Like 1

I'm going to start mitring tubes this week hopefully. The jig is pretty much done, just need to machine a couple more parts on the lathe.

I'm using oxy/acet with a gas fluxer. I still use some flux paste on the inside of the tube to pull the braze through though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...