New 24" - Ozonys Iron

janjan

People are getting at the point around 4 months after the arcade has come out, ozonys have released a steel street trials frame with what looks like a very steep headtube and very bmx influenced design.

It took inspired ages to come up with this idea and design and yada yada yada I can't be bothered

Ok, I take your point - yes, a 74.5HA is unique. And being a test model, it's highly likely that the Ozonys was drawn up after the release of the Arcade. So that's one thing, a fairly major one but just one.

The BB rise looks completely different so at the end of the day, these two bikes will ride differently. And since the bike is the sum of it's geometry, not each measurement separately, I stand by my initial statement. Perhaps Ozonys's lower BB rise is an improvement over the Arcade? I'm sure there are riders out there who will find the Ozonys better in some respects, and the Arcade in others. On that basis, Ozonys have improved on the design from the point of view of those riders, who prefer a more streety bike. But because Inspired is British, this is a British forum and Ozonys is French, some people will look far too deep into this matter.

There's one more way of looking at this. There's always going to be a company which does something first and therefore there's always going to be a company which does it second. This is the one which will get a bashing - however they came up with the idea, they are second and therefore basing their findings on something that already exists. Note that this has happened to absolutely every single measurement of a bike. There was a first 55mm BB rise frame, a first 1085mm wheelbase frame, a first 372mm CS stock frame.

Agreed that the saddle looks terrible although I bet there’s room to tilt it a little more without it hitting the tyre so it looked more acceptable. Some people can get carried away with saddle angle. Ive seen a few that looked more like a beckoning erection waiting to be mounted. Thats the way I see it anyway :wink:

I don’t know what the geo is but it looks more like my Marino Archive geo than Inspireds Arcade geo. For me the Arcade has a little too much reach (im a short ars) so this Ozonys I-Ron* (*I can’t say it any other way) would be better for the shorter street rider?

I don’t think the BB looks too low. The reason the earlier 24" street bikes had +35bb was to bring the bb up to the same height as a 26" with around +10, which was considered "streety" for a 26". It was soon realised this didn’t have to be the case and the BB heights were dropped to give a more "standing in the bike" feeling rather than a "standing over the bike" feeling.

Im loving the idea of those forks. Sure, it would suck if that thread got damaged but I bet it feels solid!

These 24" topics keep me amused for hours!! Going back to who started what debate, didn't Mr Ashton release the first 24" with the ET back in '03?

It's not a case of that though, and everyone complaining about all new 24's being labelled as rip-off's of Inspireds are missing the point.

Of course Inspired didn't invent the 24, and there have been steel alternatives (albeit in homemade form) from Leeson and Marino, but big trials companies didn't copy those did they? When your only option to get a steel street bike was to go to Peru and get something close-to-custom geo then companies such as Oznoys weren't in the least bit interested. Then Inspired decide to make a go of this whole 24" thing and seem to be doing fairly well at it then all of a sudden it's 24" time for everyone. My point is when it was seen as commercially viable (which has only come about due to Inspired being fastidious in their design and approach) then it was an area of interest for other companies. It all just seems a bit lazy and very clearly the same amount of attention and detail hasn't been put in so it does very much come across as a copy (in essence).

There's also the fact that it looks absolutely shite. The gussets are abysmal and not in keeping with a street/BMX aesthetic, the seat tube thing has already been covered (I mean look at it!) and it;s once again just in poor taste. They always seem to just miss the point and end up making a something compromised that is just wide of the mark.

I agree it's hideous! As the saying goes imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Inspired have done their home work and it shows. It was inevitable others would copy inspired's frames. I for one can't afford an inspired so my option is Marino. I can see the other brands try and fail to copy the element/fourplay/arcade/Skye.

In any business, if a company makes a product and the market takes off, which it has, there will be companies that come and release similar products to get some of the market share. That's life.

No ones disputing that, but it's not exactly a sound business model or any basis for continued future success.

I mean plain and simply how many Inspireds do you see out and about? How many King of Dunce's or whatever they're called do you see?

No ones disputing that, but it's not exactly a sound business model or any basis for continued future success.

I mean plain and simply how many Inspireds do you see out and about? How many King of Dunce's or whatever they're called do you see?

I know loads of people with inspireds, however I only know of two people with a king of dunce

I completely agree, thousands of business are formed on this premise though.

Think how many companies have launched tablets since the iPad. Most aren't as good, yet SOME people still buy them. Yes there are more Inspireds because they have the major share of the market. Basic.

This is more of a nowadays street steel bike than a street trials bike.

Not particularly - most street frames have slacker angles (e.g. NS Bikes Capital frame having a 70° head angle) which also mean that you get a super short reach, different frame heights/proportions, different dropout spacing and slotting, different BB types and different head tubes. Most of them would probably feel shit with a rigid fork too.

This is a pretty natural evolution for geo for street trials frames now. For front wheel moves steeper head angles are way better, for manuals and bunnyhops slightly shorter rear ends are better - something which also makes them nicer for backhop stuff too. Not having a really high BB like older frames had gives you a nicer stance on the bike, and not going super low like most street MTB frames means that they feel way more flicky/nimble and also gives you a nicer feel for trialsy moves.

The finish of this bike is interesting, but it seems like a bit more attention to detail would've improved the whole bike quite a lot. Same seat tube height/angle/position that Ozonys and TMS seem to go for, budget looking gusset (on a 'high end' bike, doing that 'drill out some holes' thing doesn't really cut it), fairly industrial looking front axle/dropout setup when compared to how other companies do it, weirdly positioned/shaped fork disc mount, etc. It just seems kind of rushed considering how reasonably well thought out their normal trials parts are.

• Like 2

I completely agree, thousands of business are formed on this premise though.

Think how many companies have launched tablets since the iPad. Most aren't as good, yet SOME people still buy them. Yes there are more Inspireds because they have the major share of the market. Basic.

I was going to use that analogy… my point is they have the market share for a reason.

Guess it was only a matter of time before this Oil Slick coating would make it's way onto a trials bike.

Would love to see an Inspired Arcade set-up like this

8578_172952482859341_22233807_n.jpg

what is this technique, who can make it and for how much ?:D