2014 HS33's

mr ailsbury

Hey,

I haven't bought any new trials gear for a fair few years now and i'm looking to maybe buy some of the 2014 HS33's. Just wondering what people think of them so far?
Can they take a water bleed, are they as strong as the older 2005 version which I have now, is the TPA easy to change (I'm guessing they're still crap and break all the time) They look like they might be really flexy, anyone snapped/cracked a pair yet?

Cheers for any help.

The only problem with 2014's is that i weigh nothing and im not exactly the type of rider who goes big, but that was back then before mine snapped. i had one in September last year and it lasted me until the end or January... but the blade is thin as anything to be honest. there has been many issues with them snapping and i was surprised mine went so quickly. however the performance with a grind is unbelievable! they feel a lot more powerful than the 2011s but ive never really used a 2005

this is what i mean by thin post-36107-0-66303600-1396862125_thumb.j

post-36107-0-91216800-1396862140_thumb.j

camera isnt amazing, its my phone but oh well

Edited by JJ Leigh

I had it, the only reason I changed it because I like my bike as my girls, DD, but with a fresh grind, with some badly angled pads the braking power was amazing!

I had the 4 finger lever version, it had no problem and I heard nothing about the current owner as well

• Like 3

A few people have snapped them

I don't really see why people are buying them, they feel like disk brakes at the lever which is a bit weird.

Full metal levers (IN MY OPINION) are superior.

But different strokes for different folks

the actual blade is aluminium and the body is this weird plastic thing but i think its called carbotecture? not had any problem with anything else on the brake, just the blade snapped :(

A few people have snapped them

I don't really see why people are buying them, they feel like disk brakes at the lever which is a bit weird.

Full metal levers (IN MY OPINION) are superior.

But different strokes for different folks

i didnt get it for that reason, i was gonna get the 2011 trial edition, but the next day when i was going to order it, it had gone and the new one was there so got that instead

there has been many issues with them snapping
no, there hasnt. there's been a COUPLE, and their always ones that look like they have been crashed in to the floor. maybe they should come with a warranty slip stating "these brakes are designed to stop you from moving via friction between the pads and wheel, not the lever blade and floor." i guess that would stop this misunderstanding in the future. To keep on topic: the brakes are good. almost everyone that has them gets on well with them but a few people treat them badly and are surprised when they break as a result. they are totally fine if you don't try and dig your own grave with them.

no, there hasnt. there's been a COUPLE, and their always ones that look like they have been crashed in to the floor..

well i think there's been quite a FEW and there not ALWAYS ones that have been crashed onto the floor

Edited by JJ Leigh

48242025.jpg

I reckon the biggest issue for us that it is not designed for trials use

it should be perfect for normal use, where you want more power than a V but dont have disc hubs, like a normal road bike.

At least there is a new Hope, that should come soonish

• Like 1

it just feels more precise,whereas a v always felt slacker (makes sense) for me.just need that punching feeling.think thats the reason for most maggie users (when maggies where trials brakes)

to each their own i think

but on topic,snapping lever blades are seriously bad stuff if you ask me,all the older maggies werent designed for trials either and held up to it.

maybe buy some of the 2014 HS33's.

Wait a few months, if you don't need them.

The Clean brake should be out soon, according to Abel Mustieles.

Then there is the rumoured Hope prototype, and the Racing Line, of

which we will soon learn more about its ability to work with water

in the long run.

Whoa whoa whoa.......might want to reconsider that statement,

Okay I rephrase that

I have not got a clue, why anyone would use hydro rim brake, apart from trials riders, whereas a V can provide enough power for normal road use, or if you need more, there is the disc brake, that can provide greater power, good braking surface, no damage or use of the rim, so I guessed, it might be a little bit more power than on a V... or just for a pub story that "yeah, I have a hydro on a roadie"

Exac

Okay I rephrase that

I have not got a clue, why anyone would use hydro rim brake, apart from trials riders, whereas a V can provide enough power for normal road use, or if you need more, there is the disc brake, that can provide greater power, good braking surface, no damage or use of the rim, so I guessed, it might be a little bit more power than on a V... or just for a pub story that "yeah, I have a hydro on a roadie"

Exactly. If you brake a lot down from higher speeds in the wet or mud, discs. If not, V-brakes. I had Deore Vs with XT levers and cables on my commuter,

which lasted from 06 to 13 without touching it, and then only needed a pair of new pads. I can't see getting that from a hydraulic brake.

Edited by stirlingpowers
  • Like 1