Any electricians on here?

shercofray

Hi guys, not sure if there is but if there's any electricians on here, help would be appreciated!

I've just come to change a couple of light switches and there are only red wires going into the switch. Also an earth but that's just going to the box.

One is going to a hole marked 'top' and the other is 'com' and the other is going to an unlabelled hole.

I changed a couple of the single ones and the top relates to L1 on my new switch. Am I right in thinking the blank goes to L2?

Also on one of the switches there is a wire going from com to the other com, why is this? As it won't reach on my new switch as it's too short. Is this needed?

Thanks very much. :)

A switch is basically braking the circuit, I try to draw it for you to understand _____ here is you red, power(!) cable. a switch basically____/______ does that, lift a metal thing up, so there will be no connection so no electricity can travel, light turns off

Com is usually the output, but as you see in this case it does not really matter which way you wire it up.

Com-Com: what is cinnected to the second switch? I reckon it should turn on the same light as an other switch does

I am learning to be an electro techician: I do low voltage small stuff, so wait someone elses answer as I might said it wrong:)

Don't wire it backwards hahaa, hippy I love you!

L1 live in

L2 live out(common)

Is the switch with the jumper a double?

http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/

Yeah it is a double. Is it needed?

So I be right in saying that as the single ones I've changed went from the 'top' hole into L1 so the ones on the double switches that aren't labeled go into L2?

Re read ... how many terminals how many wires do you have on the double switches? For that matter even the singles?

Singles you can't go wrong, if there's two wires together with no terminal leave those as is. Switch the two reds, if you've done it the wrong way the switch will bo opposite. Swap if necessary :)

On the doubles..

2 wire circuit.

Common's live and l1 & l2 are switched

3 wire circuit.

Common and l1 are permanent live, l2 is switched.

Edited by *gentlydoesit

I'm a sparky so should be able to help. Its hard to see which terminals the cables go into from the photo but it looks like you have a 2 way switch on the left hand side, and a one way on the right hand side (of the photo on the left)

A two way switch in this case has a feed and 2 strappers, The feed is in the common term and the 2 strappers are in l1 and l2 at the same side.
To swap the switch isolate it properly then disconnect the common first, move the common over to each of the commons on the new switch and put a link between the 2 commons as is done on the old switch. then move the 2 cables on the right side into l1 and l2 on one side of the new switch. finally move the move the last switch wire into the terminal l1 on the other switch.

for the photo on the right, be very careful because it looks like 2 2 way switches which could be on seperate circuits so make sure it is isolated properly, (it may be easier to just open the main switch on the whole house.)

This switch has switch wires in the common terminals so don't put a link between them. Again move the commons first then move the strappers over one side at a time.

Please be careful.

Right i've marked it up as it should be on your new switches

post-34962-0-80703000-1397846112_thumb.j

post-34962-0-66710200-1397846120_thumb.j

Edited by GavLawson

One live in feeding two switches? Are both the pictures on the same circuit

In this case the feed is connected to one 2 way switch it then feeds a 1 way switch then goes to next switch point.

The switch on the right has no feed at it both are presumably the switch wire end of 2 2way switches so each switch wire (com- the wire going to the light) could be fed from either of its strappers depending on the position of the switch or the other switch or an intermediate switch if there is one.

nowadays most people would have neutrals at both switches and i don't know about other sparkies but I rarely wire a 2 way switch like that I usually use a three core with the feed and switch wire at the same end.

• 2 years later...

Caution : When you are ever working with electricity you need to make sure that you turn off the power before work is started. You want to know that it is completely off and dead. That means that you need to make sure that you are 100% sure that the power is turned off and that will let you know that you are ready to start

2 Way Switch Wiring Diagram with Power Feed from the Switch light :

for more in formation visite http://www.wiringdiagram21.com/

2 way light switch wiring diagram with power feed via switch.jpg