Geometry: Old or New?

p_ruskin

Geometry: Old or New?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of geometry do you guys prefer?

• New Style: 60+ BB Height
    • Older Style: 0-50 BB Height

I know that bb height isn't everything when it comes to geometry, but i at least think we should still have the option to buy low or high bb!

We still get to choose whether we want a short or long bike (sort of), so why can we no longer buy lower bb bikes?

I am not a huge fan of the new style geometry's with sky high bottom brackets, especially on stocks, the bikes themselves don't seem to look as nice, and even worse, the style of people riding them has gone downhill in my eyes (many top comp riders), of course there are the select few that could look stylish on anything; Fontenoy springs to mind, but mostly its few and far between as appose to what it used to be a few years back!

Now the best trials videos to watch in terms of style are the likes of Ali C on an 'old school' style geometry bike with all the modern tweaks (not that he wasn't awesome back int' day too)

Just wanted to find out some other takes on the subject!

Paul x

• Like 1

Because 2 bike frames is impractical for manufacturers, instead you can purchase another bike which is focused on stylish riding instead of trials-competition like the Koxx Sky which is focused on making it easier for the riders to compete instead of looking good.

I think they do, you have to get the stem length and rake right though. But looks wise yeah, it's not pretty. A lad we ride with has a 2013 gu, with a 165x35 mod stem on and try all low rise bars. It rides amazing, proper sit up and beg, instead of being hunched over, but it ain't the prettiest thing in the world

When people say "older stock geo", what does that even mean?

Well obviously the chain stays, wheelbase, reach ect. vary from frame to frame, but in general, pre 2009/10 frames had no higher bb than 50mm

Whereas now, its very difficult to find any frames with less than 60mm bb, the majority are 65-80mm or so

Edited by onza limey20

I think they do, you have to get the stem length and rake right though.

Even if you get the right bar and stem setup to even out the bar/pedal heights, your centre of gravity is still higher though so they're still less stable. They will feel a bit less handstand-y compared to high BB bikes with rolled bars and stuff, but it's still not going to feel quite the same on 2 wheels.

Having ridden some higher BB setups I can get why people do it 'cos they do feel pretty capable for most stuff, but they don't really feel that fun to ride. When I rode Blackpool last with the dudes from TartyBikes, the bikes that were nearer 50mm felt like you could kind of do whatever on them, but Slinger's Crewkerz felt like it didn't really want to do anything unless you were on back wheel. If you're well into the whole UCI comp style thing then I can see why that'd be great for you though.

+60 max for me. I ride a +55 at the moment which is good for most of the stuff I ride (natural) but suffers on pedally stuff compared to my old +30 bikes. I guess most people don't actually pedal at all these days.

I ride a 35bb frame now and after a few rides I'm really really starting to love it.

When I first rode it, I felt like I was riding a normal bike a bit more.

The downside to lower bb is that it's a little bit harder to get onto the back wheel, and to get weight over the front. I feel like gaps are much easier to do without feeling like you're going to loop out, especially rolling ones. It's also fun to do the occasional bunny hop although it is a little hard having my bars slightly rolled forward, the bars are still way behind the up sweep of the stem line like most people use as a "guide" for bars being forward.

I don't get as tired riding from spot to spot because I don't feel like I'm doing a yoga pyramid all the type (if you know what I mean) which is nice, plus the fact my bike doesn't look as silly in general, and I actually feel prouder when I make stuff for some reason, especially with up to fronts because I don't feel like I'm cheating with a long stem high bb because all you have to do on them is literally just squeeze front brake and it doesn't seem to matter where your weight is you'll still fly up because of how far forward your weight already is due to having a f**king MOD stem on a STOCK.

I still find it crazy how these stems are on stock, and how normal it's become.

What next, people wearing lycra on street rides?

Oh wait....

i didn't realise sub 50 was a low bb, high BB mods are the only way to go, i havent riden a low bb mod and liked it. ever. high bb stocks always seemed better as well. i like high bb cause it means the frames have tiny standovers and look super svelt and minimalist, which has always been part of trials in my eyes... low bb isn't going to ever sell as well when a high bb just makes everything so much easier...

low bb isn't going to ever sell as well when a high bb just makes everything so much easier...

It doesn't though... Generally worse for all 2 wheel activities including rolling stuff, taps etc.

(for stocks, no idea about kids bikes)

It doesn't though... Generally worse for all 2 wheel activities including rolling stuff, taps etc.

(for stocks, no idea about kids bikes)

i spent a decent amount of time on low BB stocks, i had a levelboss, simtra, 07 pitbull, and manged to hoon all over what i used to do on them with a gu. in fact i found myself quite limited on the low frames to what i could do. maybe i'd benefit from trying a lower frame in the future. tgs barges *** for now though.

I'm old, and think all this new modern high BB stuff feels awful!

Somewhere a few years back they had it about right. My XTP V-racing was+45 ish and that felt nice. high enough to get the gains of high BB, but low enough to not feel weird.

Current frame is a Yabba Stinger, similar geo again, 1085 ish and +45 ish. feels bang on to me. I love the way it rides, but when others try it these days they all say it feels awful! haha

Current frame is a Yabba Stinger, similar geo again, 1085 ish and +45 ish. feels bang on to me. I love the way it rides, but when others try it these days they all say it feels awful! haha

That could also be the 390mm chainstays talking though? :P

• Like 1

I think distinguishing the results between mod and stock would have been wise.

Modern geometry is what's wrong with trials currently. This sport just isn't appealing the way people use high bb bikes. Before these came along, trials riding was pretty much what Rowan did - now it's what Damon does. Hence this whole street trials revolution - trials has become such a specialized sport that there is no room for the oldschool stuff in it anymore. Street-trials goes back to the roots of trials, hence it's popularity. I'm not saying this is a bad thing - on the contrary, now you have a choice of what style you want to take up. 10-15 years ago, you didn't because there were no trials bikes around which offered such ease of riding big obstacles.