Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brettoll

How many people still keep / ride retro trials parts? Builds?

37 posts in this topic

So after riding trials now on and off the best part of 14 years I have been accidentally collecting parts off many of my rigs.

Was going through the shed and found a host of old stuff like flat bars / short cage road mechs / massive 22th bashrings for middleburns / gripshifts / all sorts of stems and it got me thinking about building a retro rig up again.

How many of you have done the same and just thought, sod it I am going to re-build a bit of history for some fun!!

Edited by Brettoll

The only retro thing I've got currently is Echo Supa Trial tyres with white strips. Sometimes put them on full builds though admittedly I haven't done this for about 2 years now :P

432349_392312344131716_1956478510_n.jpg

7 people like this

All the f**king time. Its a problem ive got...

5 people like this

I am building up a mad 2 for street use! With onza cranks with a 22 tooth chain ring

1 person likes this

Ross I can tell from the pic you sent me of the cellar!! Loving the old mark 1 Ashton frames :)

Yep last year built a giant team trials and a Planet X zebdi.

Greetings I still to this day can't believe you've got a set of virtually

Brand new echo supa trial tyres....

I’ve still got my muddy fox klimax full build working i go out on it now and again
mine looks like this but with a couple of different parts http://www.davedennis.freeservers.com/page5n.htm

Edited by Earl
1 person likes this

Im currently rebuilding my ddg shooter ive had for atleast 14 years

1 person likes this

lol this thread makes me laugh , this is all i do , i now have 3 pashleys , a leeson, 2 megamos, a heavytools, an about 10 planet x,s

1 person likes this

lol this thread makes me laugh , this is all i do , i now have 3 pashleys , a leeson, 2 megamos, a heavytools, an about 10 planet x,s

But no Echo HiFi's??

ended up selling it :( blew my car up at the time

Rubbish.. I have got one knocking about in the loft I am thinking of building up again!! Lovely high bb frame back in the day

1 person likes this

Osom hub.

675ace03247fb0a32e2e511b1d930eb4.jpg

1 person likes this

theres a cheap one going around ebay at the minute i keep getting tempted by

Ha ha, I saw that.. there's one which is about £30 in there!

Love the brake booster on the Hi-Fi

yeah your right man great riding frame , an yeah the one for £30 , money tight at the moment though as itl cost me a fortune to build

here is My Muddyfox 16 years old now she is

Muddy Fox 1.jpg

1 person likes this

The footjam plate on my brakeless inspired in made from a vee booster I ran on my old univega MTB I started trials on.

Before I got my Hope rear hub last year, i I was running the same Chris King I got in 2002.

When I moved to America I brought my Shimano carbon vee booster, just in case...

3 people like this

I tried to put grip shift, 5 speeds and a road mech from back in the day (tightened with a cut spoke) on my hex... But I couldn't fit the cut down grip shift with my lock on grips on the arcade bars :(

Wheels are 16 years old- hubs are both King, dx32 in the back and tioga dh in the front... 10 year old echo fork as well.. For now..

Edited by AndyT
1 person likes this

Just to be sure, before what year is it considered "retro"?

I rebuilt my 07 Echo Control short, which is my first trials frame. I moved back to a +15 bb bike out of nostalgia! 

Other than that, I am riding on a 7 year old king hub that I got at the start of my trials riding. It's been very reliable. 

Edited by Sam Song
1 person likes this

Well that is still retro, a whole 9 years old!! Makes my late 90's / early 2000 set ups seem positively ancient now!

A few years back I tracked down my first three trials bikes, not just the same model, but the exact ones I owned.  A 1999 X-Alp, a brisa B26, and a PX Zebdi I had ridden for about 7 years.  It was kinda fun.  Also bought a Manifesto that Ryan Leech had owned, even had some custom parts for him on it.  While I enjoyed looking at them and the occasional ride, I was a bit too pragmatic to hold onto them.

1 person likes this

I sold one of my frames but have most of the rest of my stuff. A lot of the components are no good, and I've already binned some. Like crates of ruined bashguards, destroyed cassettes, broken Magura bits, old PowerPro cranksets with the tapers gone, all completely obsolete now. I do have a brand new set of the flexy USE forks, a new Fatty R (in the less-common red) and a couple of pairs of the old chrome Sunn trials/Bmix forks. Oh and a load of wheels, but even those are mainly destroyed - D521s on LX hubs, DDG hubs and Hope hubs.

1 person likes this