How many people still keep / ride retro trials parts? Builds?

Brettoll

So after riding trials now on and off the best part of 14 years I have been accidentally collecting parts off many of my rigs.

Was going through the shed and found a host of old stuff like flat bars / short cage road mechs / massive 22th bashrings for middleburns / gripshifts / all sorts of stems and it got me thinking about building a retro rig up again.

How many of you have done the same and just thought, sod it I am going to re-build a bit of history for some fun!!

Edited by Brettoll

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The footjam plate on my brakeless inspired in made from a vee booster I ran on my old univega MTB I started trials on.

Before I got my Hope rear hub last year, i I was running the same Chris King I got in 2002.

When I moved to America I brought my Shimano carbon vee booster, just in case...

• Like 3

I tried to put grip shift, 5 speeds and a road mech from back in the day (tightened with a cut spoke) on my hex... But I couldn't fit the cut down grip shift with my lock on grips on the arcade bars :(

Wheels are 16 years old- hubs are both King, dx32 in the back and tioga dh in the front... 10 year old echo fork as well.. For now..

Edited by AndyT
  • Like 1

Just to be sure, before what year is it considered "retro"?

I rebuilt my 07 Echo Control short, which is my first trials frame. I moved back to a +15 bb bike out of nostalgia! 

Other than that, I am riding on a 7 year old king hub that I got at the start of my trials riding. It's been very reliable. 

Edited by Sam Song
  • Like 1

A few years back I tracked down my first three trials bikes, not just the same model, but the exact ones I owned.  A 1999 X-Alp, a brisa B26, and a PX Zebdi I had ridden for about 7 years.  It was kinda fun.  Also bought a Manifesto that Ryan Leech had owned, even had some custom parts for him on it.  While I enjoyed looking at them and the occasional ride, I was a bit too pragmatic to hold onto them.

• Like 1

I sold one of my frames but have most of the rest of my stuff. A lot of the components are no good, and I've already binned some. Like crates of ruined bashguards, destroyed cassettes, broken Magura bits, old PowerPro cranksets with the tapers gone, all completely obsolete now. I do have a brand new set of the flexy USE forks, a new Fatty R (in the less-common red) and a couple of pairs of the old chrome Sunn trials/Bmix forks. Oh and a load of wheels, but even those are mainly destroyed - D521s on LX hubs, DDG hubs and Hope hubs.

• Like 1