Ghetto filming rig

AlexxRogers

Hi all.

I've recently build a proper ghetto iPhone filming rig and wanted to know what you all thought!

I've also bought some of those extra lenses you can get for iPhones. I can post test photos of comparisons if anyone's interested.

Here are some pics;

Fas6YLs.jpg

Zp6KuFR.jpg

oCopWlk.jpg

NnBqeSO.jpg

Here's a picture of all the extra lenses I've got;

ky9NvFo.jpg

Here's a video of the footage the rig produces;

• Like 3

Funny, your ghetto rig possibly cost as much as a dslr.

With just the Fisheye lens, the mic, the phone holder & tripods it came in at about £35.

Other lenses were £12 with the phone case.

The handle and platform thing are a paint pad with the foam taken off which I found laying around.

I'd love a DSLR with 4 lenses for >£50!

Think the BMX "scene" is so funny how it's cool to have the low down rolling shots, wide angle lens, riders wearing vests and caps not helmets. Nice little set up though, never knew you could get mics like that for iphones. Can you elaborate on it please?

• Like 2

Can you elaborate on it please?

Thanks!

It's just a normal shotgun microphone, with the adapter cable which allowed the iPhone to read it as a microphone, not a pair of headphones while filming.

I'm guessing the same could be done for any phone. As with everything else in the rig. The big fisheye is clip on, so works with any phone!

• Like 1

Think the BMX "scene" is so funny how it's cool to have the low down rolling shots, wide angle lens, riders wearing vests and caps not helmets.

Low rolling fisheye shots work really well for longer lines which is what people are doing now, so it's kind of inevitable really. You just can't film some stuff long.

I don't think you can even really say there's a trials "scene" as such with how small/fragmented it is...

Low rolling fisheye shots work really well for longer lines which is what people are doing now, so it's kind of inevitable really. You just can't film some stuff long.

I don't think you can even really say there's a trials "scene" as such with how small/fragmented it is...

Yeah that's true actually, it would be really weird to see the same bmx moves filmed on like a tripod and from far away. Wouldn't have the same affect that's for sure. Guess it just depends on the sport entirely?

Some filmers do tend to go for that kind of long tripod shot, but it just kind of makes stuff look a bit distant/detached. When everyone switched to HD there weren't really many fisheyes/wide angles people wanted to use so it got full-on artfag/long shot heavy for a while, then people realised they weren't filming some Hollywood movie. They've started trying to do it in skating videos too to give it more of a pro kinda look but again, it's more of a conceptual 'check me out' than actually making stuff look good.