Trail roadtrip 11-18th August - Gloucestershire/Wales?

Luke Rainbird

Gents,

I've managed to score a couple of weeks leave from work and hoping to get away next week with Soph to ride some bikes. Her mum has a place in Malvern so hoping to use that as a base and hit up some trails/centres in either the local-ish area and/or South Wales.

2-part question;

1. Anybody got a spot that they'd particularly recommend visiting? Bikepark Wales looks sweet but may be a little too DH-orientated for Soph who's relatively new to it all and will be on a hardtail?
2. Anybody vaguely in the region fancy a session? I've seen mention of Cannock Chase on here a few times. If it's worth a quick scoot up the M5 we could certainly find ourselves there.

Any pointers much appreciated :)

Gents,

I've managed to score a couple of weeks leave from work and hoping to get away next week with Soph to ride some bikes. Her mum has a place in Malvern so hoping to use that as a base and hit up some trails/centres in either the local-ish area and/or South Wales.

2-part question;

1. Anybody got a spot that they'd particularly recommend visiting? Bikepark Wales looks sweet but may be a little too DH-orientated for Soph who's relatively new to it all and will be on a hardtail?

2. Anybody vaguely in the region fancy a session? I've seen mention of Cannock Chase on here a few times. If it's worth a quick scoot up the M5 we could certainly find ourselves there.

Any pointers much appreciated :)

Don't be put off BPW for your girlfriend. There are a few tough bits (not that bad in the greater scheme of things) but these are exclusively reserved for the black and red routes. There are a selection of blue trails which are intended to get people in to, and excited by riding so i'd definitely try there. Also it gives you the option to do as many laps as you feel up to as opposed to one big loop, so you could always shoot off for a lap of the black and red trail whilst she has a coffee at the café.

Cannock chase is also pretty beginner friendly. Everything can be tackled at the riders chosen pace. Nothing is big or requires huge amounts of commitment, it's up to you to make what you want out of it. A lot of the more traditional South Wales trails such as those around Afan are fairly typical red grades so might not be so enjoyable to someone newer to the sport.

Winner, thanks Matthew. Skill level aside, do you think she would be ok riding the blue BPW tracks on a hardtail? Don't want to put her off too soon!

Think we may also pop in to the Forest of Dean for a day of relatively chilled out trails too. Few days of riding, couple surfing and one to collect a new passport/visit family. If the weather manages to stay semi-reasonable it should be a good week :)

I'd be game for any midlands/West Midlands stuff as I'm sure a few others would Luke, Cannocks a good ride, and I've only heard good things of BPW. If you find yourself around north wales at all checkout Penmachno. It's a volunteer ran trail that's incredible. It's only 21 miles but it's definatley an all dater, the views alone are incredible so it's worth taking some packed lunch to sit and enjoy it, but it is a fair way out the way..

• Like 1

Winner, thanks Matthew. Skill level aside, do you think she would be ok riding the blue BPW tracks on a hardtail? Don't want to put her off too soon!

Think we may also pop in to the Forest of Dean for a day of relatively chilled out trails too. Few days of riding, couple surfing and one to collect a new passport/visit family. If the weather manages to stay semi-reasonable it should be a good week :)

Yeah, definitely. I imagine some of the reds would be okay again, but the blue trail should be pretty smooth (I presume she's okay with getting out of the saddle for the downs?). A lot of BPW is very manicured being that it's a bike-park rather than a trail centre. I couldn't think of a better place to start to be honest. There's a cool little pump-track in the carpark so could be a good spot to warm up.

Wicked, cheers all!

Probably won't hit anywhere in North Wales but if there are a few folk from here game then perhaps a TF old boys Cannock session could be on the cards. Any preferences on date? Realistically it'd need to be during the week as I think we'll likely be heading home Friday night/Saturday morning.

BPW, Forest of Dean & Cannock plus maybe another spot in South Wales seems to be the way to go really. Thanks for the pointers chaps!

Have you been up to Haldon with her? Been up there with my missus and rented a couple bikes, went for the first time a few weekends ago and hit half the green then moved onto the blue for the rest of the day, Then went again last weekend and did the blue a few more times then did the red. She did really well :wub:

It's pretty tame and well set up so could be a good first stop on your way east.

Yeah we've done Haldon, Lanhydrock and Cardinham a few times so she's pretty comfortable with all the blue trails and some of the reds. Hoping to find some stuff at a similar level wherever we end up so that she can spin round a few and then I can add a couple of laps/sections to keep myself a little more entertained as well :)

Be aware that a fairly substantial portion of follow the dog (the easier trails) are closed from thursday due to racing, monkey is fully open but that is a fair bit higher skill/endurance level :)

edit: that said I can do thursday evening!

Edited by forteh