Is a bunny hop really necessary for Trials?

niconj

Just wondering. Many people write that they are struggeling with the bunny hop. Since I've started with trials I have almost forgotten about that technique I only know from MTB riding.

I thought that in trials you only need the Pedal Up and stuff as you almost never have enough run up distance to do a propper bunny hop.

What do you think?

That's probably because you spend more time doing pedal-ups though? The feel of bunnyhopping a trials bike is totally different to bunnyhopping anything else, and that seems to be the main stumbling block people have when they learn them. They're very two-stage on a trials bike, in the sense that you really have to lever the front end up and get it quite high before you can really put in the second part of the hop, whereas on a BMX/MTB/24 they tend to be a lot more fluid. I used to really struggle with them on my mod then the feeling/technique kind of clicked one day and I was able to improve the height I got drastically in a pretty short space of time.

In very much related news, mods + no bunnyhops = doing it wrong :P

• Like 1

That kind of depends on how you ride. In the World Cups they seem to have a few kickers on the go which riders have had to learn to bunnyhop, so they do come in handy. Similarly, at the Phoenix jam this weekend Ross McArthur was doing some pretty cool bunnyhop bump type things to rear (it was a setup that involved a couple of little steps leading up to a wall, so he was bumping off the bottom step to bunnyhop to rear wheel). Some of the more TGS dudes seem to do some pretty big bunnyhop hooks too.

EDIT: Bunnyhops to front are a lot of fun too, although probably suck on long bikes.

I do them all the time

I know you do. Let me rephrase my question then...

Is a bunny hop really necessary for pure trials?

And talking about positive transfer; what other techniques could benefit from a good bunny hop technique?

I can't imagine trials without bunny hops.

Im riding a 24 street bike at the moment, and i cant pedal up more than 90cm/1mt, with bunny hop i pass that no problems.

And if your bike is a long one, 1080mm or plus, with a high BB it can be very difficult to bunny-hop for sure.

And talking about positive transfer; what other techniques could benefit from a good bunny hop technique?

Yes, trials is all about riding over objects put in front of you, there's been comps where ramps, kickers and such have been included so it makes sense to be able to bunnyhop so you can ride anything. There was a comp in Canada where they had kickers and Gilles effectively lost the comp cos he couldn't hop his bike whereas Kenny could and took the win.

• Like 1

That's probably because you spend more time doing pedal-ups though? The feel of bunnyhopping a trials bike is totally different to bunnyhopping anything else, and that seems to be the main stumbling block people have when they learn them. They're very two-stage on a trials bike, in the sense that you really have to lever the front end up and get it quite high before you can really put in the second part of the hop, whereas on a BMX/MTB/24 they tend to be a lot more fluid. I used to really struggle with them on my mod then the feeling/technique kind of clicked one day and I was able to improve the height I got drastically in a pretty short space of time.

So in effect are you saying I should be able to bunnyhop my onza ska ,because I can't even get the front up hardly at all !!

Im hanging right off the back , and still can't get the friggin front up very easily !!

it depends if you want to do a bunny hops really doesn't it

I can probably hop about as high as I can pedal up, low to mid 40's but f**k that its scary

some times I catch my front wheel on the thing and find myself running along with the bike on the front wheel.

or I jump the bars

• Like 1

LOL

Pretty sure that the bunnyhop was one of the first "Pure trials" moves.

Bunnyhop -

up to two wheels

up to rear

into hook

across a gap

up a gap

over something

into tap

upto front

Neil, Damon, Craig, Flipp, Ali, Danny, Ben Lazenby, TRA and about 1000 more riders all use bunny hops

EDIT: George Blake also does them (Apparently)

Edited by Seabasss
  • Like 1