Is a bunny hop really necessary for Trials?

niconj

Basically I ride a 24" inspired all year round and Echo Lite in summer, and it's a real pain in the ass to reteach myself from bunny hops to pedal ups every time I switch. Both let me get up about a meter, but of course the choice depends on what kind of trials you ride, right? It's always good to master both though, just to be confident.

For pure trials I always found that pedaling up works top a certain point and beyond that you get more height by committing and bunny hopping it. On mod I could pedal up maybe 45"or so but for bigger stuff bunnys worked better. I'm sure Benito does something similar, Bunnying when things get stupid high.

Why are you separate "pure" trials from "dirty" one? WTF? What is pure? Pogo stick? 10 years ago there was no such a question "Is a bunny hop really necessary for Trials?"

I was actually being serious because I thought (now I know better) that a bunny hop wasn't needed in trials competitions. I've just started trials a year ago and haven't seen or ever been to a trials comp. That's why I thought that there's never enough space to do a proper bunny hop.

Edited by niconj

For most low level trials comp riding you could get on well enough without, what you call a proper bunnyhop.

but even for me riding novice and intermediate i find myself looking for opportunities for a nice bunnyhop here and there during comps to cover ground quickly and with less effort, so i don't have to pogo up stuff all the time.

you can pogo right through sections but its very tiring.

My answer to your question would be no, that is if you can find an alternative method to get up / over / around what you are trying to do as that is the nature of trials. I think the question you should be asking yourself is more, do I want to be able to bunny hop when riding trials? With any move you can choose not to do it and you are still riding trials, just decide if that's your chosen path. As with moves you have practised and now succeeded in doing with the bunny hop it'll take practise, whether you end up being able is down to your patience and willingness.

i can bunny hop about the same height as a pedal up, but straight up to rears look a lot more impressive imo. trials sorta stands out as doing up to fronts and up to rears, making the technique different from the bunnyhop, thats what i like about trials :)

my mate robert does "rollbunnies" at about 70cm,but he cant pedal up that height,i am the exact opposite,i can pedal up to the mid 70s easily but cant bunnyhop over 50 for sh*t.

the funny thing with this is that heÅ› riding a stock and me a 24,so one would expect it to be vice versa :)

Edited by FamilyBiker