Handlebar/stem setup.

dave5150

Hey guys, I'm new to trials and I bought a 2011 Inspired Fourplay Team that a guy built custom.. I'm struggling to learn how to balance on the rear wheel. I can pedal kick "okay" but I'm stressed that I can't balance on the rear wheel. I think it might be because of the bars and the stem.. the bike has an inspired high rise bar and a hope stem . I tried messing with angle but it's not helping.. do you have any suggestions?

practice more as with most of us it can be like 3 or 4 months you just can do it 1 day bit the rest of the week you cannot but then 1 day you wake up go out on your bike and you can just do it like you have been doing all the time you will get it just keep trying and practise

If you can pedal kick okay, it may not be the bars. Street frames such as the inspired fourplay don't really need excessive stem lengths because it makes performing beginner street moves, like bunny hops, endos, pivots, etc., more difficult.

Additionally, you can try lining the rising part of the bar up with the headtube, or even inline with the stem like the TGS setup.

edit: formatting

Edited by woahroger

To be honest a Fourplay is never going to be amazingly easy to hold on the rear wheel especially for a beginner. The relatively low BB is to make it stable for mostly 2 wheeled moves which is pretty much what the frame is designed for but that's not to say you can't hold it on the rear. If you want to make life easier on the rear then I'd recommend something like a 110mm stem but the angle depends on how much steerer you have and how tall you are.

Probably worth trying some new bars like trialtech high rise or if you're happy with those then go for a 110 x 25° stem.

I'm not sure what you mean by learing with pallets but if it's to lift the front wheel up I wouldn't bother, just keep working at it and you'll get there. It's not going to be an overnight thing, took me years to be able to backhop and balance on the rear properly!

Probably worth trying some new bars like trialtech high rise or if you're happy with those then go for a 110 x 25° stem.

I'm not sure what you mean by learing with pallets but if it's to lift the front wheel up I wouldn't bother, just keep working at it and you'll get there. It's not going to be an overnight thing, took me years to be able to backhop and balance on the rear properly!

Does form, foot/pedal placement, arm angle make a difference? Also, are you pushing the pedals with your feet or pulling back with your arms? I don't know anything about trials lol

When you're balanced on the rear wheel that's pretty much it you are balanced. You might push on the pedals to keep the front wheel from dropping but that's about it, obviously you want to be stood with your strong foot forward. It helps to learn on a slight slope in the same way you would with the trackstand as you push on your pedals to counteract the incline and it means you don't need to lean back as much.

Don't get stressed over it, just keep practicing the backhop and eventually you'll get to a point where you can hold it. Have you watched any vids on the subject??

When you're balanced on the rear wheel that's pretty much it you are balanced. You might push on the pedals to keep the front wheel from dropping but that's about it, obviously you want to be stood with your strong foot forward. It helps to learn on a slight slope in the same way you would with the trackstand as you push on your pedals to counteract the incline and it means you don't need to lean back as much.

Don't get stressed over it, just keep practicing the backhop and eventually you'll get to a point where you can hold it. Have you watched any vids on the subject??

These are the vids...

• Like 1

Keep at it, incidentally I uploaded the top vid! Maybe try and get hold of a copy of the full dvd Tricks and Stunts

How do you suggest I practice? I'm confused watching other riders techniques.. I'd like to know how you practiced it. I feel like I'm practicing wrong.. I'm trying it as of now with a lower psi than I normally do

Edited by dave5150

Just do like the video and practice hopping on the spot, maybe get some chalk/a stone and mark some lines on the road and practice hopping between them. It's all a matter of muscle memory and teaching your body how to react to the feel of the bike, the more you do it the easier it'll become but if you're getting stressed out and really pressuring yourself to learn it then do something else for a while and come back to it.

Just do like the video and practice hopping on the spot, maybe get some chalk/a stone and mark some lines on the road and practice hopping between them. It's all a matter of muscle memory and teaching your body how to react to the feel of the bike, the more you do it the easier it'll become but if you're getting stressed out and really pressuring yourself to learn it then do something else for a while and come back to it.

Going to buy some bars and try them out.. Is the Trialtech high rise better to try, or the Inspired Arcade bars?

Trialtech high rise would be your best bet for that! If it is the standard Phase bars you're replacing they should really make a difference!

One thing to remember is that with the BB being quite low on that frame balancing on the rear will be made slightly more difficult but it'll mean if you upgrade to a more modern(ish) geo everything will feel a lot easier. I'd always say it's better learning the basics on a pretty neutral frame as it's more about your skill than the bike as high BB, short stay frames are designed to be sat on the rear wheel.

Trialtech high rise would be your best bet for that! If it is the standard Phase bars you're replacing they should really make a difference!

E-Mailed Tarty Bikes, and they told me not to bother buying new bars. http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/handlebars/inspired_riser/c136p11074.html these are the bars. I checked the Trialtech, and the bars are 2cm higher? Does that really change the feel/make it easier to do street moves (i.e. bunny hops, g-turns, etc.)?