Brought not bought

dann2707

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that does my head in, every dick head finds a way to put it in every sentence, even if they don't actually know what it means.

Also, someone I know always talks about slowing down for a roundabout or a corner, talking about when they "broke" for the corner, that really does kill me.

Edited by LEON

Yeah that literally does my head in, every dick head literally finds a way to put in literally every sentence, even if they literally don't actually know what it means.

Also, someone I literally know always talks about literally slowing down for a roundabout or a corner, literally talking about when they "broke" for the corner, that literally really does kill me.

Fixed it. Edited by dngr2self

I utterly abhor the use of the word "literally" in any such sentence where the actuality of what was said wasn't in doubt for a single f*cking second. "I was literally furious when somebody took my wing mirror off", well my God, thanks for clearing that up if you had just said you were furious I would have assumed it was a metaphor and you were delighted about it.

Seems since the advent of social media the English used by kids, and adults alike, has gone pretty downhill.

The worst thing of the lot has to be intentional misuse of language to try and fit in with a bunch of illiterate twits, but everyone to their own!

Edited by OlegTinkov

Surely the use of literally where it blatantly doesn't fit is worse?

"I'm so hungover I'm literally going to die."

"I'm literally going to kill them"

No. No you're not. Unless you are, in which case seek help immediately.

• Like 1

Definitely now you say it! I was pointing out the fact it's such an unnecessary precursor to many statements which I would take to be true whether if it was or wasn't there, so it annoys me by the sheer number of times it crops up in these people's sentences, but the cases of use that you gave are prime examples of going against the real meaning of the word which is needless to say worse.

Another one that I've heard recently is "tishnow" in place of what should be just now...

A general lack of literacy.

Especially noticeable in some Facebook 'for sale' groups.

I wouldn't call myself a pedant, but when it gets to the point I have to decipher an advert and the picture posted is an upside down screen capture from someone's phone, it's a real head in hands moment, praying for the salvation of mankind.

Why did you say Dan it was LEON haha

I'm saying it pissed me off when people say should of when it's should have.

That's EXACTLY what Leon was saying, he just used less words and gave two examples. You've taken his two examples, reduced it to one and included what it 'should of' been.

• Like 1

Are you sure people aren't saying 'should've' as opposed to 'should of'?

Suppose its much the same thing, but should've seems to be a correct contracted form, but MEH. I should of known this topic would be full of moany ol' men... :P

Edited by ben_travis

Suppose its much the same thing, but should've seems to be a correct contracted form, but MEH. I should of known this topic would be full of dann270774845465626... :P

Corrected :wink:

Suppose its much the same thing, but should've seems to be a correct contracted form, but MEH. I should of known this topic would be full of moany ol' men... :P

They definitely sound similar. I'm talking about when it's written down, though, so no excuse. Then again, it wasn't my gripe in the first place :)

• Like 1