Fitness bands and activity trackers.

Pashley26

Sup G's.

Lad at work has a Jawbone, claims it is a fantastic mental aid to stop him snacking, reminding him to drink water and live healthy. (His words not mine)

This is what I need to supplement my daily fitness routine I think. And I'm a geek, so I want to know the stats and figures.

Guy at work doesn't really have anything I say about the functionality of his activity tracking wrist band, but just says he likes it.

I've wanted one for a while, but ultimately I want something I can wear as a watch replacement. Because I always wear a watch I can't really have a watch and a band, it would be silly.

So.

I've been looking at the Fitbit Surge. I thought to myself, that fits the bill. I'll order one.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/fitbit-surge-1270574/review

Not out yet.

So then I searched some more and found the Basis Peak. That fits the bill I said, I'll buy that.

http://www.mybasis.com

Not out yet.

And so on and so forth!

So can I outline what I want and ask the collective knowledge of TF to help me find something?

I want an activity tracker that will monitor my heart rate, my distance travelled, automatically detect sleep and monitor my patterns, have a 48h + battery life, have phone connectivity and ultimately have a smart watch type interface.

Does such a thing exist? Or are my requirements beyond current technology?

Edited by Pashley26

you looked at the garmin ones? i have a vivofit, but theres a model up from it that does smart phone stuff. the vivofit was cheap through work so i just chose it without doing any homework like. i'm very pleased with it though.

Unfortunately none of the Garmin models offer sleep monitoring, which if I am honest is a feature I want.

Just because I find myself waking in the night a lot, and I'm curious about what my body is doing whilst I am asleep and not conscious of it on training days, rest days and following different diet variations and routines. And I want to find out if cheese really does give you nightmares or not.

Thanks for the recommendation though :)

• 1 month later...

It's worth getting registered with https://www.bounts.it/ as you can earn points from workouts/walking/running/cycling which can be exchanged for shopping vouchers and stuff! If you sign up with the referral code barratt946 you'll get 50 bonus points for signing up and another 50 when you complete your first activity. One of my mates who runs our local gym has just got me signed up as I'm getting a Jawbone for crimbo and you can also link stuff like Strava and earn using that!

UP website:

When you synch with the UP mobile app, we collect the following information your band collects about you whenever you wear it: Detailed physical information based on monitoring your micromovements, including when you are asleep, when you are awake, when you are idle, and your activity intensity and duration. This data is translated into information such as your sleep patterns, calories you burn, and your trends and progress. This information can also reveal certain health conditions you may have.

and the fun part:

We may share your personal information for the purposes of a business deal (...).

Typically, these deals are with "HR" or insurance analytics companies.

So apply to a job, get rejected automatically because of how and when you sleep.

Not something I just made up: http://www.hrexaminer.com/reengineering-hr-five-threads-of-technology/

There are a lot of greedy idiots out there, who will do anything for money or more control over other people.

Edited by stirlingpowers

I am going to buy an apple watch, 100%.

This was going to be for the time being to see how I got on with the concept and feel of having something like this.

Having worn it all day every day I can really see that if the Apple watch does what it says it does it will be a monster success.

f**k paying for them, I bashed an old woman's face in and got one of these for free.

attachicon.gifAA85DD_2250170b.jpg

Perhaps the most accurate description of the business model.

Better than him having it on his willy with the 19 sex sessions a day. There isn't enough internet to cope with that information.

One can conclude that activity from the wrist motions easily.

I randomly got a Sony smartband(swr10) as a present, not sure why :S guess I'm trying it out though.

So I've had this thing on a few days now and.. well.. I can't see the point :S I like the phone to wrist related functions but the fitness/activity stuff is a bit gimmicky. having to use 3 apps to run it is bloaty and has a noticeable impact on the battery.

Imo the sony swr10 is kinda pants.