Retro Gaming

Pashley26

I've almost dedicated this entire week to playing games on my Macbook, iPad and iPhone.

I've tried all the emulators, built all the cores, tried all the GPU Plugin's but I've found the best one.

http://openemu.org

It's fantastic.

It works seamlessly with my PS3 controller even on my Macbook, the interface is beautiful and the ease of use and automatically library that it makes are great.

Get on it, install all the core options and drag and drop your ISO's and ROM's straight into it.

Jailbreak iPad, buy Controller 4 all, install BTStack, plug the PS Cobtroller into a computer which has "six axis pair tool" installed, go to general in your iPad, find the Bluetooth id number and change the ID number of the controller to match with the pair tool.

Then every time you open a game or app which is "designed for apple" it will auto prompt you to turn on the controller and work.

Anyone remember the demo videos that Mean Machines mag used to give out? Used to absolutely love getting that, I still remember Sonic 1 coming out and them calling it the greatest game ever which to be fair is still pretty relevant.

Was gutted when they eventually split into Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System as all the good writers went over to NMS and I had all Sega's so no use for it.

Also in related news, who had a cyber razor cut?

Just to highlight, the game is called Alex Kidd, as in a person called Alex whose surname is Kidd, not a kid called Alex.

Drives me nuts.

Well, sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-ry for not remembering shit from when i was the kid.

errr, i mean, a kid.

:P

You should all check out this PC classic.

Grim_Fandango_artwork.jpg

Still one of my favourite games ever, can't wait for the re-release.

I recognise that picture, but never played it.

I'd completely forgotten about Ades Odyssey!

All time favourite game for sure, even if it's just a platform game. I regularly dig out the PS1 and play it as its the sole remaining game I wanted to keep.

I'd love to see a remastered version but that doesn't lose its feel

Mega

I'd completely forgotten about Ades Odyssey!

All time favourite game for sure, even if it's just a platform game. I regularly dig out the PS1 and play it as its the sole remaining game I wanted to keep.

I'd love to see a remastered version but that doesn't lose its feel

Mega

Re-mastered version of Abes Oddysee is out on the PS4, it's called 'Abes Oddysee New 'n' Tasty'

Another game I downloaded for my PSP a few months back along with Abe's Exodus. If you think PS1 stuff is retro then get a PSP as it's all available on there or you can rip your own games onto them. Also got GTA, FFVII, Moto Racer, Music and Die Hard on mine.

I just installed a W7 virtual machine on my computer for some gaming fun. Got NFSU2 working do far but gonna have a play with some other games.

Probably going to install an XP VM as well, get some proper old stuff going.

I still have my all my old consoles set up and play them often, these new games are nowhere near as good. Got my PS1, PS2 and Original Xbox, Sega Megadrive too but thats broke.

Here's most of my classic games:

IMG_0483.jpg

And below is the sound of my childhood, I listen to these everyday at work. I was playing Tomb Raider, MGS, Resident Evil, Syphon Filter, Crash Bandicoot, GTA etc etc all at the age of 4/5/6. Im 23 nearly 24 now and I sometimes just sit and listen to these songs below and think where has the time gone :\ Best days of my life.

Tomb Raider OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVl7Y3PVUZs

Metal Gear Solid OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

Resident Evil 2 Save Room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4VaYvcjxHY

Resident Evil 2 Again (This one is so good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDBWfUipBLg

And finally as someone posted earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ivdML1Xes

Edited by Otacon
  • Like 1

Syphon FIlter wasn't released until 1999. You would have been 8.

Metal Gear Solid was released in 1998. You'd have been 7.

The original GTA was released in 1997. You'd have been 6.

Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil etc were released in 1996 so you'd have been 5.

Thanks for clearing that up. It was a rough guess :)

When you spend your days listening to background music from games from the 90s, it gives a fair impression of where your time's gone..!

Yeah. I did what 95% of children who were born in the early 90's did. Play video games, Then i discovered trials at around 11 and rode from there, still playing video games but not as much. Memories are a good thing and by listening the these soundtracks, It takes you back a few years and just brings back some good memories. It doesn't really make a difference though tbf, You chose your path and what to do when you were younger, I chose mine. I don't just sit there all day listening to them, My job allows me to have my Ipod on all day, so I'm always listening to music.

• 3 months later...

Have you ever tried to beat this game 100%? It's an experience and very f**king difficult.

If i could be arsed i would crack out my PSX and take a look on the memory card as i wouldn't be surprised if i did. I played that a lot and remember doing the same tracks over and over.

I do remember Crash Bandicoot 2 gave me some serious shit though. Did that like 97%.

How uncool isit that i own 6 variants of Final Fantasy soundtracks on CD?