Tubeless tyre recommendations

Duncy H

Heyy folks,

Looking at changing my tyre set up for an endure style of riding (hate the overuse of the word enduro), currently got a set of worn out single ply minions and a set of dual ply high roller 2s (like new but a bit overkill).

I've recently built up my wheels onto stan's flow rims so thinking of going tubeless. But I'm a bit stumped for what to go for, I do like maxxis tyres as you might have guessed. There now seems to be single ply, dual ply and exo which sits in-between?

I actually really like the high roller 2s i've got they are just too much for anything I ride on a regular basis. Also choices on compounds? 60a, super tacky 42a or 3c jazz? Again any recommendations? Budget wise I don't really mind if it is worth it.

Cheers for any help.

Edited by Duncy H

WTB Vigilante. They come in a light/fast compound and a tough/grip & tough/fast compound. Really good tyres with plenty of grip for most riding conditions.

I've just recently switched to Michelin tyres front and back, with a mud spike (Wild Mud Advanced) up front and a big ol' tough tyre on the rear (Wild Rock'r 2 Advanced). They're quite a heavy combo (about 1kg each) but they're super grippy and really tough which suits the natural trails at this time of year up in Scotland. With the shitty weather I really can't be doing with ripping tubeless tyres on big rocks so considering conditions are mainly nasty for the next few months I'd recommend something a bit tougher that you can fit and forget and allow you to just stay on your bike until things brighten up for spring/summer. It's not like changing tubeless tyres is the quickest or most fun task so I'd go for something that's the best solution for most of the trails/conditions you ride.

Cheers for the input guys, have taken it all in even if I don't reply directly too it.

Went out today on the high roller 2 dual plys (I bought them last year for a trip to fort william, used them with tubes today) and the bike felt so sluggish and slow in the climbs, in certain parts of the descents they felt more solid like they could take a hammering but took a lot of fun out of how the bike handled. I really didn't like running them, but they'll be of use on occasions where an uplift is involved.

With that in mind I was going to attempt to run my single ply minions for now tubeless and then go from there. Anybody had experience using oldish tyres for tubeless? I gathered the newer the better in terms of sealing them. I'm not scared of going tubeless cause I've run it for years on the motorbike.

The sort of terrain I ride can be rocky but not sharp stuff that would worry me about cutting the tyres.

Single ply folding tyres will work tubeless but the sidewalls will most likely fail quite quick in rocky conditions. There's a lot of tyres that have reinforced sidewalls for tubeless setups e.g exo, snakeskin, protection.....ect

When I run tubeless I tend to go with 2.4 wide tyres with extra sidewall reinforcements to reduce the chance of rim damage or tyre snake bites.

Conti do apex sidewalls and schwalbe do super gravity. There worth looking into if your riding a 140-160 travel bike over practically dh tracks

Just put a specialized tyre onto the back of my bike.

Not the lightest of tyres but it hasn't failed me grip wise and aside from the slow rolling effects it has its pretty much bang on for me. Specialized do a good range actually, Worth having a wee look at maybe.

The one I put on was the Butcher.

Dead easy to get on. Sealed straight away with no issues.