Removing a sprocket, the ghetto way

HippY

Hey guys

I am in need your help

All I need to build my bike up, is to remove 2 screw on sprockets from a crank and a wheel... and here is my problem

Local Bike shop tried and bent their chainwhip. Last time I installed a screw on sprocket on a cranks they were like " it will be easy to remove it". Should I go there with Tarty vid to give them an idea?

I went to a friend with a vice, but it was not a bolt through one. we gave it a go, tried to give it huge power, no movement at all (except chain)

is there any other way to remove the sprocket? I do not want to keep them, I just want to keep the threads in good condition. Should I heat up the sprocket? I have a heat gun, good for 300 C. also I can grind it down I have a grinder ( a block of metal basically, so not the quick mechanical ones)...

I am not sure what to do :(

Tarty video, or new Trialtech tool: http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/155894-new-from-trialtech/?p=2618286

Love it when bike shops break chain whips trying to remove sprockets, you can tell them as many times as you like that it won't work but they keep trying!

I watched tarty video many times, before I do any kind of servicing, I take a look there.

that sounds interesting, does it require a vice?

I made an extra long chain whip with a 1m long piece of steel and an old kool chain. I find spraying them with wd or gt and leaving it about a day helps as well as a bit of heat before you do it. I snapped my old vice doing it before though so be careful.

that is a good idea, ill do that!

If you mean does the Trialtech tool require a vice - no, you can use it with an extension bar or adjustable spanner on the end of the handle.

Or, if you're f**king ripped, just use it as-is...

amazing, next question when it will be available, and I hope it will not cost a fortune..

Might do, worth a shot, be prepared for a potential chain snap though.

I got a chain a brand new 610HX that I used to try to remove the sprocket with a vice.

so i would not use for anything else than removing sprocket.

Are you wanting to keep the sprocket? If not get a dremel and a thin cutting disc. Be very careful. Put a thin cut at 12 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock on the sprocket. But just so your through the sprocket. Then grab a screw driver and place it in one of the slots and twist. should break off in 2 bits, just be very careful. Done it once, but it will be okay if you don't rush it.

Are you wanting to keep the sprocket? If not get a dremel and a thin cutting disc. Be very careful. Put a thin cut at 12 o'clock and another at 6 o'clock on the sprocket. But just so your through the sprocket. Then grab a screw driver and place it in one of the slots and twist. should break off in 2 bits, just be very careful. Done it once, but it will be okay if you don't rush it.

I do not intend to keep it

I do not have a dremel, but I have other handtools

but,

We were success with the rear wheel. Went to LBS asked them for the vice, they were like" it is impossible to remove that sprocket" after 5 min it was done.

We just need to find a bar for the crank.

quick question regarding cranks:

How much does it matter if I mix the cranks? so for example I get a new driver side cranks with no sprocket, as it seems it will take a good while to find someone with the tools to take the cranks off in a short period of time. it would be the 170mm too and wide-ish offset

Get yourself a good vice, two blocks of wood and a large pole.

Stick the two blocks of wood in the vice and insert crank arm so the teeth dig into the wood when the vice is wound up. Then take your pole, insert onto the crank arm and gently rotate.

Same thing with a wheel but rotate using the rim as a lever.

Get yourself a good vice, two blocks of wood and a large pole.

Stick the two blocks of wood in the vice and insert crank arm so the teeth dig into the wood when the vice is wound up. Then take your pole, insert onto the crank arm and gently rotate.

Same thing with a wheel but rotate using the rim as a lever.

We cannot find a pole, that is our problem

Another way is a long bolt through the bolt hole. I used an 8 inch coach bolt but it only needs to be about 4, it needs to be about 10mm thick though. Then put an old pedal on. You can then use a metal bar between the bolt and pedal. I used a 2 foot crow bar and this method when I couldn't find something to slide over the crank.