24 build

Scott Gibbs

Ok chaps I've recently bagged an unused 24UK and I need help on how to build it up, money is going to be fairly tight on this as I've spanked a lot of my budget on the frame and forks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also what do you guys think do I build it old school or new school?

Edited by Scott Gibbs

I just can't see it being great, my old Maguras (with tar) all had better hold than my Saints, a BB5 will be nowhere near Saints, let alone a Magura hs33. I've only tried BB7's, and one of them really impressed me, old model caliper on the front of a 26" tgs bike with an XT lever, but other than that I've never been blown away by cable discs. Use a Magura if you've got the mounts.

Not yet but I'm planning on getting some of those tyres the P Lytes, sure I read somewhere Ali used them and liked them.

They were cool on my brakeless bike, gave it more of a BMX feel. I wouldn't use one for trialsy use though. They're not as grippy as a conti, they're pretty narrow and pretty heavy.

Lesser than Saints.

Not counting the free stroke adjustment and the different pads the brake comes with, a Zee is a Saint with different grafics*. Putting the same pads into the Zee caliper pretty much makes it a Saint. I can't see it being less powerful.

*820vs.640

Edited by niconj

Yeah but they're the same as M820's, which 9/10 people say are pretty crap for trials and have ugly stubby little levers which offer no leverage. I have no idea why they ever got rid of the M810 lever.

Because Shimano isn't trials oriented. ;) For MTB use those levers and the brakes in general are pretty awesome. Bleeding got easier as well. I read somewhere that the newer style lever has a different ratio -> stronger brake. Dunno if it's true.

There is no way the new brake is more powerful with that tiny little lever. We need more power than any mountain bikers, and if M810 are cool but M820 are not, then power - wise that's pretty conclusive.

Bleeding an M810 is not exactly hard, I heard the seals got better but other than that they're just not as good for trials, only a tiny percentage of disc brakes are.

Ali I've seen your for sale thread, most people don't have 600 levers and calipers to play with, until you regularly use them on your bike over the old ones and have success I'll continue to dislike them :) The feel is a problem for me too, they're just unnecessarily short, reminds of the '98 xt levers. As a whole m820 brake, pretty much everyone I've spoken to about theirs was disappointed and got rid of them, which in turn was disappointing for me because good or new M810s are getting rarer.

Edited by LEON

I totally know what you mean about the looks....when the lever body is longer than the lever blade it's not a good look! It's slowly growing on me though but I'll always have a soft spot for a vertical lay out (Magura MT2 being my fave lever design looks wise).

My brake is really really good though!