Tmars Dropper Post Review?

isitafox

I've been really happy with mine. It's one of the 110mm travel, 3 position (down, mid and up) ones and for the money I really can't complain. Considering you can pay like £180 for a Gravity Dropper which appears to be nigh on identical it does exactly what it needs to. The only thing I'd say is that the lever it comes with does seem a bit, well, shit so changing it to something like the Suntour lockoff lever makes sense in my book.

I have the same setup as Dave (including the Suntour lock off). It has been great so far, a fair bit of play but that seems to be normal with many droppers. It's smooth and not excessively fast at springing up so you don't completely destroy your testicles. It looks gash but for the price I really don't mind

I also have one and it works ok. If something it needs cleaning very often as dirt and grit gets inside compromising its performance. You also might want to disassemble when you get it and get rid off the thick grease it comes with. A thinner one works much better in my opininon

• 4 weeks later...

I've been really happy with mine. It's one of the 110mm travel, 3 position (down, mid and up) ones and for the money I really can't complain. Considering you can pay like £180 for a Gravity Dropper which appears to be nigh on identical it does exactly what it needs to. The only thing I'd say is that the lever it comes with does seem a bit, well, shit so changing it to something like the Suntour lockoff lever makes sense in my book.

Reading this topic reminded me I'd seen a home brew dropper somewhere on my travels, then I searched, found the topic and realised is was you who did it http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/178904-home-made-dropper-post/?hl=%2Bdropper+%2Bseatpost

How did it work out in the end, Is it worth doing?? Oh and what did you get the strut from? i.e. i go into the motor factors, what do I ask for?

Fo the amount these Tmars ones cost you needn't bother, it was a good idea at the time but it's not economically viable now!

A gas strut costs 20quid tops, no? or I'll go to the scrappy and get a couple of a van or something for that much.

I appreciate what your saying but with everything else in life I ain't ever gonna have 80quid to spend on a seatpost. If this genuinely works and I can home brew it from scrap I see that as better than the standard post that I never put down because I cant get comfy again when I put it back, so I have to stop and faff til it's right.

Reading this topic reminded me I'd seen a home brew dropper somewhere on my travels, then I searched, found the topic and realised is was you who did it http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/topic/178904-home-made-dropper-post/?hl=%2Bdropper+%2Bseatpost

How did it work out in the end, Is it worth doing?? Oh and what did you get the strut from? i.e. i go into the motor factors, what do I ask for?

It did work as I wanted it to but the issue was having to reach down to activate it (release the seat QR then redo while riding). When I came across the cheap Tmars ones with the remote actuation I thought I'd give it a go. The gas strut was a cheap one from eBay (was an 8kg one that cost £6.74 I think) and it's certainly doable in an afternoon but I must admit I like having a lever on the bars now!

If you do go for it I'd say the USE plastic shim/bush was a good plan- had the required split already in it to line up with the alignment slot in the post and related pin through the seat clamp and did a good job of keeping metallic surfaces apart.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...