Try All Carbon Forks and Trialtech Sport Lite rim not compatible

niconj

Kinda pissed by this. My Try All Carbon forks are too narrow. I can't get my front rim to fit through the brake without at least taking away half the pad. Is that normal with these forks?

By the way... the closed Racing Line Warning Thread... I just tried bleeding my new Nano lever and it's got the same issue. Poor quality on both parts.

Edited by niconj

Should of found out the spacing before buying them then! Ptfe tape will sort out your bleed bolt though

One would think that a Trials specific fork works with a trial specific rim that is, surprise surprise, wider than a normal MTB rim. It doesn't say that it's only for 32mm rims in the description which it should!

Would them TENSILE offset mounts work with these forks? Better than getting a different rim. With Aluminium washers it should work as well as with the washer less clamps I've got.

Edited by niconj

Personally I would trim the pads down.

I'd have to trim them down to about 3 mm to have enough clearance. As it is now, the pads touch the rim being half worn and w/o having screwed in the lever reach screw. So those Tensile mounts aren't good enough?

I'd get a slim set of CNC backings like some Phatpads ones.

I've got the TNN backings with ADM black pads. What I thought is to switch the rear pads as soon as they have worn down enough and put them on the front.

Edit: Where can I find these Phatpads backings?

Edited by niconj

Wanted ad on here, not sure you can still buy them from anywhere???

They're 6mm thick though if that helps you measuring stuff up.

I'll measure my TNN backings.... I'm kinda undecided whether to get a new rim (and new spokes) or just use worn down pads from the rear...

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the front rim that comes on the Sky2 complete bike (Koxx sky rim) is 37mm wide (happy to be corrected).

anyway, I had that rim, in the carbon forks for, well, years. I used Trialtech plastic backed pads in the front (I know pad choice comes down to preference) but I found this set-up ok... I also don't run my brakes really sharp. I appreciate the Trialtech rim is 39mm, and 1mm "each side" will make a huge difference when trying to chase mm's but still...

Try some clamps similar to Tryall's too? might give that slight more adjustment? Secondly give Tryall crocco yellow pads a go on the front. I believe they are a little slimmer too?

Cheers. Barry.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the front rim that comes on the Sky2 complete bike (Koxx sky rim) is 37mm wide (happy to be corrected).

anyway, I had that rim, in the carbon forks for, well, years. I used Trialtech plastic backed pads in the front (I know pad choice comes down to preference) but I found this set-up ok... I also don't run my brakes really sharp. I appreciate the Trialtech rim is 39mm, and 1mm "each side" will make a huge difference when trying to chase mm's but still...

Try some clamps similar to Tryall's too? might give that slight more adjustment? Secondly give Tryall crocco yellow pads a go on the front. I believe they are a little slimmer too?

Cheers. Barry.

Thanks Barry but I think that the forks have been changed or sth. There's no way that a 37mm rim fits through my forks using standard pads.

I'll get a 32mm rim I guess. Cannot trim down pads every time I get new ones.

I used a neon front rim in my TryAll Karbons, not sure of the ERD of them though. It was a squeeze at 35mm wide.

Sell your existing wheel and then buy a new one?

I just bought a different rim (Kabra 32mm) and new Spokes. I will rebuild the wheel with the existing rim and spokes as soon as I get a special offer on the Echo TR hub I build it with. Then I'll sell the wheel.

For now I am happy with the 100gr. weight loss on the front even though I would've liked a wider and heavier rim as it's more stable I think.

Edited by niconj