Cold hands!

forteh

In my advancing years I am getting colder and colder hands (not specifically when cycling but generally all the time unless it's warm ambient) and I'm finding that I'm suffering with cold painful hands. I'm looking to get some warm/waterproof gloves but not sure what I should really be looking for. I don't need them to be 100% waterproof to the point of never letting water in just as long as my hands stay warm should I get caught out in the rain during a ride. I also want my hands to be warm when it's cold, currently I lose feeling in my fingers after 10 minutes or so on the bike.

I was originally looking at sealskinz but have read mixed reviews in that they feel vague due to the seperate liner being loose inside the shell, have also considered endura strikes but a few of the reviews claim that they're not warm or waterproof (although the majority are good).

Before I commit I would like to hear anyones personal experience and recommendations :)

I can ride through it but when you can't hold onto the bars because your hands have frozen into claws it's no fun :(

I used to suffer from tendonitis in my fingers from gripping my bars too tight (going back almost 20 years), I don't know if that if exacerbating the issue but it just ruins the ride. My hands and feet get really cold when the rest of my is really warm, going to get some neoprene overshoes for the feet but need to sort my hands really. I'm currently sitting in a 25°C office with a fleece on, I'm lovely and warm yet my fingers are cold, once I lose heat from my hands I really struggle to get them warm again.

Good info on the sealskinz, I tried some on in halfords for sizing and they did feel a little vague but a second opinion is always handy. The wife used to work with horses in all weathers and also said that after trying sealskinz she wasn't that impressed and that normal gloves with a silk liner was far better although not waterproof.

I've got some dakine glove liners that I've tried with my regular summer gloves and with some fleecey berghaus but they don't seem to help any but that might just be because of windchill. Leaning more towards the endura gloves I think :)

Proper riding as in XC, commuting to work as well. I would prefer to retain dexterity if possible :)

edit: what about the endura windchill gloves? Lack of true waterproofing isn't too much of an issue as I tend to be a dry(er) weather rider but presuming they're a single layer glove would give better dexterity?

Edited by forteh

Edit: NO WAY. I just wrote you a massive essay response then went to edit a tiny spelling mistake and stoopidly deleted a big chunk of it then posted it.

DOH!

I'll try to re-post somehting later.. The gist of it was.. Natural Fibres! Specifically.. WOOL!

'Cycling specific' winter gloves suck and theyre way expensive because they got a bit of reflective tape on them?

Ive been riding something *like* this all winter. Although what iv'e got is from M&S and is around 90% Natural wool outer with the Thinsulate inner and same style leather palm which is quite grippy. By far the warmest glove iv'e ridden in and strangely even in the wet they dont get cold. However - certainly too bulky for any type of serious technical riding - but is extremely warm for relaxed hands riding - road etc.

Other than this, on the *not-so-cold cold days* I wear a Long cuff 100% Merino glove, inside a thin silky synthetic lliner - inside a fingerless cycling glove to give it grippy palm and give the whole thing shape/fit with the velcro wrist strap.

Works amazingly and is much warmer than any crappy synthetic cycling glove. The key really is Natural Wool. I did write a whole essay about how wool is perfectly designed to do the very job right down to its molecular-quatum-thermo-dynamics but i'm not writing all that again. Safe to say it's been R+D'd by mother nature herself and is truly purpose built.

Try either of these.. i say the key really is Wool. The first glove is very warm - i rode to sheffield on a cold day in January and it was Too warm! The Merino/Liner/Fingerless set up - i even ride trials with that on colder days! Its a very warm set up considering its dexterity! I use a Liner thats snug over the Merino and glove thats got plenty of room for the both to fit inside :)

Hope this helps

Edit: These are the Merino gloves. I didnt pay that price - i found some at tK Maxx for £14 and i knew that was a good price for such quality Merino gloves. With Merino a little goes a long way and Theyre the thickest ones ive found and are much thicker than those EDZ at 9.99 which are the thin 'liner' type by the looks (and price) of it. The Ralph Lauren ones are certainly good quality and even though i'm sure some of the extra price is for the brand i actually think most of it is actually in the material and quality of this glove. If i couldnt find some more at £14 i'd be tempted even at £30 after having used them! I've done a fair bit of trials in them (with the fingerless glove set up over the top) and they lasted fine up until i gave them to a (non-riding) friend who had no gloves this winter. I'm looking to get some more..

These seem interesting - those inside a nice fingerless cycling glove might be pretty nice but i have a feeling there'd be less Merino overall than with the R.L's.

Also These look pretty thick and are apparently dual layer - at £15 i might try these myself!

Interesting what it says in the description on this item..

All the best with your quest (Y)

Edited by sharn

Proper riding as in XC, commuting to work as well. I would prefer to retain dexterity if possible :)

edit: what about the endura windchill gloves? Lack of true waterproofing isn't too much of an issue as I tend to be a dry(er) weather rider but presuming they're a single layer glove would give better dexterity?

The problem I've always found with winter type gloves is that they're always really thick - Personally I can only use thin gloves (I prefer not to wear them at all)

My favourite solution for winter MTB riding has always been to put on a set of surgical latex gloves on underneath my normal riding gloves. Zero loss of dexterity/sensitivity, and they are completely wind/waterproof. Because they can't breath at all, any sweat is trapped and your hands stay pretty warm. Over a long ride they will get a bit manky inside, but they're so cheap and small I'd always stick a couple spare sets in my pack so when stopping for food I'd just swap them out.

You can pick up big multipacks for bugger all

The problem I've always found with winter type gloves is that they're always really thick - Personally I can only use thin gloves (I prefer not to wear them at all)

My favourite solution for winter MTB riding has always been to put on a set of surgical latex gloves on underneath my normal riding gloves. Zero loss of dexterity/sensitivity, and they are completely wind/waterproof. Because they can't breath at all, any sweat is trapped and your hands stay pretty warm. Over a long ride they will get a bit manky inside, but they're so cheap and small I'd always stick a couple spare sets in my pack so when stopping for food I'd just swap them out.

You can pick up big multipacks for bugger all

I won't lie.. this sounds like my worst nightmare! I really dislike any un-natural material against my skin especially when i'm going to be sweating! Even loose fitted polyester nevermind tight fitted latex!!

The Skin has pores for a reason.. it wants to breath! Wool is literally perfectly design for this job right down to every molecule.. It's made by the same force that made everything in the universe to do exactly this job! Why on earth would we not use it?! Don't get me wrong- it's only been the last couple of years that iv'e realised wearing plastic based fibres is basically ridiculous and the sole reason things always smelt bad after excersize. It's un-hygeinic and that bad smell is bacteria - which you want to get away from your skin. I can say with certainty that after now only wearing clothing that is 100% cotton or wool i very rarely smell bad even after sweating.

The exceptions of what i wear that are not natural fibres are obviously shoes (although i try my to wear leather/suede uppers as much as possible - suede with mesh NB trainers are good), Over trousers and Waterproof jackets for when its properly raining.

The beautiful thing about Merino is you hardly have to wash it! Just let it air out on the line and it'll go for weeks without a wash! Polyester goes about 3 hours before it starts smelling? No comparison?

Although natural fibres and un-natural fibres look similar as a fine thread theres a lot more complexity to natural fibre such as wool on a microscopic level with regards to its (perfect) suitability to be touching your skin and still allowing the skin to function as it should. Whereas something like polyester, as i understand it, although it may been formed in to a fine thread comparable to wool or cotton.. its still kind of like a solid strand and has no absorbtion/conductivity/breathability exept for the 'gaps' which are left between the 'solid' threads. I wouldn't even consider latex as a viable option for sweating in for prolonged periods! I honestly mean no offense but that seems horrible. I hope you find a better alternative!

And i hope you wash your hands when your on those food stops (A)

However i have considered using XXL Rubber gloves with the palms cut out on top of my Merino gloves for when it's torrential! I Have yet to do it though.

Cant say it enough... Natural Fibres :flowers:

You could also consider a topical cream to the skin to help generate heat and circulation? Anything that makes you go hot? Apparently simply a little olive oil can help.

Edited by sharn

I'm also not hugely taken with latex gloves, I've used them in the past when doing site surveys in the cold and my hands have got just as bad because my hands sweat, then go clammy :(

I think I'll take a punt with the windchill gloves and if I need more warmth look at getting some silk liners :)

I cant understand the logic of how latex gloves could add any warmth whatsoever? To add warmth you need to create a pocket or layer with a material that can actually retain heat? Knitted wool is perfect. Thats my basic principle?

For some reason i'm reminded of a t-shirt i saw once with the (contentious) illustration of the evolution of man.. with the guy at the end turned around saying 'Go back.. we went too far' :giggle:

I dont mean to be annoying but i'm totally convinced you will not be fully satisfied with those Nylon/ Polyester gloves. I have only bothered to write all this stuff because i know your problem as we've all experienced it. And after many years of riding i can say with confidence.. only wool is both warm and truly breathable and Leather is water repelleant and breathable. And neither will get offensively smelly like most 'cycling gloves'. These manufacturers of plasticy fabrics only rant on about things being waterproof and breathable so much because theyre trying to convince us they are.. because they know, we know, theyre not. And if they are breathable.. theyre not warm ( Like a mesh). Because nylon can only be breathable if its got actual physical gaps. They might have done it as well as it can be done .. but (from my experience) it's just nowhere near comparable to actual Wool. Especially Merino. Simple. Thinsulate lining is very warm and quite breathable.. but it will soon get smelly if its wrapped in synthetic material.

However plastic materials can be much tougher.. ( Although if someone made a decent Leather cycling glove At a reasonable price i'd be on it!) so thats why i found that using the above mentioned set up to be the best solution for performance/durability and cost. I'm not saying use the exact stuff i do.. just highly reccomending that the basic idea is (from my experience) a winner! And it won't smell rank and need washing all the time. And iv'e had plenty of 'cycling gloves' ..

Of course it's totally up to you. But i just feel (and know - having worked in cycling shops and understanding the actual cost of most of these cycling items) like people are getting inferior products and being ripped off for the privilege.

Also i'm trying to start a new tribe of Wool wearing bicycle bandits to re-claim the north! :pirate:

I'm going to experiment with a few set ups like a good double layer Merino Glove, in a thin (breathable) synthetic liner (only for durability doing more intensive riding and in wet conditions) inside a leather fingerless like this maybe? Or maybe just a straight up Merino inside these might work nicely?

Maybe go for the studs for extra ghetto points? :w00t: Check out the price..

Anyway, that's my pennys worth..take it or leave it i won't be offended. But i do wish you happy warm hands and all the best in everything else! Best is best.

(Y)

Edited by sharn

I've heard on Singletrack that the ultimate cold/wet weather gloves are the ones Aldi sell when they do bike stuff as their weekly offer. I've spoke to lads who will buy 2-3 pairs at a time, I know it doesn't really help right now but you'll know to keep an eye out for them in future!

The wife has pointed out that I may infact suffer from Raynauds, whilst I don't suffer symptoms anywhere near as bad as on the wikipedia page, she has pointed out that my hands do go pale when they're cold; I think I just haven't noticed it before! A relative of hers always had cold hands in the same way but was only in recent years that he has had a diagnosis of Raynauds.

I left the house this morning with normal temperature hands, drove to work (about 8 minutes) and almost instantly my fingers were cold. Got to work and despite it being warm my fingers are still cold yet my palms aren't. I'm going to keep a log of relative skin colour and temperatures between fingers, wrist, forearm and ambient and go see the doctor.

In the mean time I'll try with the windchill gloves with a silk or merino liner if need be, thanks all for comments and recommendations :)

The wife has pointed out that I may infact suffer from Raynauds, whilst I don't suffer symptoms anywhere near as bad as on the wikipedia page, she has pointed out that my hands do go pale when they're cold; I think I just haven't noticed it before! A relative of hers always had cold hands in the same way but was only in recent years that he has had a diagnosis of Raynauds.

I left the house this morning with normal temperature hands, drove to work (about 8 minutes) and almost instantly my fingers were cold. Got to work and despite it being warm my fingers are still cold yet my palms aren't. I'm going to keep a log of relative skin colour and temperatures between fingers, wrist, forearm and ambient and go see the doctor.

In the mean time I'll try with the windchill gloves with a silk or merino liner if need be, thanks all for comments and recommendations :)

Though iv'e not been diagnosed by a doctor as such.. i'm fairly certain i suffer from Raynauds also. Very often my freinds comment on how my hands or feet might look purple and sometimes i clearly have the tell tale 'white finger' thing also. I know i suffer from circulation problems and iv'e always suffered in the cold. When i was young i used to have ashtma that was triggered by the cold and was once found out on a winter sunday morning football match having almost turned blue (why did they give us thin polyester kits in the middle of winter eh? :wink:) I'm a very lean build and and not *particulalry* muscley these days ( less and less as i ride less trials) and over the last year or so iv'e realised i certainly have circulation problems if i dont take extra measures to help it.

Edit: No need for my life story and probably no bandwidth for it either.

Anyway, i'm just saying i know exactly what your saying about your hands.. i'm actually feeling it right now as i'm typing ( sitting arms raised at a computer is obviously not good for a start!)

Heres a Few things i've found in the last year or so do help.. not sitting too long with arms raised ( like now) doing a few finger push ups every so often just to get the blood circulating in the hands and get the heart rate going a little.

Excersize. Jumping and Fast walking is especially good if you have same problem with your feet.

Cold water! Believe it or not but put your hands under very cold water and after you'll notice they turn a lovely plush pink.. thats because it increases the circulation. I do this quite regulalry ( every few hours at least.. face, arms back of the neck and feet too only takes a few minutes and you can see the blood rush to your extremeties!) ( Cold water showers are very good for you as it's always been said.. but you gotta seriously man up to take 'em! it's actually suprisingly refreshing and seems to give you an energy boost too!

Iv'e never tried that ginger&pepper cream i linked you to but iv'e heard good things about topical creams.. I'm going to be looking into some home-made remedies - I'm sure we can make something ourselves. Simply Ex.Virgin Olive oil really does seem to help against 'windchill' ! This is why i'm interested to start looking into the natural topical applications more now also.

In terms of general warmth.. it's very important to keep the kidneys warm! i often tie a thick jumber around my waist when i'm sitting around not really doing much - especially this time of year when it's cold. I even borrowed a freinds military grade scottish kilt which was amazing! I understand what the kilt is all about now.. In cold climates Its very importantant to keep the kidneys warm.. it also increases strrEngth and powAHR! I'm looking out for a danny-mac inspired winter cycling kilt but it's yet to surface >_< Read- up about the importance of your kidneys & Chinese medicine. If you drink and smoke a lot this will not be doing you any favours.

Also the wrists.. get some toasty layers going with nice cuffs! I find this helps the hands immensely. Maybe some old school 'grebo' wrist bands? Like tennis players.. Infact, thats my next purchase.

And in terms of clothing.. Wool. Real 100% wool. Honestly man.. Its the stuff of champions. Layer it up. Im wearing half a farm yard right now :) still have to do the cold water thing periodically though.. for the extremeties!

(Also cotton/merino first layers purely cause it's less scratchy and doesnt smell like polyester when against the skin) I shop in charity shops because otherwise this would all cost £100s

Don't waste your time with polyester rubbish.. you want something that can actually retain heat in its molecular structure and that something begins with W and ends in...... (A)

Yes it's not 'waterproof' but thats why it's so good to have against your skin.. because it will 'wick' the sweat away from your skin 'through' the actual fibres thus allowing it to breathe. Water is not the enemy. Infact having cold wet hands will actually improve the circulation. But theres a limit and an XL Neoprene glove for example would be good to slip over the top when it tips it down.

If nothing else Please try cold water for 2 minutes next time you feel the cold hands.. 2 minutes later you'll notice they feel warmer and the circulation has improved. And if when your'e feeling man enough.. Cold showers!

Sorry for the long post.. I genuinely hope this helps!

In terms of gloves.. I'm sure The Endura windchills with a thick merino liner would certainly do a good job (Y)

Edited by sharn

It's all good information :)

I've not tried the cold water on hands trick, will see what happens next time I get cold fingers; if I have had cold fingers and I've warmed them up under the tap the hot/warm tap is unbearable and the cold tap always feels really hot to me, I guess this might be the blood running back into the fingers. I don't really have issues with my feet fortunately, obviously cold toes happen on the mountainbike but I think that is more to do with spd boots with mesh uppers in cold weather!

I always try to keep my kidneys and wrists warm anyway as it helps massively with keeping the rest of me warm. I've never smoked and I very rarely drink these days, even when I did it was never huge amounts (read that as I'm a lightweight :D ).

Have you used silk liners before or have you just stuck with wool because it works for you?

Yeah man.. know what you mean about the spd's.. i bet you can guess what i do to combat that...?? Thick Merino socks with a Gore Windstopper over-sock (not over shoe) Neoprene overshoes are good for freezing but i tend not to bother riding if it's icy.

Never tried silk liners.. Merino has never let me down. I'm currently wearing merino socks, long johns, base layer and top :w00t:

i like to keep warm (A)

Sounds odd but the cold water stimulates the circulation. Have you ever taken cold showers? If not i'd pre-warn your wife.. she'll think youre upto something strange when she hears you start moaning and gasping for air :giggle:

Jeez, i have written a lot.. good job iv'e not got any work on today.. o wait >_<

Got carried away. I tend to do that. Aye i dont bother drinking/smoking these days. rather stay healthy and feel good.

Anyways, All the best mate..

Edit: if you get 'white finger' the cold water might not overcome that as easily.. but for general 'cold hands' syndrome i find it works well.

Edited by sharn

After I got home from work yesterday afternoon I measured the relative temperatures of my arms/hands/fingers using my IR thermometer.

Inside of elbow was 34°C, inside of wrist was 32°C, palm of hand was 31°C, fingers were 24°C :o :o :o

Checked against my mum's hand (she had driven for 90 minutes to come round to babysit for us!) and her fingers were the same as her palms at 34°C, she recommended ginkgo biloba for general circulation so going to pick some up at the weekend and see if it helps any. In the mean time the gloves have arrived from CRC, I might try to get out on the bike this weekend if I find time :)

Edited by forteh

I wouldn't panic too much.. i think it's normal for many that the finger tips (and other extremeties) to be the coldest parts but it may very well be that you do not have the greatest circulation so you just need to do some extra things to help yourself out.. Obviously we're in the colder part of the year so at least we have spring and summer to look forward to :)

Theres loads of info about it seems and iv'e suggested a few things that iv'e heard over the last 6 months really? I myself have not tried The Ginkgo Biloba but ive read it around thats its definetly a big help.. Apparently coupled with other things it can do just the trick if its not a severe case. Or if you have not developed the phenomenom due to some other reason like trauma, infection of vein problem causing DVT etc (which i think is my case as i had a terrible ankle ligament damage, which seem to develop a tissue infection and cause vein issues around my inner ankle/foot and has left small marks - which look like signs of Scleroderma and DVT, which can be really serious. I'm only just realising this after over two years of ignoring it'. Luckily it seems that my body has dealt with the most part of it as all the aggressive signs of infection/swelling etc totally went away after about 8 months but i'm left with what seems like a bit of 'Symptomatic' Raynauds and some unusal skin marks around the area. I have changed to an extrememly health conscious diet over the last year or so.. including detoxing, fasting, cutting out sugar,salt and caffeine completely and i have to say i feel better than i ever have and the problems seem to have been dealt with.

Sorry for the life story.. thought it might be usefull incase you've had something trigger this yourself.

Also.. Garlic and Ginger! For a few years now ive been health conscious and I eat a fair bit of garlic.. (boiled) every few days and i drink ginger tea fairly regularly anyway so if you dont particularly maybe try to impliment it in your routine? Dont get me wrong.. i'm no expert by any means! Just trying to be freindly, share your concern and what ive been told as i do also have noticibly poor ( but by no means severe) circulation.

I'm convinced that a good topical cream/ointment would be very beneficial even if only to cause a warming sensation.. its may not actually 'improve' our circulation literally.. but at least encourage it. I'm going to start looking about for something.

The cold water 'remedy' seems to work well for me when i get cold hands. It sounds strange. But it may not be that cold but due to poor circuation my hands feel cold.. so by putting them in water that is far colder than the actual enviroment in which they felt cold in.. it seems to stimulate the body to try and warm them up more by sending more blood there.. leaving them feeling relatively good back in the 'normal' temperature. It's certainly restores a more usual looking rosey colour rather than a strage dull purple which they can sometimes go?! It seems to me to be a case of getting the body to send the blood there as much as actually warming up the 'dead' hand on the radiator or something. But i do then try to keep my hands warm after doing this.. if that makes sense?

In terms of the cold showers.. i'm only just really getting into that myself but the benefits are well known and widely advised. People have been doing this for general health for a very long time and it'd be beneficial to anyone. Especially someone who need a bit of stimulation. It's not the most pleasant and what i do is have a normal warm (30-35degree) shower for a few minutes.. get the cubicle nice and steamy so the enviroment is actually quite warm, then i just suddenly switch the water right down to cold and wait for the shock! i find that frantically rubbing the area thats being subjected to the cold water helps deal with it .. kind of match the extreme tempertaure with and extreme reaction.. ( so gasping and yelping, squirming and rubbing like a mad man help counter act the coldness! Like when you 'shin dig' the pedals so bad you have to dance around to counter act the pain! :P ) but have now started to be able to just relax and withstand it. After the initial shock.

But i have a ritual of washing my hands,face, forearms,neck, and feet with cold water every few hours and theres clearly helps stimulate the circulation ( Like a mini cold shower) and is also extrememly refreshing and quite adictive! Like i get to a point after a few hours where i know i just need to go and do it to liven myself up if iv'e started to feel a bit 'dull'.

Obviously, after using cold water.. still then try to keep warm! So toasty clothing, warm socks / cuffs etc and i find a good wooly hat helps loads. But you said you dont have much trouble other than your hands so maybe just try get a pair a wooly fingerless?

You said you already know about keeping kidneys warm and stuff. This is a ancient wisdom And one of the best bits of advice for i got for just general warmth.

Anyway, can't really share much more than that. But i hope you find some effective solutions and it doesnt cause you too much bother (Y)

I terms of gloves.. i know theyre not that good for technical riding but those first gloves i linked are extremely warm for general everyday use and 'relaxed hand' riding like road. But i do hope youre new Enduras serve you well (Y)

All the best,

Edited by sharn