Are the Continental Danny Mac tyres worth it?

uk24

Looking at swapping out my holyrollers to something else, but the Continental tyres are twice the price and heavier so can't really see much benefit but there aren't that many 24inch tyres to choose from just wondered what others who have used them think of them?

Edited by uk24

Punctures aren't an issue, not had one yet and I smash them up a lot. I had a lot of punctures on Holy Rollers, got to the point where I wouldn't even bother with drop gaps to sharp stuff because I knew they'd let me down. Grip is much better too. It's just a much better tyre, sidewalls are much thicker & more stable.

It's a genuine get what you pay for situation.

Edited by LEON

Ditto to what Leon said. I used to swear by Holy Rollers, but was amazed at just how much better the Conti's are. On street they're a lot nicer in every way, but on natural they're noticeably grippier than my Holy Rollers ever were. Nice and stable, good puncture protection, grippy compound - pretty ideal. They've been lasting me pretty well too. Put them on back in August/September time and they've still got a reasonable amount of life left in them now.

No they're just a big bmx tyre, I had them on a bmx about 12 years ago and I think they're made for dirt. But yeah we're not exactly not spoilt for choice so we made do with it, now we don't have to!

I try not to touch rails with Holy Rollers, but the contis feel great on rail to rail gaps etc, with Rollers if they're too soft it's a guaranteed puncture, too hard and you have zero grip yet the piss thin sidewalls still manage to fold.

Edited by LEON

No they're just a big bmx tyre, I had them on a bmx about 12 years ago and I think they're made for dirt. But yeah we're not exactly not spoilt for choice so we made do with it, now we don't have to!

I try not to touch rails with Holy Rollers, but the contis feel great on rail to rail gaps etc, with Rollers if they're too soft it's a guaranteed puncture, too hard and you have zero grip yet the piss thin sidewalls still manage to fold.

I think it's this that put me off riding my street bike.

• Like 1

Seen lot's of punctures on rides with conti's and lots or riders struggling to get them back on the rim! Also seen riders running them super deformed and even riders just not going for some gaps because they don't want to get a puncture.

I'm on a Odyssey P-Lite 2.35 dual ply, wire bead and 50a compound.

That's obviously a tad narrower than usual but it feels good (I'm currently on a 47mm rim, changing down to a 35 soon) grippy and I've fair hammered it at some gaps to make sure it's up to the job and haven't pinched yet, wire bead just tops it off for me. Knowing that if you did dent your rim for any reason your tyre isn't going to deform or pop off is a bit more reassuring. The only negative is that in the wet it wouldn't grip the same as a Air King down to the profile pattern.

Edit: I've ridden a fair amount of street on the tyre, also Shipey glen in the woods and not had any grip issues (mainly just suck at natural).

Edited by Paperclip

Seen lot's of punctures on rides with conti's and lots or riders struggling to get them back on the rim! Also seen riders running them super deformed and even riders just not going for some gaps because they don't want to get a puncture.

They need to learn to land and learn to put tyres on :P Seriously though, there will always be 'good and 'bad' reviews for every tyre, as this thread shows.

Whats the (actual, not manufacturer claimed) weight like on the Odyssey Luke?

They need to learn to land and learn to put tyres on :P Seriously though, there will always be 'good and 'bad' reviews for every tyre, as this thread shows.

Whats the (actual, not manufacturer claimed) weight like on the Odyssey Luke?

I don't have anything to accurately measure it from but I would (after doing the standard holding it up against other tyre's that I have in my garage) say it was around the 700g mark. When I come in I'll bring my new pair with me.

Edit: Just found the "Claimed" weight of the tyre is 560g e2d016bb0b9f69f2b217c657a2ff4aa590796bf3

Edited by Paperclip
  • Like 1

Ali snake bit doing a hook on a sloped wall a couple of weeks ago. Fatty.

I did, but to be fair my backwheel hit the corner from the vertical to slope transition really hard :P Plus I wasn't trying to hook it, I was trying to bunny tap it to back wheel ;)

I had a pair of Oddyssey tyres, I think they're around a kilo each (deffo over 900g). I liked them on my brakeless bike as they have quite a numb feeling which I found good for softening landings with no brakes but I found them too lifeless on my braked bike, I had to drop the pressure down but then they folded more.

• Like 1

"900kg"? :P They're definitely heavy, but not that heavy ;) I bought a set ages ago and they were weighty. Like Ali says they've got a kind of 'dead' feeling that I liked on my BMX but wasn't keen on on my 24. I wasn't a huge fan of the profile of them either.

they're a nightmare to put on I've found, as well as others due to a big problem they're known to have regarding shape... however, best grip by far

Seen lot's of punctures on rides with conti's and lots or riders struggling to get them back on the rim! Also seen riders running them super deformed...

In terms of the 'shape' thing, I think a lot of that is down to how it's fitted. If you get a bit of a deformation in it you can easily sort that out by just letting the tyre down a bit, getting it seated again inflating it and going on your way. I landed a wallride 180 at about the 90° mark (skillz) and got a beast of a tyre roll which led to the tyre getting a 'bump' in it that nearly rubbed my frame. When I was rolling along I could feel the tyre doing it which wasn't great. All I did was let the tyre down to around 10psi, squeezed the bead of the tyre back into the centre of the tyre so it seated properly, then pumped it up to around 60psi or so. It made the "ping" noise of it firmly getting set against the rim, then I just let it down to my usual 35psi - pussy wrists represent. Once I'd done that though it was as good as new. That's the same way I fitted it initially by the way - worked like a charm.

They can be a bit of a handful to fit (fitting them on the Skye Teams to Pimplite rims is approx. 0% fun) but I think that's just the folding bead meaning they don't hold a tyre shape like wire beads do, but that's not really much of an issue. I'd rather have an awesome tyre that's slightly trickier to fit than a shitty tyre that goes on nice and easily :P

To the OP guy though - if you're running K-Rads anything will be a big improvement! Even just a switch to Holy Rollers would be good, but the Contis will be a huge difference.

• Like 3

I see they get good reviews on here, but my point is that the kenda and maxxis offering and even dmr tyres are least half the price of these conti tyres, maybe I'm just getting older but £100 quid for a set of tyres seems expensive to me. That being said Danny doesn't seem to put his name to anything unless its high end that POC stuff he wears is super expensive and that santa cruz bike is like 8 grand.