Are the Continental Danny Mac tyres worth it?

uk24

2 hours ago, Big G said:

How much room was there on fat Albert either side 

Have run a Fat Albert and a Big Betty on my Radix and both were more than fine for clearance? I've got sport lite rims and even on those they were fine? You'll have no problem I reckon :) 

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

Thats just contis, i rim out at 45-50 psi. I like them at 40 but always get punctures.

Do you rim out on 'everything' or just when you're doing something big?

Cos I don't rim out that often at 45psi, but get the odd puncture when I'm trying something a bit big or land something a sketchier than my usual sketchiness

Not on everything, and i dont usually run 50 for long its way too hard. Its usually rolling gaps with sharp edges to be fair, but i am put off doing some stuff just because i think im going to get a flat. Probably technique as well, im not smooth on landing gaps. Just when i ride with @Paperclip, you see how much abuse his tyre takes, dual ply would make sense.

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not on everything, and i dont usually run 50 for long its way too hard. Its usually rolling gaps with sharp edges to be fair, but i am put off doing some stuff just because i think im going to get a flat. Probably technique as well, im not smooth on landing gaps. Just when i ride with @Paperclip, you see how much abuse his tyre takes, dual ply would make sense.

If they pinch this easy at 40-50psi what'd they be like at 25 odd? I'm only a scrawny kid and weigh next to nothing, but if they're that much hassle at a higher psi are they just going to pinch every 2 seconds on a tgs/comp rig?

6 minutes ago, RossBurnside said:

If they pinch this easy at 40-50psi what'd they be like at 25 odd? I'm only a scrawny kid and weigh next to nothing, but if they're that much hassle at a higher psi are they just going to pinch every 2 seconds on a tgs/comp rig?

Probably. I didn't ride it long on my 24'' Echo but at 30 psi, combined with my lack of technique and weight of around 90kg I had two punctures where I wouldn't have one with the Maxxis Super Tacky tire I ran before.

I bottom out at 45 doing a bunny hop onto an edge.

Edited by niconj

Luke is a bigger unit than most though (no offence luke - :wub:), so the extra weight is less noticeable as his tree trunk legs are able to power through. In addition it looks like he does run his tyres quite soft so he can do those big sidehops...

@RossBurnside - I've slowly been bumping the pressure up over the past couple of months as I've been trying bigger stuff, it does take a bit of getting used to, but certainly wouldn't be running them less then 40psi now. I don't think they pinch 'that easy', we're saying they pinch every now and then (as every tire does). I used to pinch my high rollers / der Kaisers at 20 psi regularly, so it can happen with any tyre.

Answering the post's questions, when you consider weight vs. puncture protection vs. rolling resistance of all the available tyres, the conti's stand out as the obvious winner (IMO). They do seem to work well on 24" long bikes too (as Ross has demonstrated) but I'd think for regular use on some slimy rocks on the side of a hill, there may be better options.

• Like 2

Mines are now 1 year old and they took abusive sketchy landing. I rolled a lot between spots. They are pretty slick now and still grip a lot! 

Despite they have really thin wall (mines have tiny holes on the top) I don't get pinch that often at 45 psi. With spike rims. Using DH tube.

Rim out never happened to me. But once I "bent" the rear one being around 35 psi and trying a spin . But now it's fine. Back to normal form. 

I can't speak about Big moves though. 

I have seen Clement Moreno litteraly destroy front one on a 360 at high PSI . But with Atomlab octane rims. Too thin. 

Then rim out seems to not often happen with wider rims as spank. 

I am more than happy with them they worth my monney. 

2 hours ago, ben_travis said:

I've slowly been bumping the pressure up over the past couple of months as I've been trying bigger stuff, it does take a bit of getting used to, but certainly wouldn't be running them less then 40psi now. I don't think they pinch 'that easy', we're saying they pinch every now and then (as every tire does). I used to pinch my high rollers / der Kaisers at 20 psi regularly, so it can happen with any tyre.

Yeah fair play, it's tgs mainly rather than comp, but from my experience on other's bikes they even grip on wet mossy ledges, best for grip by far I reckon

• Like 1