Road Bike/Hybrid Help

CurtisRider

I'm feeling the urge to have a road bike, however I'm not really sure what I want/need as its a territory of cycling I haven't ventured much into. I'm not interested in going really fast, and I find myself usually in the upright position when borrowing friends bikes, so i'm thinking a flat bar setup may suit me-does that mean a hybrid may be more suitable? I quite like the idea of cyclocross and wouldn't mind the option to run knobblies however it seems most bikes can't take them.

I'm 6ft2 so I guess I want about a 58cm frame? Ideally i'd like to spend no more than £150 on a secondhand bike, however judging by what I have found on Gumtree and Ebay there is naff all good stuff available for that, so realistically what should I be looking to spend to get something acceptable? Not after super light/modern stuff, but of course that would be a great bonus.

Any help would be much appreciated!

I'd say you want to be looking at at least spending £500 second hand on a cx bike. If you'd rather run flats or low risers then you'll want something with a long top tube to balance it out without the need to run a stupid long stem. Something like a Genesis CdF is a good bike (love my 2015 model).

Yeah that seems to be the case but my budget won't stretch to that unless I do monthly payments. The Genesis looks spot on! Maybe that's what I can aspire to own if I get into this malarky!

I saw a road bike on eBay earlier that fitted my budget and looked like I could make a profit off it if I didn't like it, my offer of £100 was accepted for this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261857436022?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have a spare wheelset to put on it, although it would be pretty funky to get some disc forks and an A2Z adaptor and run my spare disc brakes!

Collected it, well chuffed for the money! I've been scavenging in my parts box and found some fresh cables, carbon seat post, alloy spider cassette, new chain, some better seats (i'll buy a spoon though as I like them) some flats (i'll save for SPDs at some point) and lightweight rotors ready for when I get suitable forks/rear mount :dance: It has some pretty beefy wheels on it, perfect for cylocross, they weigh an absolute ton so i'll see if I can get some cheap light hubs later on or even a second wheelset. I need a front brake, anybody got one spare?

DSC_0609_zps1ttfttdp.jpg

DSC_0610_zpsomdtphvb.jpg

Looking forward to getting this rebuilt and ready for hoooooning :)

Parts fitted :D Just need to work on the fit of the bike (i'm currently fiddling with the seat positioning, feels better further forwards oddly) although i'd say it's pretty much how I want it to feel now. I'll invest in SPDs and shoes at some point. Now to rack up some miles!

DSC_0692_zpszmv6oulp.jpg

DSC_0691_zpsc34ebvai.jpg

• Like 1