Tarty Days 2015

AdamR28

.And as for the drug smoking I wouldn't have been as bothered if it was don't discretely as it was the previous years but he fact there were riders actually riding around during the day with a spliff hanging out of their mouth with youngsters around is very annoying!!

Since tartydays is suitable for families of all ages, yes, i agree it was ridiculous. Didn't impact me, but i wasn't the only rider there... so others will have oppinions. I think some riders just need to consider how appropriate they need to be around young people and families with young'ns.

However, tartydays was fantastic!

Since tartydays is suitable for families of all ages, yes, i agree it was ridiculous. Didn't impact me, but i wasn't the only rider there... so others will have oppinions. I think some riders just need to consider how appropriate they need to be around young people and families with young'ns.

However, tartydays was fantastic!

It wouldn't have bothered me if they weren't sat near out tents doing it!

• Like 1

I don't usually get involved with these debates but I feel your being very unfair. You say the positives out way the negatives but you haven't mentioned one positive thing, all you have done is complain. I myself had a fantastic weekend as always, didn't come across anybody smoking drugs (I'm not saying there wasn't anybody it just clearly isn't as widespread as your making out.) How much stock do you actually expect Tarty to bring down there's only so much room in a van. All the guys work very hard, not just during the event but the weeks and months before and after and I don't feel they deserve to have there event trash talked like this. As for not being able to get your car out if you had brought enough things with you you wouldn't have had to move your car so it wouldn't have mattered mine was more stuck than yours and that thought didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks again to all the guys at Tarty bikes and friends for making it such a cracking weekend can't wait till next year!

• Like 2

A massive thank you to all of the grafters, Adam and the Tarty boys work their balls off all weekend and get zero time to ride which must be a shame seeing as thats the best bit, the whole Mitchell family worked for weeks leading up to this making sure we all had some new things to ride/electricity in the field and all the other guys such as observers of the free trial all did an amazing job.

My thoughts on the weekend were that it was a brilliant one. Riding with so many different riders and getting to watch how the best riders in the world practice is my favourite part. There aren't many sports that you can hang out with the world champ and fire water in his face.

Free trial was a great idea, fun, taxing and short enough that nobody got bored or fed up. Big thumbs up

See you next year

• Like 3

Sorry to sound like such a moaner but I do feel like I didn't enjoy it's as greatly as I did last year or the year before.

Not at all, thanks for the feedback (Y)

I understand where you are coming from on all the points, but there is no perfect solution! I'll try and explain.

Parking / camping: We simply cannot afford to have one person stood there all the time arranging the field, so my preferred way to do this - which has worked before - is to tell the first few people to park / set up in an organised way, then hopefully they can spread the word and everyone else will follow suit. However, with people turning up really really early (around lunchtime on Friday) when we were still running around like pricks setting up there was no way we could police it. The overflow field is there as an, er, overflow, so if you don't feel there's enough space in the main field you are welcome to use it.

Re. the suggestion of cars in one field and tents in another - that would be my preference so then everyone can get in and out in their cars at any time they wish - we discussed this one year but it met resistance from people who prefer to camp next to their car so they can store all the bits in the dry / securely they need and get to them easily. There is no perfect solution... but maybe a half way house is to ask people who don't want their car to be blocked all weekend to park on the other side of the road? By the way, coming and parking by the trade stands was a bit of a silly thing to do as you were 100% blocked in then :P And I was close to asking you to shift it.

The amount of stuff we took was actually the same monetary value (to within 5%) as last year (I've just checked our stock system), but we concentrated on taking items from the brands who were supporting the event as a thank you (more on that in a minute), and a larger quantity of stuff that actually sells (so it's worth our time). Then we offered the click and collect for people who might want something a bit specific / random which we wouldn't have normally taken. Again, a compromise - we thought it worked better than last year but without feedback both for and against we're not sure now...

The night entertainment was actually exactly the same as last year (Mario Kart and video playlist), apart from we dropped the hit the nail competition as Onza pulled out only a few weeks before. As a family do, having a loud drunken game going on well into the night probably wasn't the best idea either. Jitsie (and their gazebo fortress) and Abel also pulled out on the Monday immediately before the event, so we were praying for good weather so people could get outside in the evening - personally I thought this was better than sitting in gazebos but if we'd have had both options as planned that would have been ideal I guess.

I can't believe I didn't smell what was going on with people smoking stuff (have a very keen nose for weed after uni, haha), who was it? These people would definitely have been ejected if someone had come and said! It was a family event so that is not on at all.

All that said, if anyone thought something was better than last year we'd be happy to hear about it - we just want to run a good event even though it costs us money to do it (although closer to break even this year thanks to Mick having electric put in meaning we could chop the generators from the hire charge), screws the shop up for the week before, the week after and leaves a host of completely knackered people during and afterwards.

------

On a different note - as has been said, it's not just us that puts the hard work in, there's a lot that happens at the venue in the weeks beforehand, which helps things come together on the day(s) - you know who you are, thanks!

• Like 8

Not at all, thanks for the feedback (Y)

I understand where you are coming from on all the points, but there is no perfect solution! I'll try and explain.

Parking / camping: We simply cannot afford to have one person stood there all the time arranging the field, so my preferred way to do this - which has worked before - is to tell the first few people to park / set up in an organised way, then hopefully they can spread the word and everyone else will follow suit. However, with people turning up really really early (around lunchtime on Friday) when we were still running around like pricks setting up there was no way we could police it. The overflow field is there as an, er, overflow, so if you don't feel there's enough space in the main field you are welcome to use it.

Re. the suggestion of cars in one field and tents in another - that would be my preference so then everyone can get in and out in their cars at any time they wish - we discussed this one year but it met resistance from people who prefer to camp next to their car so they can store all the bits in the dry / securely they need and get to them easily. There is no perfect solution... but maybe a half way house is to ask people who don't want their car to be blocked all weekend to park on the other side of the road? By the way, coming and parking by the trade stands was a bit of a silly thing to do as you were 100% blocked in then :P And I was close to asking you to shift it.

The amount of stuff we took was actually the same monetary value (to within 5%) as last year (I've just checked our stock system), but we concentrated on taking items from the brands who were supporting the event as a thank you (more on that in a minute), and a larger quantity of stuff that actually sells (so it's worth our time). Then we offered the click and collect for people who might want something a bit specific / random which we wouldn't have normally taken. Again, a compromise - we thought it worked better than last year but without feedback both for and against we're not sure now...

The night entertainment was actually exactly the same as last year (Mario Kart and video playlist), apart from we dropped the hit the nail competition as Onza pulled out only a few weeks before. As a family do, having a loud drunken game going on well into the night probably wasn't the best idea either. Jitsie (and their gazebo fortress) and Abel also pulled out on the Monday immediately before the event, so we were praying for good weather so people could get outside in the evening - personally I thought this was better than sitting in gazebos but if we'd have had both options as planned that would have been ideal I guess.

I can't believe I didn't smell what was going on with people smoking stuff (have a very keen nose for weed after uni, haha), who was it? These people would definitely have been ejected if someone had come and said! It was a family event so that is not on at all.

All that said, if anyone thought something was better than last year we'd be happy to hear about it - we just want to run a good event even though it costs us money to do it (although closer to break even this year thanks to Mick having electric put in meaning we could chop the generators from the hire charge), screws the shop up for the week before, the week after and leaves a host of completely knackered people during and afterwards.

------

On a different note - as has been said, it's not just us that puts the hard work in, there's a lot that happens at the venue in the weeks beforehand, which helps things come together on the day(s) - you know who you are, thanks!

I understand fully all the points above and I can't thank you guys enough for putting your selves out just so we can have a good weekend.

As for where I parked my car, the plan was to sleep in it and because a couple of baffoons pitched a tent blocking the exit/entrance to our little camp, literally the only way to get anywhere near was to park where I'd placed it. I didn't think this was a problem it was out of the way but I'd have gladly moved it if you'd have requested.

As for the people smoking weed, I'm not going to name any names because I'm not that much of a cnut but I'm pretty sure someone will tell you.

With the mentioning of the stall, it would have been nice to have a bit more selection on other brands. I fully understand the fact you where supporting heatsink and trialtech but a set of tnn pads and a rockman rim where what I was ideally after ended up with heatsink yellows and a trialtech rim (which works awesome btw )

But anyway my suggestions for next year would be a bit more option on the stall

A couple of white lines on the ground to mark a place for no tents so people can get in and out or park the cars right around the perimeter and place all tents in the centre which is an easy way to solve it.

But once again thanks for a great weekend and I looks forward to 2016!!

There was the side part of the field where you could've parked and had no issues as you'd have been able to get in/out and also been away from the riding part which is where people are naturally going to congregate at night (from having a look around in the morning on the Sunday it seemed most of the families had chosen that option so they were away from any potential drunken shenanigans). In terms of where peoples tents were and where your car was, I had more than a few people mention that they weren't too happy with where you'd parked over the weekend so it wasn't like it was you who was the one necessarily getting put out there...

I get what you mean about wanting TNN pads and so on, but as Adam mentioned before they were trying to support the brands who supported the event. I know first hand how much trouble Inspired and Trialtech went to prepping for the event, creating their stands and providing prizes and support for the events that happened over the weekend, and similarly it was clear that Steve put the hours in too. To me it seems more fair that as a result of their hard work they get more exposure on the shop stand and as a result got more sales (especially seeing as for most of the rest of the year brands that put way more into trials than others get no credit for it). For the majority of instances where people would want specific stuff I imagine that the 'Click and Collect' option would have worked too with a bit of prior planning. A reasonable amount of people took them up on that and it seemed to work out well.

• Like 1

screw tartydays, when are you getting trampydays sorted adam?

Piletech ;)

Anyway, I had a great time :D was sorry to hear when I talked to you adam that the van which was stolen a while back hadn't been recovered :( I thought it was much better than last year, weather held up besides a few little bits, everyone was super helpful and just generally nice. Met a bunch of awesome people too.

Edited by Herbertlemon102
  • Like 1

We need more tartydays / radfest type events at other places, I know there aren't many other venues other than barrow farm but seeing the same obstacles twice a year is a bit of a down side.

Netley Marsh has some big plans for the next coming years... and this year, kinda, but it can only grow.

And no it wont be "Flawless does Netley", not even close.

Think it's weird that people are complaining about the store. Surely just buy it online it's always next day delivery anyway so it's not like you have to wait weeks and the only time you can buy parts is at this event??

It'd a riding Weekend :S think some people are moaning for the sake of moaning rather than giving constructive criticism.

• Like 2

Think it's weird that people are complaining about the store. Surely just buy it online it's always next day delivery anyway so it's not like you have to wait weeks and the only time you can buy parts is at this event??

It'd a riding Weekend :S think some people are moaning for the sake of moaning rather than giving constructive criticism.

Only reason I brought it up was because I broke the brake caliper in my inspired and tarty didn't have one with them. Ended up buying a second hand bike while I was there just so I could ride and it turned out I was a wreck so needed a lot of parts which eventually got sorted but not exactly how I'd of liked it but it's Sod's law I guess

The guy that nearly got killed by joe mahers Nerf ball

Ive got a decent throw, but that throw inparticular...well..It was spectacular hahahha!!

Yeah, one of the main things I learned from Tarty Days this year was to never f**k with Joe Maher when there's a Nerf thing involved. Serious business.

You know!

We need more tartydays / radfest type events at other places, I know there aren't many other venues other than barrow farm but seeing the same obstacles twice a year is a bit of a down side.

I just wrote out a huge reply, but ditched it because it sounded way to bitchy and thats not what this thread is about...but..

The same venue for 2 events..think why?? Its really not that hard.

If you can think of a better venue that offers the same amount of riding with all the same facilitys as radical bikes , im sure adam would be keen to know about it as i sure as hell dont know anywhere? #RantOver

Great event from Tarty, so much hard work goes into it..Soooo much behind the scenes stuff which no-one even thinks about.Thanks to all the Tartycrew and the many helpers. And also thanks to Mick Mitchell and the mitchell family for all there hardwork they put into the venue.

• Like 2

If you can think of a better venue that offers the same amount of riding with all the same facilitys as radical bikes , im sure adam would be keen to know about it as i sure as hell dont know anywhere?

Yeah, we have been trying to think of somewhere else too, for a few reasons. We even considered trying to build a trials park just for Tarty Days this year, but the venue was double booked (and I wasn't 100% keen on the idea!).

There's Bob MacGregor, but without having been there myself I don't know how well it would lend itself to an event like Tarty Days. Something different - yes, it could be awesome - but when there needs to be a 'group' atmosphere for a few of the mini-events I think it could be too spread out.

Would people be up for something like this at a natural spot? Tech 04 was awesome for those who remember that far back, and Bracken Rocks was a good venue.

• Like 1

Gutted i missed out on TartyDays really enjoyed it last year despite the rain. This years looked bang on weather wise! Will be going Radfest though!

Don't forget Adam as i mentioned a while ago on our park (Not to far from Blyton race track ;) ) Its situated on a Motocross track in Scunthorpe. It has a massive field for camping! The owner has been brilliant and supportive with us since day 1 so can't complain on that!

Building a trials park is a challenge but at the same time fun. A lot of time, effort and hard work goes into it. I know this myself along with many others. Thinkdougie was the man who got this started by contacting the owner to see if there was any spare land for us to practice.

Heres a few pics not massive i know... But we enjoy it!

I could imagine building a park for a weekend event but would be a pain... I remember the endless drives a few of us use to have driving around industrial estates trying to source additional obstacles... To say we have had it a year we have done very well! Also trying to source concrete pipes, rocks and logistics is a struggle hence why we haven't got any.

Please note this park is on private land.

11039879_493047520848502_430906056845902

11102851_470099979809923_71226644137147010428122_456453874507867_844839613558180995080_439570062862915_19615889099782448

11193231_482432731909981_23752137308777311178305_476276202525634_659390407801548

Edited by AndeeeMK2
  • Like 3

I just wrote out a huge reply, but ditched it because it sounded way to bitchy and thats not what this thread is about...but..

The same venue for 2 events..think why?? Its really not that hard.

If you can think of a better venue that offers the same amount of riding with all the same facilitys as radical bikes , im sure adam would be keen to know about it as i sure as hell dont know anywhere? #RantOver

Great event from Tarty, so much hard work goes into it..Soooo much behind the scenes stuff which no-one even thinks about.Thanks to all the Tartycrew and the many helpers. And also thanks to Mick Mitchell and the mitchell family for all there hardwork they put into the venue.

I didn't mean to come across as shitting on everyone's efforts or having a moan, I had a fantastic time.

My entire point is that Its a shame there aren't more locations like radical bikes

When you think of the amount of money that gets dumped into skateparks (and more recently pump tracks) by councils everywhere it's a pity some of that couldn't be syphoned off into some kind of trials park arrangement. I don't see it happening due to such low numbers of potential users, but every time I see a really badly designed and built pre-fab skatepark I always wonder what you could have had instead for that money. There was a trials park in NZ I visited while I was over there that was pretty simple but catered for all riders from beginners up to elites and would have been pretty simple to build. It'd require more maintenance than a crappy metal quarter or flatbank-to-nowhere council park, but at least it would probably see some use...

When you think of the amount of money that gets dumped into skateparks (and more recently pump tracks) by councils everywhere it's a pity some of that couldn't be syphoned off into some kind of trials park arrangement. I don't see it happening due to such low numbers of potential users, but every time I see a really badly designed and built pre-fab skatepark I always wonder what you could have had instead for that money. There was a trials park in NZ I visited while I was over there that was pretty simple but catered for all riders from beginners up to elites and would have been pretty simple to build. It'd require more maintenance than a crappy metal quarter or flatbank-to-nowhere council park, but at least it would probably see some use...

In Bradford there's a fitness and parkour style set-up and it's fun to ride it's low down stuff but it's decent, more of that would always be a bonus.

Although I only go to Radical bikes at these events in my head 50% of it is just for the social, a huge part of the success of Radfest and Tartydays seems to come from the lack of big group rides.

Adam: I would be happy to do a event on natural in a location with camping but it would only get my vote if it was a separate event to Tartydays, something like the Tyke trial fun day's they used to have? in the middle of summer would be pretty sweet, what sort of locations cater for us camping?

...a huge part of the success of Radfest and Tartydays seems to come from the lack of big group rides.

I haven't been to Radfest so couldn't really comment on that side of things, but I think part of the appeal of Tarty Days for some people is that it's pretty family-orientated. The family tickets, inclusive events and all that jazz mean that there have been a bunch of families who've attended each one. At the end of the weekend there are always Mums and Dads coming to the stand to say thanks for putting the weekend on and how much their kids have enjoyed it, and I think that aspect of things is never going to replaced by group rides. Similarly brands showing off new things on stands and getting the 'big name riders' isn't really going to happen on a group ride - if you're just there for the social then I can see that wouldn't really be of much interest, but I think a lot of the people who go to Tarty Days are into that side of things as the stands are usually pretty busy throughout the weekend. I popped my head into the Tarty stand to recharge batteries from time to time and it was generally hectic in there.

Definitely scope for events like the Phoenix London ride and Section 01, they were both really fun to be involved with and would certainly cater to a different type of rider.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed Tartydays! Thanks so much to Adam and the guys at the shop for all their hard work, to Inspired for supporting the event and getting rad trophies made and to the folks from Barrow Farm for all their hard work and anyone else I missed (sorry).

I loved meeting everyone and I'm so glad to see so many younger riders getting involved (especially all those taking the streetier approach), the comps were great and I'm stoked to have won the Trialodrome (awesome concept) though I'm sure if Euan didn't mess up and if Prattley was there for the final the results would be a bit different.

I can't wait to see photos and footage from the event :)